Say What You Want About Our Weaknesses

Look, I'll be the first to look at the Bills and point out all of the positions that keep us from being a perfect football team. But the fact is, we won. Good teams win no matter what their weaknesses, and I'm convinced that this is a good team. Furthermore, many of you said we couldn't beat the Eagles because of our defense. Well, we let up over 400 yards but we harassed Vick into mistakes- that's what our defense does- I'm starting to think our offense is worse than our overly opportunistic defense...

But either way, many people said we'd lose. We didn't. Many people said Gailey won't run the ball. lol. Many said our pass rush can't contain Vick. We did.

The point is that while we are constantly worried about what the team can't do, we tend to forget that no team is perfect and we certainly aren't going to be, but it doesn't matter when you win. It's just been too long since we've had a real, live good football team so we can't take anything for granted. Enjoy it for now :)

Agreed. Considering many people were picking US to be the 1-4 team right now, I say stick to our strengths. We aren't perfect. We aren't anywhere NEAR perfect. I don't think that we're even close to best team in the league. But at the end of the day, after all excuses are heard, after every detraction is voiced we still have one of the best records right now. GO BILLS

Best team in the league? No. Packers :) But, top 10? Yeah, I'll take that. Not because we're an overly dominate team either, but because we find ways to win somewhere. The whole team works together. However, I'd like to see this vaunted offense do even more damage. We slaughtered the Eagles but seemed to let up. We just didn't execute in the second half. Like I said though, the point is, we won, and if we keep winning we'll only find different ways to KEEP winning :)

It's a new league strategically. People are still judging teams by old maxims. The way teams are scoring now strategy has to change. Big leads are no longer safe. Killing the clock for a half with a 21 point lead can backfire these days. Things have changed, and some of the age-old maxims will need to be altered.

The Bills defense is opportunistic, I am not worried about the yards they give up. Today I was actually more worried about the way the offense played. I think they were trying to keep pressure off of Hairston a bit. They were pretty predictable.

They are not winning by being "lucky", they are the real deal, and they are gonna win 10 games this year (they still might not make the playoffs though).

It's a new league strategically. People are still judging teams by old maxims. The way teams are scoring now strategy has to change. Big leads are no longer safe. Killing the clock for a half with a 21 point lead can backfire these days. Things have changed, and some of the age-old maxims will need to be altered.

The Bills defense is opportunistic, I am not worried about the yards they give up. Today I was actually more worried about the way the offense played. I think they were trying to keep pressure off of Hairston a bit. They were pretty predictable.

They are not winning by being "lucky", they are the real deal, and they are gonna win 10 games this year (they still might not make the playoffs though).

This may be true.

Great Bills win! Defensively, we continue to give up over 450 plus yards - not good - defense got job done today but not because of George Edwards..., they got it done inspite of him!!!

They are still figuring out how to play with a lead in "the new NFL". Every team is, because scoring is way up and big leads can fall apart QUICK! Killing the clock for a half ain't gonna cut it any more. Teams can score too quickly. Blaming the defensive coordinator for the way that game unfolded is simple-minded. If anything it was the offense's fault.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Look, I'll be the first to look at the Bills and point out all of the positions that keep us from being a perfect football team. But the fact is, we won. Good teams win no matter what their weaknesses, and I'm convinced that this is a good team. Furthermore, many of you said we couldn't beat the Eagles because of our defense. Well, we let up over 400 yards but we harassed Vick into mistakes- that's what our defense does- I'm starting to think our offense is worse than our overly opportunistic defense...

But either way, many people said we'd lose. We didn't. Many people said Gailey won't run the ball. lol. Many said our pass rush can't contain Vick. We did.

The point is that while we are constantly worried about what the team can't do, we tend to forget that no team is perfect and we certainly aren't going to be, but it doesn't matter when you win. It's just been too long since we've had a real, live good football team so we can't take anything for granted. Enjoy it for now :)

I'm with you. 4-1 beats the heck out of 0-5 (our record at this point last season)

They are still figuring out how to play with a lead in "the new NFL". Every team is, because scoring is way up and big leads can fall apart QUICK! Killing the clock for a half ain't gonna cut it any more. Teams can score too quickly. Blaming the defensive coordinator for the way that game unfolded is simple-minded. If anything it was the offense's fault.

Sorry, but a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter should be enough..., Eagles had scored 0 points in fourth quarter last 3 games..., G.E. should have done a better job protecting that lead.

G

Sorry, but a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter should be enough..., Eagles had scored 0 points in fourth quarter last 3 games..., G.E. should have done a better job protecting that lead.

G

It's not. And every team in the league is having trouble figuring out how to deal with the quick scoring. I could easily turn it around and say that any offense should easily win a game when the defense cause 4 turnovers and scores a touchdown.

It's a different game and clock management and game strategies are in flux.

^

^

This. Well said.

I said to my brother during the game that this Bills' D is "opportunistic" and it's a good thing given the fact that they give up yards in bunches. Four INTs off of both Brady & Vick is not a fluke. This defense is a ballhawking unit and they're agressively attacking it. The Pats* D is getting shredded this year as are the Jets, Saints, and Stillers, among others. Not to mention the Packers pass D which is one of the worst in the league. This is the new NFL, folks. Get used to it. That said, if Edwards & Wanny can find a way to straighten out this D by year's end, this team could be lethal. If nothing else, they should be in every game and fun to watch despite their defensive shortcomings. GO BILLS!!!

It's not. And every team in the league is having trouble figuring out how to deal with the quick scoring. I could easily turn it around and say that any offense should easily win a game when the defense cause 4 turnovers and scores a touchdown.

It's a different game and clock management and game strategies are in flux.

I believe a team getting 5 turnovers should be able to win with comfort..., but thats just my opinion. I would just like to see us figure out a way of giving up less yardage on the defensive side of the ball, thats all!

I don't know if the problem is George Edwards or the talent he has to work with. I think as the year goes on, guys like Darius, Sheppard, the DB who got hurt, will improve. Even Battern and Moats if they keep playing will improve. Add a 1st round CB in the draft and 2nd round inside LB, next season the defense could start to look pretty good.

Great Bills win! Defensively, we continue to give up over 450 plus yards - not good - defense got job done today but not because of George Edwards..., they got it done inspite of him!!!

I believe a team getting 5 turnovers should be able to win with comfort..., but thats just my opinion. I would just like to see us figure out a way of giving up less yardage on the defensive side of the ball, thats all!

They should, but it's the offense that should have put the game out of reach in this case, either by controlling the ball, or scoring more. The reason the defense had so many turnovers is because Philly had to play risky football. That kind of offensive play leads to big plays, but can also lead to turnovers (if the DEFENSE IS GOOD*). It was the offense that was letting down the defense by not controlling the football.

*I think the Bills have a good defense to combat this style of play! They are opportunistic and there will be lots of opportunities in this new style NFL.

The last 4 games went down to the wire. We could have easily gone 4-0 over that stretch... or 0-4. We went 3-1. Is it skill? Character? Luck?

I'm enjoying the ride but still can't confidently pick the Bills to go to the playoffs. When Marv was here, you knew by the 5th game pretty much what kind of team we had. But this defense worries me. They make big plays but give up tons of yards. Without the turnovers, we'd be in world of hurt.

Can we keep getting takeaways like this the rest of the season??? Will the defense ever tighten up???

I'll tune in each week to find out.

Edited by hondo in seattle

BBF, uhhh... I don't know what game you were watching, but our pass rush couldn't contain Vick. Our entire defense couldn't contain Vick on several LONG runs. Rush 3 or Blitz seven, Vick gave us the same problems that "mobile" QBs usually do.

Again --- Welcome to the new NFL where defenses have been neutered, scoring is averaging in the 30s and 21-point leads are not safe. This is an offensive league now. You will get burned a lot, you will get scored on; accept it and try to move on and answer when you're on offense. If your D can get a few stops per game, they're doing awesome. I don't think the 415 yards passing is as much an indictment of this D as it is that the Rules Committee has tilted the field FAR TOO MUCH in favor of offenses.

Today, Chan really seemed to run a gameplan that saw the Iggles' secondary with ARC and Asomugha --- arguably two of the top 3 CBs --- and he decided to bypass attacking them and attacking their DL with Freddie and their LBs with short passes, screens and slant routes. This was not the same gameplan as the Chiefs and it will not be the same plan for the Jints. It was really custom tailored to avoid their strengths, try to grit out offense on the ground and hope that the D could come up with some turnovers/stops. Somehow, with some lucky tips and bounces, the game went our way.

As the quote goes, let us fans not inquire why or wither, but enjoy the ice cream while it's on our plate.

Sorry, but a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter should be enough...

And it was, no? :unsure:

And, BTW, try to remember where those 17 points came from - five take-aways by the Bills D not only denied the Eagles 5 scoring opportunities, but resulted in 17 Buffalo points - 10 by the offense, and 7 by the defense (Barnett's INT return).

So I'm not going to lay anything but praise on the D - and the entire Bills team - and enjoy yet another Bills win that many doubted we'd get...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator