Aaron maybin

Glamslam

No, no he didn't figure anything out. He is still too small to play. For everyone who didn't see here is what happened: Maybin was lined up over the Left Tackle and when the ball was snapped he ran twelve yards downfield around d'brickashaw ferguson and Flacco held the ball too long. Maybin then was directly behind Flacco in the pocket and was able to attack the pocket from behind and he hit Flacco, weakly, causing a fumble. If a smal child had been in his way Maybin would have been stopped from coming from directly behind the pocket, as it was he had a clear shot to get to Flacco. Ed Reed offers a fun comparison, it looked like reed had twenty, maybe thirty pounds on Maybin. For all those who appreciate how worthless Maybin is; Sanchez, on the play after the fumble caused by Maybin, threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown. Maybin's big day actually contributed to the Jet's loss. Have faith Bills friends, we shall right the ship.

That is not entirely what happened. Maybin was taken out of the play by the left tackle. Essentially the tackle took him out to left field, far away from the play/quarterback. The tackle did his job...Maybin was neutralized. However, the tackle, perhaps thinking that Maybin was out of the play, released his block/discontinued any interference on him. To Maybin's credit, he continued the play and used his speed to get back in the play. The left tackle was in "lala" land, having released his interference on Maybin. The quarterback was forced out of the pocket and was moving/running to his right. Maybin caught up with him using his speed, and because the quarterback, who wanted to throw the ball, was not running full speed. Once the left tackle released his block on Maybin, there was no interference on Maybin's approach to the quarterback. To Maybin's credit he didn't quit his pursuit of the play. However, had there been secondary interference or obstruction on Maybin, he likely would have not made the play.

The key determinant of Maybin's play was that he was taken out of the play by the left tackle and neutralized, but was left alone long enough thereafter to recoup and make a play where no interference was placed upon him. At best, the play shows no quit on Maybin's part. At worst, it shows that Maybin was easily handled by the left tackle. In conclusion, if I am the Ravens offensive line coach, you have to teach to continue your blocks until the whistle is blown!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that when a player is as ridiculously undersized as he is, you expect him to be fast. But still. I have to give Maybin credit for that speed. Part of me wonders what might have been, had Maybin been able to offer more than just that speed and the huge loops around the formation which you'd mentioned.

Maybin did the same thing he does on every pass play, namely what everyone else has already pointed out: ran wide and took himself out of the play... what was nice about the play was that he didn't quit on it and was able to take advantage of a breakdown in the pocket and Flacco scrambling trying to make something out of nothing.

Maybin was taken out of the play by the left tackle… out to left field, far away from the play/quarterback. The tackle did his job...Maybin was neutralized. To Maybin's credit, he continued the play and used his speed to get back in the play. To Maybin's credit he didn't quit his pursuit of the play.

Nice to see fair and objective accounts of the play, rather than character assassinations disguised as football opinions.

Nice to see fair and objective accounts of the play, rather than character assassinations disguised as football opinions.

I agree but let's be honest - it amounts to not just sitting down once he lost his battle, and then outrunning Joe flacco....

There's a degree of "Ive never been to jail and I pay my child support" to that argument of success. Do we congratulate him for not tripping over his own feet too?

I agree but let's be honest - it amounts to not just sitting down once he lost his battle, and then outrunning Joe flacco....

There's a degree of "Ive never been to jail and I pay my child support" to that argument of success. Do we congratulate him for not tripping over his own feet too?

Unstated in this overall-reasonable analysis is the fact that Flacco held onto the ball way too long looking for a way to make a play. No pass protection can last forever.

Either throw it away or tuck it in and run, Joe.

I think that amounts to saying, if a QB holds onto the ball long enough, even Maybin can make plays on him.

Can we use a one-handed clap? :devil:

Let me get this straight: the Jets are depending on Maybin as a difference-maker in their game against New England?:w00t:

I hope he lights up Brady for 2 & 1/2 sacks, forced fumble and a deflection picked off by cromartie returned for a TD.

How about you ?

To be honest, when the Jets play the Pats, I can't decide which team I hate worst.

I suppose I want to see Tom Brady lying on the turf, giving that little moan Bruce Smith described so well.

On the other hand, if Maybin succeeds for the Jets, I'll feel :sick:

Not because I have anything against him personally, but because of the lost investment he represents for our team.

I think it's fairly unlikely though

Edited by Hopeful

Unstated in this overall-reasonable analysis is the fact that Flacco held onto the ball way too long looking for a way to make a play. No pass protection can last forever.

Either throw it away or tuck it in and run, Joe.

I think that amounts to saying, if a QB holds onto the ball long enough, even Maybin can make plays on him.

And I agree with both of you… so the next logical question is:

"Do you think our leading outside pass rusher from last year, Chris Kelsay, would have made this play?

(I know… he usually lines up on the defensive left side but just for the sake of discussion).

What I would love to see is Maybin get a wide open shot at Brady and simply bounce off of him. As far as we know Brady might weigh more than Maybin.

Jets have him listed at 6'4" 240. He's undersized for the DE position he was drafted (the hope was he'd get to 255) but HE'S NOT undersized for OLB, the position he's currently playing.