Buffalo has become 1 dimensional team

San-O

A lot more fun to watch, however Gailey talks about being balanced, but doesn't do it. 146 pass attempts vs. 104 run attempts.

Great when the passing game is working, which it had until last week, however you are going to need to run the ball at some

point (see 4th quarter last game), and if you can't do it or won't do it, you won't win when it counts.

The pass game is not always going to work: great D line or 2ndary, QB or receivers just off, bad weather, take your pick.

Bills needed to run the ball in 4th quarter last week, IMO, and could not or would not do it.

P.S. Why did the Bills draft Spiller anyhow? 14 carries in 4 games? What's the point taking the guy 7th overall?

Flame away.

They drafted Spiller because Gailey realized that the NFL was turning into a passing league where quick passes and screens to a scat backs would be used far more frequently. They also drafted Spiller because Nix and Gailey did not know what they had in Fred Jackson. When Spiller had ball security issues and could not pick up a blitz while at the same time Jackson played great, Spiller saw his role in the offense diminish. When Spiller is no longer a liability, he will receive more time. He is still a great talent, and will be productive at some point.

I dont necessarily agree because it seemed the Bengals defense controlled most the second half last week. They pushed the Bills around so much they were forced to throw. We were busy coming back all the 2nd half of the Patriots game so you tend to be one-dimensional, especially when time is a factor. Gailey runs a spread offense anyway so you will see 4 or 5 wide alot with no backs.

I would like to see more 2 back sets. Including McIntyre sometimes as a 3rd. I dont think we do enough with the RBs we have.

Just listened to Chan's presser, and Gaughan asks him about balance, stating the league average is 41% runs, so "what is balance"? Based on your numbers, the Bills are right on the NFL average. What is balanced? Should the Bills run more?

A lot more fun to watch, however Gailey talks about being balanced, but doesn't do it. 146 pass attempts vs. 104 run attempts.

No flames here. I believe Buffalo needs to do some serious self-scouting. I think we are falling into patterns.

Whether they're Chan patterns or audible patterns, can't tell you.

P.S. Why did the Bills draft Spiller anyhow? 14 carries in 4 games? What's the point taking the guy 7th overall?

Good question. Did you catch where Chan responded to a question about why he didn't get more time by saying "you only have one ball" and "he's the odd man out right now" This was just after Chan saying they want to use Jackson more, including in the passing game.

Hmmmmm.

Edited by Hopeful

Great when the passing game is working, which it had until last week, however you are going to need to run the ball at some

point (see 4th quarter last game), and if you can't do it or won't do it, you won't win when it counts.

The pass game is not always going to work: great D line or 2ndary, QB or receivers just off, bad weather, take your pick.

Bills needed to run the ball in 4th quarter last week, IMO, and could not or would not do it.

Flame away.

Spiller hasn't been getting the carries because the D III guy is better than he is

I love how we led the league in almost all positive offensive stats and one bad game against a top three defense and now we are one dimensional. I'm starting to really hate our boards. The people here are worse than the National media. It's ONE GAME get over it. The philly game the Bills will run for 120 plus yards are we going to still be considered a one dimensional team? Oh yea if we lose that game we didn't throw the ball enough.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Fred Jackson is 4th in the NFL in running and has 4 TD's to boot! 92.3yds a game with a 5.8 yds per! We r 5th in the league in rushing. We have played 4 games and lost 1 of em. I am going to say our running game is pretty F*$king good ther homer!

I guess what i am saying i dont understand ur 1 dimensional team! :wallbash:

Having seen all of the Eagles games thus far if we are EVER going to run the football this is the week. This is a TERRIBLE matchup for the Eagles. They like to send their D-line straight upfield and we like to run draws that take advantage of that. Fred Jackson vs. their crap LBs. Jackson and Spiller need to be on the field together all day long. Iso the LBs in coverage and draw them to DEATH.

I love how people glom onto platitudes like they are carved on a stone tablet. What the f*** does being balanced mean? Does the NFL award points for "most balanced team?" Is play calling balance a playoff tiebreaker? This is something some talking head came up with to fill space. Last I checked the team that scores the most points wins. It doesn't matter if you do it with passes runs, turnovers, kick returns, safeties or drop kick field goals.

We pass and we run. Who cares if we do one more than the other?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Flame away.

The CJ draft was a bust. As a Bills fan, you should know that he does not find or hit the holes and is too small to run inside. It was a mistake drafting him at all. We have only 1 solid running back. Do you want Fred to carry 30 times per game. Besides, we are usually coming for down big and we have to throw the ball to get back into the game.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Fred Jackson is 4th in the NFL in running and has 4 TD's to boot! 92.3yds a game with a 5.8 yds per! We r 5th in the league in rushing. We have played 4 games and lost 1 of em. I am going to say our running game is pretty F*$king good ther homer!

I guess what i am saying i dont understand ur 1 dimensional team! :wallbash:

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

So, explain to me why the Bills didn't run the ball all day against Cinci with a lead? Or in the 4th quarter

when all they had to do was burn clock and kick a field goal?

How many carries did Freddy get in the 4th quarter last game?

If they can run that good and didn't, it's a coaching and play calling issue.

Run the ball this week against Philly and all is forgiven.

:thumbsup:

Having seen all of the Eagles games thus far if we are EVER going to run the football this is the week. This is a TERRIBLE matchup for the Eagles. They like to send their D-line straight upfield and we like to run draws that take advantage of that. Fred Jackson vs. their crap LBs. Jackson and Spiller need to be on the field together all day long. Iso the LBs in coverage and draw them to DEATH.

+ 1

...some spun the wheel of 'We can't go a day without bitching so..." and it landed on, "WE'RE NOT BALANCED!"

I was listening to an interview with Jimmy Johnson this morning, (yeah I hate the guy), and he made some good points,

one being re: the balance issue: at some point you are going to need or be required to run the ball to win.

When it's late in the season, and the weather is bad, or you're hanging on to a slim lead in the 4th qtr. for dear life,

you're going to need to bang the ball in there and get a couple 1st downs to seal the deal. IMO.

Sorry so-cal, but the above posters are right - the nfl is a passing dominant league now, buffalo is just following the trend (and is 3-1 and in 1st place in their division). Buffalo has had to come back from large deficits in the 2nd halves of 2 games. That means leaning on the passing game. Only 3 teams in the league run more than they pass by the way.

Despite all that, buffalo still has a healthy run game with fred jackson. So stop whining.

The CJ draft was a bust. As a Bills fan, you should know that he does not find or hit the holes and is too small to run inside. It was a mistake drafting him at all. We have only 1 solid running back. Do you want Fred to carry 30 times per game. Besides, we are usually coming for down big and we have to throw the ball to get back into the game.

How is Spiller a bust? It's the second year and he's a bust? I know you hurt because your favorite draft pick was released from the team this year (Maybin) but that doesn't mean that every other Bills first rounder is a bust.

Sorry so-cal, but the above posters are right - the nfl is a passing dominant league now, buffalo is just following the trend (and is 3-1 and in 1st place in their division). Buffalo has had to come back from large deficits in the 2nd halves of 2 games. That means leaning on the passing game. Only 3 teams in the league run more than they pass by the way.

Despite all that, buffalo still has a healthy run game with fred jackson. So stop whining.

OK. No more whining about the run game or balance.

P.S. Feed Freddy!