Turkey Day meal planning ... what's your favorite side?

BuffaloBill

I usually pulled the leg of lamb off the heat when it reached 120. You'd still get some rare in the middle. But what I preferred was to stick a metal skewer in the meat for a bit and put it to my lip. I trust my lip over a thermometer.

You used my gratin recipe and put fennel in it?? :censored::cry::doh::D

I did , and the fennel added a nice flavor I thought..I used very little, less than half a bulb very thinly sliced..you should try it sometime :thumbsup:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did , and the fennel added a nice flavor I thought..I used very little, less than half a bulb very thinly sliced..you should try it sometime :thumbsup:

I don't know man. You just don't mess with the tried and true, the perfect, the ultimate fantastic meal. I bet you've even made Retatta without the pickle juice haven't you?

So, finally got around to doing the leg of lamb on the grill and this gratin on Sunday. I added some fennel in with the dish, and it turned out great. The lamb on OTOH sucked. I somehow overcooked it on the Egg..and medium lamb is as useful as boobies on a bull. Don't get it as my temp gauge said 140 when i pulled it off, but after resting was just past medium. My wife and kids liked it(or at least they are liers), i wa spissed a $35 piece of meat was destroyed.

When your letting meat rest, the temperature is stabilizing and the juice/blood is redistributing itself inside the meat. So while this is happening the meat is actually still cooking during the resting/tenting period. So next time (this goes with any cut), have whatever temperature you have in mind and pull the meat before that temperature. If it is a small piece of meat, and you want to achieve 140 pull the meat and let it start resting at 135-137. For a large roast pull it 6-7 (maybe more) degrees before the desired temp. The larger the cut, the longer it will need to rest. Next time try taking the temp before and after the resting period to get that idea.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Oh, and another tip when using a meat thermometer is always find the thickest area of the meat to insert the thermometer and don't insert the thermometer to deep where it touches bone. That will give a false high reading. Where the correct place is can vary but in terms of birds like whole chickens or turkey the best place is the thigh. I will usually take another reading in the breast as well just for the sake of it.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever