What is Chad Kelly (Jim's nephew) hinting at?

Doc

Can you be any more specific about how you believe that rule works? It's not clear to me why more than just a present ownership interest in an NFL team would be required to participate in revenue sharing.

I really don't know much about it. I assume it's too dissuade smaller market teams from transferring ownership to keep the 32 principle owners stable and solidified, but I'm not sure. I will try to find out, it's curious to me as well.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Gillett has owned multiple sports franchises, he also owned Evernham Motorsports and Richard Petty Motorsports. He ran both racing teams into the ground and basically stopped paying the bills (equipment and salaries) this all went down last year. Also his former business partner Tom Hicks owned the Texas Rangers and bankrupted them, I know Tom Hicks isn't Mr. Gillett but it doesn't speak to well about the business partners he chooses. For what its worth, I do not have a good feeling about Mr. Gillett. I agree with other posters here and would be worried he would run the Bills into the ground and then sell them.

I doubt the NFL would approve Gillett as an owner based on his track record. Hopefully Kelly has a Plan B or Buffalo Baumer's Brother In Law can come thru. :thumbsup:

Kelly has first right of refusal on anything be offered and that is a fact.....my brother in law was interested in sweetening the pot (with another financial group) - which I will name after this is done and when I got the phone call to put the two parties together (if it was needed), it was stated that Jim will have first shot.....

I doubt the NFL would approve Gillett as an owner based on his track record. Hopefully Kelly has a Plan B or Buffalo Baumer's Brother In Law can come thru. :thumbsup:

My bro in law is not going to be a part of it. I was asked to put the two parties together and it turned out they did not need the extra investors. It is now understood that they have everyone they need (unless there are last second amendments..)

Seriously don't see how the NFL can approve Gillet, after all his sports failures and/or bankruptcies.

In 1967, Gillett called up Pete Rozell and asked if there were any teams for sale. For $1 mil he bought 22% of the Miami Dolphins. He sold his shares a year later, and bought, of all things, The Harlem Globetrotters for 3.7 mil. ;) So he has already owned a portion of an NFL team. I also heard rumors that he lent money to another NFL team, so he may not be in bad standing with the league. I'm not sticking up for him, or necessarily think he should be the guy, but he has ties.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20119511,00.html

And he's apparently fondly remembered in Vail where he owned the ski resorts there and Beaver Creek. He's had quite a diverse professional life in the sports world, probably a very interesting guy.

http://www.realvail.com/blog/208/Liverpool-fans-unlikely-to-look-back-fondly-on-Gillett-era-the-way-Vail-fans-do

My bro in law is not going to be a part of it. I was asked to put the two parties together and it turned out they did not need the extra investors. It is now understood that they have everyone they need (unless there are last second amendments..)

Baumer thanks for the update. Do you know if there is a contingency plan in place if case one of the investors is deemed unsuitable? After reading the Buffalo Rising article and hearing terms such junk bonds, over leveraged, and toxic assets to describe his business dealings, I doubt the NFL would allow him to be the principal owner. Any information would be appreciated.

Edited by BRAWNDO

In 1967, Gillett called up Pete Rozell and asked if there were any teams for sale. For $1 mil he bought 22% of the Miami Dolphins. He sold his shares a year later, and bought, of all things, The Harlem Globetrotters for 3.7 mil. ;) So he has already owned a portion of an NFL team. I also heard rumors that he lent money to another NFL team, so he may not be in bad standing with the league. I'm not sticking up for him, or necessarily think he should be the guy, but he has ties.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20119511,00.html

And he's apparently fondly remembered in Vail where he owned the ski resorts there and Beaver Creek. He's had quite a diverse professional life in the sports world, probably a very interesting guy.

http://www.realvail.com/blog/208/Liverpool-fans-unlikely-to-look-back-fondly-on-Gillett-era-the-way-Vail-fans-do

Holy crap - did you see this guy's record when he owned the Globetrotters! Get ur done, George!

Jeremy Jacobs, Delaware North, Boston Bruins owner and Western New York native.

I thought this even before GR mentioned it this morning. Additionally and what GR DIDN'T mention this morning is that Jacobs said (paraphrasing), "I'd love to be able to purchase an NFL team in my home Town."

It cannot be Jacobs as he is a CURRENT owner he would have to sell the bruins to buy the bills

Does anyone really think this guy sounds like a worthwhile potential owner? Sounds like a bad risk to me.

According to Tim Graham, Gillett no longer has the wealth to buy a majority ownership stake. At best he'd be part of a group.

If his only involvement were his dollars, as a minority shareholder, then that's the only way it would be acceptable, and even then he's undesirable.