Way to Go Tom Donahoe!

stevestojan

In the 4th round of the 2003 draft, out of Northwestern State... Terrence McGee..

If anyone thinks TD doesn't know his job, and know it well, you're crazy...

Way to go McGee - PROBOWL! and well deserved...

174028[/snapback]

Let's not forget that the other 2 Pro Bowlers are TD free agent signees and the alternates have direct connections as well.

TD picked E.Moulds over M. Wiley when there was only enough money to sign one.

AS and Nate were TD draft choices.

We should fire him. :w00t:

he was a nice pick but you can't give Tom all the credit. Mcgee wasn't drafted for his Kick returning. Bobby April found the Special Teams diamond. The credit goes to Bobby April and Mcgee for putting in the time and making it work.

he was a nice pick but you can't give Tom all the credit.  Mcgee wasn't drafted for his Kick returning.  Bobby April found the Special Teams diamond.  The credit goes to Bobby April and Mcgee for putting in the time and making it work.

174036[/snapback]

Uh, that was certainly one of the reasons he was drafted. There's plenty of credit to go around, especially when one considers how much blame the man has shouldered over the past couple of seasons.

Let's not forget that the other 2 Pro Bowlers are TD free agent signees and the alternates have direct connections as well. 

TD picked E.Moulds over M. Wiley when there was only enough money to sign one.

AS and Nate were TD draft choices.

We should fire him.  :w00t:

174032[/snapback]

seriously, can you wear a giant: :P for Halloween next year?

:(

he was a nice pick but you can't give Tom all the credit.  Mcgee wasn't drafted for his Kick returning.  Bobby April found the Special Teams diamond.  The credit goes to Bobby April and Mcgee for putting in the time and making it work.

174036[/snapback]

Actually, McGee was drafted as a kick returner. Most of the rags at the time listed him as a kick returner.

I really believe that TD targeted the STs during last year's draft. McGee, Aiken, Crowell, and Haggin all had strong ST potential. Not surprisingly, they're all delivering this year under an excellent position coach.

In the 4th round of the 2003 draft, out of Northwestern State... Terrence McGee..

174028[/snapback]

Dude - don't you know that TD sucks?

1. He can't draft players that produce results or develop.

2. His free agents don't produce.

3. His UDFAs are worthless!

4. The current coaching staff sucks.

I can't understand why people keep sending him love!

:w00t:

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday

Don't overlook the ridiculously cheap contract TD signed Adams to. The guy is worth $5-7 mil/year, and we have him (I think) for somewhere closer to $2-3 mil/year.

Was Mcgee even thrown into the mix during Preseason last year as a kick returner?

I like TD i have never knocked the guy but I don't think he deserves as much credit for the personal decisions as people around here do.

TD is mostly a finance guy he isn't a coach. I seriously doubt that he would sign someone that his current coach didn't want. You have a bunch of starters on this years squad whose contracts are up so of course he is going to agressively try to resign them. They are starters after all. TD himself has stated several times that he doesn't make the personal decisions on who starts or not. I cannot imagine a coach wanting to coach a team where he didn't have absolute say as to who starts and who is on the team. Otherwise you would see alot more coaches wanting to be General Managers.

There is a chain of command in football organizations

Owner --> GM --> HC --> players

AS soon as you start skipping a link in the chain of command all hell breaks lose and you end up with an organization like the Raiders where the Owner micromanages to much.

I like TD i like that he has fixed our salary cap so we can bring in players like Spikes, Sam Adams, Drew Bledsoe, etc... He can have all the credit he wants for making it work but if GW didn't want Spikes or Sam Adams I doubt they would be here right now.

Was Mcgee even thrown into the mix during Preseason last year as a kick returner?

I like TD i have never knocked the guy but I don't think he deserves as much credit for the personal decisions as people around here do. 

TD is mostly a finance guy he isn't a coach.  I seriously doubt that he would sign someone that his current coach didn't want.  You have a bunch of starters on this years squad whose contracts are up so of course he is going to agressively try to resign them.  They are starters after all.  TD himself has stated several times that he doesn't make the personal decisions on who starts or not.  I cannot imagine a coach wanting to coach a team where he didn't have absolute say as to who starts and who is on the team.  Otherwise you would see alot more coaches wanting to be General Managers. 

AS soon as you start skipping a link in the chain of command all hell breaks lose and you end up with an organization like the Raiders where the Owner micromanages to much.

I like TD i like that he has fixed our salary cap so we can bring in players like Spikes, Sam Adams, Drew Bledsoe, etc...  He can have all the credit he wants for making it work but if GW didn't want Spikes or Sam Adams I doubt they would be here right now.

174126[/snapback]

Not really. Obviously they all work together and discuss this player and that player and what kind of team they want to put on the field. But the GM's job is a talent evaluator. He gets or gets rid of the players, deciding if they are worth the money of their contract. Again, clearly, the coach has a huge input but the decision is the GM's. The Bills were a classic case last year. After the last half of the 2002 season, and with Peerless Price hitting the FA market, TD made a decision that the Bills would try to become a more power running team in 2003. He came out and publicly stated it, and he was the man in charge. What did he do? He let PP go in FA and signed Bobby Shaw a possession receiver to replace him, then drafted Willis McGahee with the pick. He didnt resign pass catching TE Reismersma and traded for Mark Campbell. He cut pass catching fullback Larry Centers, whom his coach loved, and replaced him with Sam Gash. And then what happened?

His coaches fugged him royally, insisted on passing anyway and we imploded.

Actually, McGee was drafted as a kick returner.  Most of the rags at the time listed him as a kick returner.

I really believe that TD targeted the STs during last year's draft.  McGee, Aiken, Crowell, and Haggin all had strong ST potential.  Not surprisingly, they're all delivering this year under an excellent position coach.

174063[/snapback]

McGee was a PR in college, not a KR, which is a big difference. If I am not mistaken, he returned only a few KOs in college but had about a 20 yard PR average as a senior, which was great. He was always picked as a CB, however, with some added skills as a return man. The only knock on him was that he came from such a small school that scouts didn't know if he could cover an NFL WR. He was not, however, drafted as a kick returner, and admitted himself this year he didn't even think he could do it well, although as a rookie, he looked pretty good returning a few KOs. Although they gave Antonio Brown the job.

Edit: He returned a total of 12 KOs as a college player. Was a PR his whole college career and actually led the nation as a sophomore in PR with an amazing 24 yard average and ironically, three TDs.

http://www.nfl.com/partners/aol?http://www.../mcgee_terrence

174126[/snapback]

2003 Owner Ralph Wilson, 2004 Owner Ralph Wilson

2003 GM Tom Donahoe, 2004 GM Tom Donahoe

2003 Roster mostly intact in 2004

2003 HC Greggg Williams, 2004 HC Mike Mularkey. hmmm

Greggg Williams, you were the weakest link

goodbye!

174028[/snapback]

McGee looks to be a good pick, but TD has sure had some bad ones too like Reed, Denney[we traded up for this guy??], Wire, Bannon, etc.

McGee looks to be a good pick, but TD has sure had some bad ones too like Reed, Denney[we traded up for this guy??], Wire, Bannon, etc.

174250[/snapback]

You know, posts like these are unbelievable. Of course, we have had bad draft picks, EVERYONE has bad draft picks. These arent even particularly good examples. These are post first round picks that are contributing. Coy Wire is an excellent special team play, Ryan Denney has turned into a servicable 3rd D end.

The only one better than these is when fans go back and find every better player selected after your teams pick and declare that the GM is an idiot for not drafting the player.

Be real folks.

McGee was a PR in college, not a KR, which is a big difference. If I am not mistaken, he returned only a few KOs in college but had about a 20 yard PR average as a senior, which was great. He was always picked as a CB, however, with some added skills as a return man. The only knock on him was that he came from such a small school that scouts didn't know if he could cover an NFL WR. He was not, however, drafted as a kick returner, and admitted himself this year he didn't even think he could do it well, although as a rookie, he looked pretty good returning a few KOs. Although they gave Antonio Brown the job.

Edit: He returned a total of 12 KOs as a college player. Was a PR his whole college career and actually led the nation as a sophomore in PR with an amazing 24 yard average and ironically, three TDs.

http://www.nfl.com/partners/aol?http://www.../mcgee_terrence

174217[/snapback]

No one probably remembers this, but shortly after the 2003 draft, I posted the details of a conversation I had with Terrence's college coach from his first two seasons at Northwestern St. Granted, he retired from coaching (and became an athletic director at another school) and so he didn't get to coach him during his prime collegiate years. But he did recruit him and still followed the Northwestern team closely through his friendships with the Northwestern staff. He told me that he thought he could develop into a decent NFL corner, but he said where he would really help the Bills would be as a kick returner.

After that kickoff return to start the Miami game, I got a call from Terrence's first college coach, telling me "I told you."

No one probably remembers this, but shortly after the 2003 draft, I posted the details of a conversation I had with Terrence's college coach from his first two seasons at Northwestern St. Granted, he retired from coaching (and became an athletic director at another school) and so he didn't get to coach him during his prime collegiate years. But he did recruit him and still followed the Northwestern team closely through his friendships with the Northwestern staff. He told me that he thought he could develop into a decent NFL corner, but he said where he would really help the Bills would be as a kick returner.

After that kickoff return to start the Miami game, I got a call from Terrence's first college coach, telling me "I told you."

174292[/snapback]

I remember that - I just didn't remember who it was. Thanks.

I remember that - I just didn't remember who it was.  Thanks.

174296[/snapback]

On another note, I talked to a high-ranking athletic department authority at Tulane (not a football coach) earlier this year. I asked about JP and all he would give me is, "He's got a chance. He's a bit of a different kid...a typical California kid. He's a pretty good kid. He's got a chance." He's got a chance was repeated at least twice more. It was very hard to read him.

Then he went on and on about what a great kid Mwelde (sp.?) Moore is. Moore had a nice game or two for the Vikings earlier this year, filling in for the injured or suspended Minnesota RBs.