Halloween marks 25 years since the Cornelius Bennett Trade

Mr_Blizzard

The acquisition of Bennett INSTANTLY changed the tide of the AFC East. Winning your division is job number one. Period. Forget getting to Super Bowls or what other players we may have gotten in future drafts. Bennett was a once in a generation player who DID live up to the high price and expectations. I can't believe anyone would question the value of the trade even in retrospect. Short memories I guess.

GO BILLS!!!

Halloween Day 1987 - the Rams, Colts and Bills are involved in one of the biggest trades in NFL history. The complex trade sent Eric Dickerson to the Colts, Greg Bell to the Rams, and Cornelius Bennett to the Bills.

What Buffalo gave up: Greg Bell, RB (a former Bills 1st round pick). 1st round Pick (14th overall) – 1988. 1st round Pick (26th overall) – 1989. 2nd round Pick (53rd overall)– 1989.

In hindsight - Was this trade worth what it cost Buffalo? Bennett Recorded 52.5 QB sacks, 6 INT, and 22 Forced Fumbles. He spent 9 seasons in Buffalo, and was selected to 5 Pro Bowls.

I say YES. Thoughts??

C. Bennett Career Stats

If I am understanding this correctly, we gave a former 1st round RB, 2 additional first round picks and a 2nd round pick for a LB? I love Bennett, but only an elite QB should fetch that kind of bounty, not a LB. Maybe an Elite young LT or one of the top 2 or 3 DL guys in the NFL...not a LB. Yes, he played great for us, but if a trade like that happened today people would be in an uproar.

Would anyone on here give that kind of bounty up for say P. Willis or some other top young LB? I think not, especially when we can grab guys like N. Barnett in FA and keep all those draft picks.

Yes, I was at the first game Bennett played, it was home November 8, 1987 versus Denver Broncos. Bennett was only being used on obvious passing downs and was playing Left OLB. One play they switched Bennett to the right side next to Bruce Smith, John Elway saw this and immediately called time out.

They went to 4 straight Super Bowls, and immediately became contenders after this trade. It was a great trade! They also saved money to pay the guys they already had instead of rookies. I can't see how anyone could retrospectively argue against that trade.

If I am understanding this correctly, we gave a former 1st round RB, 2 additional first round picks and a 2nd round pick for a LB? I love Bennett, but only an elite QB should fetch that kind of bounty, not a LB. Maybe an Elite young LT or one of the top 2 or 3 DL guys in the NFL...not a LB. Yes, he played great for us, but if a trade like that happened today people would be in an uproar.

Would anyone on here give that kind of bounty up for say P. Willis or some other top young LB? I think not, especially when we can grab guys like N. Barnett in FA and keep all those draft picks.

This Bills team isn't in the anywhere near the same circumstances that team was. Patrick Willis wouldn't put this team over the top.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Halloween Day 1987 - the Rams, Colts and Bills are involved in one of the biggest trades in NFL history. The complex trade sent Eric Dickerson to the Colts, Greg Bell to the Rams, and Cornelius Bennett to the Bills.

What Buffalo gave up: Greg Bell, RB (a former Bills 1st round pick). 1st round Pick (14th overall) – 1988. 1st round Pick (26th overall) – 1989. 2nd round Pick (53rd overall)– 1989.

In hindsight - Was this trade worth what it cost Buffalo? Bennett Recorded 52.5 QB sacks, 6 INT, and 22 Forced Fumbles. He spent 9 seasons in Buffalo, and was selected to 5 Pro Bowls.

I say YES. Thoughts??

C. Bennett Career Stats

Was it worth it? :blink:

Um...YES!!!! In so many ways it's hard to fully explain...The Bills went out and said to the rest of the NFL that they were dead serious about being a Championship Team...It helped a LOT that they had a TON of talent already on the Roster...No question about it...But that Trade as much as any other Personnel move made The Bills legit Contenders...It was a magnificent move... B-)

Randall McDaniel

Danny Stubbs

Lorenzo White

Eric Allen

Dermonti Dawson

Chris Spielman

James Hasty

Bill Romanowski

and that's in the 88 draft alone.

Yeah, there was arguably similar talent or better.

:lol:

At the time, I was very excited when the trade was made, LOVED Bennett in college. I did think those were a lot of choice draft picks to give up, but hell yes, the trade was worth it! :thumbsup:

Yes, I was at the first game Bennett played, it was home November 8, 1987 versus Denver Broncos. Bennett was only being used on obvious passing downs and was playing Left OLB. One play they switched Bennett to the right side next to Bruce Smith, John Elway saw this and immediately called time out.

My brother and I were there too...The stadium absolutely erupted when Elway called time-out.

I think the coolest thing about that is that despite giving up two first rounders and a second rounder (as well as Bell), we really hit a home run with the picks we had. On '88 we picked thurman thomas with our second round pick (after we traded away the first rounder. I don't even recognize the guy the Rams picked with our #1. I think anyone would say we stole round 1 talent with that second round pick. In '89, we picked Don Beebe in the 3RD round! I don't know that he is 1st round quality, but he was a hell of a lot better than most of the 1st rounders we have drafted in the last decade. Plus, when he knocked the ball out of leon let's hand (I think that's who it was) in the Super Bowl after that fat ass started celebrating his turnover for a touchdown too early, he instantly became one of my favorite bills.

MAN, don't you wish we could get drafts like that again?!?!

Who knows, maybe we are restarting the run, after all, Barnett sure SOUNDS like Bennett, even if they don't play the same position.

The league has changed tremendously since '87. Free agency in those days required the team signing a "free agent" from another team to give up 2 first round picks, which essentially killed that option. Plan "B" was still a couple years away. Biscuit was a rare talent that only comes along once every several years - a true game-breaker. Would LOVE to have a guy with his talent on the 2011 Bills.

Was it worth it? :blink:

Um...YES!!!! In so many ways it's hard to fully explain...The Bills went out and said to the rest of the NFL that they were dead serious about being a Championship Team...It helped a LOT that they had a TON of talent already on the Roster...No question about it...But that Trade as much as any other Personnel move made The Bills legit Contenders...It was a magnificent move... B-)

I agree 100% Just got to thinking the other day about the start of the glory days, and ol' Cornelius was a key part of the Bills defense. When we had Conlan, Talley, Bentley and Bennett stacked up behind Bruce Smith and company, we had one of the best defensive front sevens in the league

I say YES. Thoughts??

C. Bennett Career Stats

:thumbsup: If you watched Biscuit and Derrick Thomas play together at Alabama you would make that trade in a heartbeat. I was so upset he was drafted #1 by the Colts, and then ecstatic when Polian made that trade.

So many Bills fans have stated they think it was a crap trade for the Bills, nobody is worth 2 #1's...right? But then look who the Bills drafted #1 in 1990 CB James E Williams who only played 4 years with the Bills. If I recall correctly he had a depth perception problem with his vision. So drafting at the end of the first round doesn't always guarantee a great player

:thumbsup: If you watched Biscuit and Derrick Thomas play together at Alabama you would make that trade in a heartbeat. I was so upset he was drafted #1 by the Colts, and then ecstatic when Polian made that trade.

So many Bills fans have stated they think it was a crap trade for the Bills, nobody is worth 2 #1's...right? But then look who the Bills drafted #1 in 1990 CB James E Williams who only played 4 years with the Bills. If I recall correctly he had a depth perception problem with his vision. So drafting at the end of the first round doesn't always guarantee a great player

I think he was worth it. It took a lot of balls to make that trade, but Polian and Co. did their homework on Biscuit, and they KNEW he was the real deal.

:worthy:

The league has changed tremendously since '87. Free agency in those days required the team signing a "free agent" from another team to give up 2 first round picks, which essentially killed that option. Plan "B" was still a couple years away. Biscuit was a rare talent that only comes along once every several years - a true game-breaker. Would LOVE to have a guy with his talent on the 2011 Bills.

I don't know if you were old enough to remember, Alpha.

To add to what Mr. Blizzard said, Bennett was selected 2nd overall whereas Willis was taken 11th overall. In addition, Willis is an inside linebacker… a position generally considered of lesser value than an outside linebacker.

In fact, Bennett was considered one of the best OLB prospects to come out since Lawrence Taylor… and many predicted he would be the next Lawrence Taylor. Without having played a down in the NFL, Bennett was considered a can't-miss, elite player.

When the trade was made, all I remember was the excitement and ecstatic rejoicing among Bills fans.

This post got me watching old Alabama Bennett clips, and remembering how exciting he was in college. He really was Lawrence Taylor-esque when he came out. I mean he was FAST, but hit HARD, with a great knack for big plays. And though his career didn't match LT, he had that kind of career projected. Those kind of guys just don't come along very often, and Patrick Willis was not that kind of prospect going into the draft. He was a #1 overall type pick, for 2 bottom of the 1st round picks, and one at the bottom of the 2nd.

The quintessential Biscuit play:

Edited by Matthews' Bag

In fact, Bennett was considered one of the best OLB prospects to come out since Lawrence Taylor… and many predicted he would be the next Lawrence Taylor. Without having played a down in the NFL, Bennett was considered a can't-miss, elite player.

When the trade was made, all I remember was the excitement and ecstatic rejoicing among Bills fans.

Yup! Taking my kids out Trick or Treating, virtually every house we visited, the trade was the major topic of discussion with the parents handing out candy. "Trick of Treat!" 'Yeah, whatever.. Did you hear about the Bills trade?!" Great, memorable Halloween!

To those who claim he didn't work hard enough, I say BUNK! When Conlan was lost for the season, Biscuit moved inside, took a tremendous pounding and delivered a Pro Bowl season. Biggest play that year was his Tri-fecta on MNF @ Miami -sack, forced fumble, returned for a TD on Marino. No other OLB during his career could chase a sweep play going to the other side of the field and tackle the RB FOR A LOSS!

Tremendous player and Wall-Worthy!