The Pessimism Thread

Virgil

I'm going to go ahead and draw the line in the sand and let people declare if they are on board or off with the Bills making the playoffs.

For me, I'm off board and here is why.

We just gave up over 400 yards to a team who scored 8 points last week. Oh yeah, Andy Dalton is their QB. Are you serious?

Yes, we are better than last year. No, we will not make the playoffs. We could very easily be 1-3 right now. Look at the silver lining all you want, but it took the Bills to do something that no other team has done in NFL history to get wins 2 and 3. And yes, I'll take that Pats win as my highlight of the season, but those two wins will not happen 9/10 times.

Plain and simple, the Bengals figured us out. I saw it from the very first drive where they showed Fitz one coverage, and then changed it right at the last second by moving the safeties around. We never got it going and I give it up to the Bengals for having a great scheme. But still, they were 1-2 and scored 8 points last week for a reason. They are not a good team. We did all the same things that we did for the first few weeks with run formations and spreads, and they were all over us. You think that was a fluke? No, we got manhandled and the Offense couldn't cover up for the D again this year.

Seriously, this was a Bengals offense where we didn't have to overplay the run or pass. They don't have any specific threat to be afraid of. And if you say AJ Green, I'll puke on you. He's a rookie WR and if we can't handle him, then we have bigger problems than I thought. Yet, in the end, we made them look like ProBowlers. In the end, they were running all over us, breaking tackles, making easy catches. It was pathetic.

So yeah, I'm going to draw my line in the sand and say we won't make the playoffs and will not finish over .500.

Kansas City Chiefs (won and should have)

OAKLAND RAIDERS (play it again 10 more times and we lose 9 of them)

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (Good luck getting that homefield advantage and 4ints again)

Cincinnati Bengals (Beat by a weaker team, exposed our D for who we are and gave the NFL the blueprint to beating our Offense)

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (Loss - Unless the Eagles give it away again)

New York Giants (Loss - Again, Eli would have to give it to us)

WASHINGTON REDSKINS (Win - We will win of of these previous 3, so I'll pick this one)

NEW YORK JETS - (Win - Cause we split with them usually)

Dallas Cowboys - (Loss - Because we always do, but the Cowboys do seem to lose like we did last year, so maybe)

Miami Dolphins - (Win, we are bad, they are worse)

New York Jets - (Loss, their turn to win)

TENNESSEE TITANS - (Loss, won't beat a 300+ yard QB)

San Diego Chargers - (Loss, Rivers crushes our D)

MIAMI DOLPHINS (Win, See Before)

DENVER BRONCOS (Win, Broncos are just as bad as the Dolphins, too little too late game)

New England Patriots (Loss, Pats will need this game)

Final Record 8-8 with another draft geared towards Defense with no reason to believe it will make a difference with our defensive coaching.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predicted this team to go 8-8 at the beginning off the season, and I figured at this point in the season we would be 3-1- just didn't think the win would be vs the pats and the loss vs the Bengals. I was already on the bandwagon, have been since 88 and aint gettin off now...GO Bills!!!

Call me bandwagon all you want, but I've lived and died by this team for longer than I can remember. If I'm pessimistic, it's because the Bills made me this way.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I will be.

I will absolutely bump this thread from week to week and eat crow if I'm wrong.

Call me bandwagon all you want, but I've lived and died by this team for longer than I can remember. If I'm pessimistic, it's because the Bills made me this way.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I will be.

I will absolutely bump this thread from week to week and eat crow if I'm wrong.

i've been getting the same **** for calling it like i see it. i hope i'm wrong too, but this team is not playoff caliber. you CANNOT waste clutch wins against the raiders and !@#$ing patriots with a choke job against the lowly bengals like that. in order to make the playoffs, you need X amount of wins, probably 10, and for !@#$'s sake you cannot waste games against a bad team with a rookie QB up 2 TDs in the 2nd half. it's a joke, and it will come back to bite us hard.

Yeah, the Bills let a W they should have had get away, but really, who thought we'd be the Pat's? This loss may actually be the "reality check" the team needs to realize they can't just show up to win. As for the Eagle's, they're going to be absolutely about as desperate as a team can get and would expect them to come out guns a blazing. I don't care how bad their defense is - if the Bills win it will be a well earned win....

we are 3-1, first place, but, but.....we lost a close away game and won't go undefeated. waaaah!! I want my pacifier! B word and moan...B word and moan you !@#$ing babies

this doesn't even deserve a goddamn response but i guess i'm a sucker. you think i'm looking for a 16 win season, or even 12 wins and a !@#$ing playoff bye? i expect to win the winnable games, and when you're in the driver seat against a crappy, rookie QB, a good team gets the job done. you don't follow up the biggest win in 5 years with a 4th quarter collapse. even the biggest of homers can admit we had some prettttty nice things go our way vs. oakland and the pats - and while the standings say we're "3-1 and in first place", it feels brutally temporary.

I will be very surprised if this teams makes the playoffs. I think we have a .500 team at best (still better than last year, at least). We need pass rushers, we need run stoppers and we need defensive backs. We possibly need a QB, and we need more depth at OL, TE, WR and RB. We have a long ways to go.

I will be very surprised if this teams makes the playoffs. I think we have a .500 team at best (still better than last year, at least). We need pass rushers, we need run stoppers and we need defensive backs. We possibly need a QB, and we need more depth at OL, TE, WR and RB. We have a long ways to go.

And this all just occurred to you now?

And this all just occurred to you now?

It's what I thought at the beginning of the season, and after the first two games. After the NE game, I thought we might have been something more.

I was stupid in getting my hopes up. Oh well.

this doesn't even deserve a goddamn response but i guess i'm a sucker. you think i'm looking for a 16 win season, or even 12 wins and a !@#$ing playoff bye? i expect to win the winnable games, and when you're in the driver seat against a crappy, rookie QB, a good team gets the job done. you don't follow up the biggest win in 5 years with a 4th quarter collapse. even the biggest of homers can admit we had some prettttty nice things go our way vs. oakland and the pats - and while the standings say we're "3-1 and in first place", it feels brutally temporary.

You don't win every game you are "supposed to." It's a long season, they might end up 3-13, but losing today merely gives them an opportunity to show their resilience-- or not. Playoff teams dust themselves off after games like this(and they all have them) and come back. Bad teams fold. We'll find out soon enough--there's lots of games left.

Dorkington you weren't stupid. It's just one game after all. Even the SB contenders have a let down now and then.

Now everyone effin grow a spine and see the team growing in front of you! They are growing damn faster than my measely mind expected!

It's what I thought at the beginning of the season, and after the first two games. After the NE game, I thought we might have been something more.

I was stupid in getting my hopes up. Oh well.

Don't get your hopes too high then. Happiness is merely the gap between expectation and reality after all.

You don't win every game you are "supposed to." It's a long season, they might end up 3-13, but losing today merely gives them an opportunity to show their resilience-- or not. Playoff teams dust themselves off after games like this(and they all have them) and come back. Bad teams fold. We'll find out soon enough--there's lots of games left.

i understand the "supposed to win" games aren't always sure things. i wasn't expecting a bills win like many on this board were. however, at half you got to think with a 2 TD lead and a rookie QB who has looked AWFUL, we had the game. and we lost. just like the pats game was more than your everyday win, this was more than a typical loss. we !@#$ing blew it today. a chance to keep the momentum going, and a chance to put some more distance between us and the AFC. really frustrating.

Dorkington you weren't stupid. It's just one game after all. Even the SB contenders have a let down now and then.

Now everyone effin grow a spine and see the team growing in front of you! They are growing damn faster than my measely mind expected!

See, that's why you are happy. The Bills are exceeding your expectations. People expect perfection after a 4-12 start, and are dissapointed with one loss.

i understand the "supposed to win" games aren't always sure things. i wasn't expecting a bills win like many on this board were. however, at half you got to think with a 2 TD lead and a rookie QB who has looked AWFUL, we had the game. and we lost. just like the pats game was more than your everyday win, this was more than a typical loss. we !@#$ing blew it today. a chance to keep the momentum going, and a chance to put some more distance between us and the AFC. really frustrating.

True that. But is blowing a 14 point lead any more significant than overcoming 18 and 21 point deficits? Team could be anywhere from 1-3 to 4-0. 3-1 is not bad. See what they do next two weeks. If they go to 3-3, then despair. 5-1 or 4-2, I'll take that. Have to keep the big picture in mind.

The thing that this game definitely showed was how bad our defense really is. The only time we've been able to stop anybody in the last 3 games is turnovers.

Also I was genuinely surprised that Chan and Fitz didn't manage to turn things around on offense. Hopefully they return to form next week, or we won't have much a chance then, either.

Edited by SoFFacet