This Is What Is Wrong With Sports Today

H2o

If Sabathia opts out, he will leave behind four years and $92 million on his contract. Sabathia wants to return to the Bronx, but the two sides were trying to formulate a new deal that both sides found fair.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7168507/new-york-yankees-pick-options-robinson-cano-nick-swisher

We are in the midst of the most challenging economic situation in likely a century. People are struggling to find jobs, pay bills, put food on the table, and put gas in their vehicles for getting where they need to go. Then you have this. A guy who's salary will average $23,000,000 over the next 4 years of his life, but he and his agent want a new deal (I'm sure it's not for less money) or he will walk somewhere else that he/they can get what he/they want. Just say he brings home half of that after taxes. That would be $11,500,000. That is enough money to cover almost 350 housholds for a year, @ an average of $33,000. That would not be living it up by any means, but it is what could be done with that much money. But no, the two sides are working on a new deal that will be "fair" for both sides. <_<

http://espn.go.com/n...no-nick-swisher

We are in the midst of the most challenging economic situation in likely a century. People are struggling to find jobs, pay bills, put food on the table, and put gas in their vehicles for getting where they need to go. Then you have this. A guy who's salary will average $23,000,000 over the next 4 years of his life, but he and his agent want a new deal (I'm sure it's not for less money) or he will walk somewhere else that he/they can get what he/they want. Just say he brings home half of that after taxes. That would be $11,500,000. That is enough money to cover almost 350 housholds for a year, @ an average of $33,000. That would not be living it up by any means, but it is what could be done with that much money. But no, the two sides are working on a new deal that will be "fair" for both sides. dry.gif

99% of the 99% would seek as much money as they could as well. It's a rich guy trying to get more from an even richer guy, what's that have to do with the current economic situation? It's not like that money is going to be magically redistributed to the poor. He helps generate revenue, he wants a bigger piece of that, I'm not seeing your correlation here. Seems silly to us, but I doubt anyone would turn down a raise if they could force their employers hand for one.

99% of the 99% would seek as much money as they could as well. It's a rich guy trying to get more from an even richer guy, what's that have to do with the current economic situation? It's not like that money is going to be magically redistributed to the poor. He helps generate revenue, he wants a bigger piece of that, I'm not seeing your correlation here. Seems silly to us, but I doubt anyone would turn down a raise if they could force their employers hand for one.

I understand your point and know that the money is not being ditributed to the needy, but the greed of it all is what is disheartening I guess. A guy who is scheduled to make $23 million dollas for the next 4 years of his life is looking for something more "fair". Really?

I understand your point and know that the money is not being ditributed to the needy, but the greed of it all is what is disheartening I guess. A guy who is scheduled to make $23 million dollas for the next 4 years of his life is looking for something more "fair". Really?

If I'm making millions upon millions of dollars, but I think that there's even more money potentially on the table, you can bet your ass that I'm going to try to get it.

Latrell Spreewell demanding a new contract because the $14.6 million annual contract was not sufficient “I told you I needed to feed my family”

Well I guess I am the 1% according to Kegtapper. Money is not a panacea for all your problems. This guy cannot be bought off. Greed, gluttony, and hubris are ugly traits of many

Latrell Spreewell demanding a new contract because the $14.6 million annual contract was not sufficient "I told you I needed to feed my family"

Well I guess I am the 1% according to Kegtapper. Money is not a panacea for all your problems. This guy cannot be bought off. Greed, gluttony, and hubris are ugly traits of many

Sprewells reason was idiotic, no doubt. And money is not a panacea to all lifes problems but it sure as hell gets rid of one of the biggest. I've never heared a rich person say money can't buy happiness, but I've heard many lower class people say it.

Is it fair if you are the product that generates 600 million in revenue but your employer only pays you 1% of that? The person writing the check seems like the greedy one to me. Not saying the guy can't live off his current income, but I don't fault him for maximizing it.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7168507/new-york-yankees-pick-options-robinson-cano-nick-swisher

We are in the midst of the most challenging economic situation in likely a century. People are struggling to find jobs, pay bills, put food on the table, and put gas in their vehicles for getting where they need to go. Then you have this. A guy who's salary will average $23,000,000 over the next 4 years of his life, but he and his agent want a new deal (I'm sure it's not for less money) or he will walk somewhere else that he/they can get what he/they want. Just say he brings home half of that after taxes. That would be $11,500,000. That is enough money to cover almost 350 housholds for a year, @ an average of $33,000. That would not be living it up by any means, but it is what could be done with that much money. But no, the two sides are working on a new deal that will be "fair" for both sides. <_<

I am always looking for a better deal as well, my gut says that you have as well...let me ask how many jobs you have had in your lifetime? Why move from one to the next? Maybe working conditions, maybe boss, maybe more money??Point is you had options and exerised them...same as CC is doing.

And yes the money is obscene..but don't forget there are planty of people in this world who think if you make $50,000 a year, that is obscene...all a matter of perspective