Before I can go any further, I must first chew on some crow.

I've learned a very valuable lesson, and I hope that I can keep learning it.

Ever since I could really understand football, I was a Bills fan, but I wasn't originally from Buffalo, though I did move there in my earlier years. My Mom worked at the old training camp facility (SUNY New York) back in the late '80s, when the Bills were then an up and coming team. I started watching football, and then the Bills got REALLY good a couple years later, and I was hooked.

I lived and died through the four Super Bowl losses, the Music City Miracle, and countless other dreadful moments with the Bills. (Why, oh WHY did Bruce Smith decide not to take a flu shot during that 1995 campaign when I thought we had a really good chance, with that defense especially, to go back to the Super Bowl. But, instead, Bruce Smith gets the flu, and the Steelers just run the ball to his empty spot. The victory against Miami the week before was the last time the Bills have won a playoff game.)

However, I moved to Florida in 2006, (and had been living elsewhere through military commitments and such beforehand) and the Bills were smack dab in the middle of starting to become REALLY awful. The Bucs and Dolphins were near here, and I started watching them, along with the Bills. During the "great collapse" of 2008, I turned my back on the team for good. I figured that Ralph was going to move the team, anyway, or someone would once he died. I didn't see the Bills doing anything more as an organization ever again, until such move was complete. So, I started pulling for my Florida teams, though I still do love the Gators. I had taken notice week one when the Bills destroyed the Chiefs, and then again when they came back against the Raiders.

Last weeks game, though, was the stuff of ages. It was as if the football gods, for one day at least, decided to right an awful lot of wrongs that the Bills have been suffering. And, it taught me a lesson. This is the NFL. Tough it out. Stay with your team because the only thing that you can count on is change. Bad teams can get better really quick in this modern age of football.

The Bills might go anywhere from 16-0 to 3-13 this year, but either way, I've learned my lesson. I'm back...I'm home, and I'll never leave again. If the team moves out of Buffalo one day, we'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.

I hope to be welcomed back by the fanbase here, and I'll stay a regular on the forums, and I deserve some ribbing for leaving in the first place..and I'm prepared to take it!

GO BILLS!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back Bro' I have been a Bills fan since my Dad took me to the Rockpile back in the 60's. Never stopped Billieving, as hard as it has been sometimes. Last week was sweet redemption for all of our suffering, and I will enjoy every moment of this season...whatever the outcome. (I am in Orlando too!) :thumbsup:

Welcome back Bro' I have been a Bills fan since my Dad took me to the Rockpile back in the 60's. Never stopped Billieving, as hard as it has been sometimes. Last week was sweet redemption for all of our suffering, and I will enjoy every moment of this season...whatever the outcome. (I am in Orlando too!) :thumbsup:

Cool! Where do you go to watch the games?

Welcome back.

My journey is the opposite. I lived in WNY as a youngster before I really knew what Football was and before the Kelly era. Moved to Detroit and in MI it is ALL about college ball. I was casual fan (of the Lions more than the Bills which were dominating), also had lived in Maryland and had just really started to get back into Football when the Ravens won the SB.

By that time I was back living in WNY and watching football.

I became a Bills fan during the Rob Johnson Era.

I remember listening to the radio when games were blacked out.

I moved out of the area and HAD to get the ticket to watch the Bills plan. I suffered through the Jauron era, the 2008 collapse and watched everyone of last years losses. I am still in complete shock.

It doesn't matter how you came back, just that you did :-)

hey, I'm a Bills fan living in Florida, too. shame on you for turning your back and then coming back when they start winning. welcome back... for however long you decide to support the Bills (ostensibly until they start sucking again)

Last weeks game, though, was the stuff of ages. It was as if the football gods, for one day at least, decided to right an awful lot of wrongs that the Bills have been suffering. And, it taught me a lesson. This is the NFL. Tough it out. Stay with your team because the only thing that you can count on is change. Bad teams can get better really quick in this modern age of football.

Yeah

You, sir, are what I like to call a Bandwagoner.

Normally, I would think that a Bandwagoner might be an accurate depiction of me.

However, I didn't jump ship after the Super Bowls. I didn't after the Flutie/Johnson debacle. I didn't after the Music City Miracle. I didn't after several years of no playoff runs, the 3-13 season, the choke job against Pittsburgh's backups. What REALLY made me do it was the collapse of 2008 COMBINED with the fact that I ASSUMED that since they were playing home games in Toronto, that it was just a matter of time before the Bills were packing up and moving out of town.

Still doesn't make it right, but I hope that at least makes it UNDERSTANDABLE.

Born, and will die a Bills fan. Oh, and also a Hamilton Tigercats fan in the CFL. There's something I really like about Canadian football.. :)

I wish more NFL scouts would look to the CFL, there are some really bad ass players up there that would do well in the NFL, IMO.

Tim-

Normally, I would think that a Bandwagoner might be an accurate depiction of me.

However, I didn't jump ship after the Super Bowls. I didn't after the Flutie/Johnson debacle. I didn't after the Music City Miracle. I didn't after several years of no playoff runs, the 3-13 season, the choke job against Pittsburgh's backups. What REALLY made me do it was the collapse of 2008 COMBINED with the fact that I ASSUMED that since they were playing home games in Toronto, that it was just a matter of time before the Bills were packing up and moving out of town.

I'm certainly not saying that you are not welcome back. But I haven't lived in Buffalo since 98. I've lived in Pittsburgh, North Carolina, Ohio, and now Indiana and I have never once considered rooting for the Steelers (lived there for one SB win), the Panthers (lived there during their SB run), the Colts (lived here for a SB win and loss), the Bears, the Browns or Bengals over the Bills no matter what.

So, while it is understandable, forgivable and you are welcomed back with open arms; it's still a bandwagon move.

Edited by Mark80

Not to condem you at all, or call in to question your "fandom", I understand what you are saying. But, for me, I have never understood how anyone can make a conscious decision to switch allegences to a team. I understand that it happens, just not sure how it happens.

For me, the closest thing: growing up, I LOVED the Buffalo Braves, and HATED the Boston Celtics....when the Braves left town, I was stuck...I still loved basketball, but had no team. It was the early days of cable, the "superstation" we got with our cable in WNY was a Boston station, they showed every Celtics game. So, my choice was to abandoned the sport all-together, or to watch the only games I could watch, the Celtics. The fact that it was the begining of the Larry Bird era didn't hurt, but I just started loving the Celtics. Still do to this day. If we had only been able to watch Clevland Cavs games, I likely would be a Cavs fan today...it was all just circumstance.

When it comes to the NFL though, I think if the Bills ever did leave Buffalo, I would likely still watch the NFL, but I can't imagine rooting for another NFL team.

Born, and will die a Bills fan. Oh, and also a Hamilton Tigercats fan in the CFL. There's something I really like about Canadian football.. :)

I wish more NFL scouts would look to the CFL, there are some really bad ass players up there that would do well in the NFL, IMO.

Tim-

Cameron Wake comes to mind right off the top of my head. I won't mention another name, but it rhymes with Spootie.

I'm certainly not saying that you are not welcome back. But I haven't lived in Buffalo since 98. I've lived in Pittsburgh, North Carolina, Ohio, and now Indiana and I have never once considered rooting for the Steelers (lived there for one SB win), the Panthers (lived there during their SB run), the Colts (lived here for a SB win and loss), the Bears, the Browns or Bengals over the Bills no matter what.

So, while it is understandable, forgivable and you are welcomed back with open arms; it's still a bandwagon move.

Can't argue your point.

I'll accept it. Just know that I am staying on the wagon until such time that the wagon never rides in Buffalo, anymore. (Unless, of course, they become the Orlando Bills one day!)

Not to condem you at all, or call in to question your "fandom", I understand what you are saying. But, for me, I have never understood how anyone can make a conscious decision to switch allegences to a team. I understand that it happens, just not sure how it happens..

This.

Ir's the emotional connection Bills fans have with their team that separates us from the casual fans of other franchises. I'm sure there are fans like this in every city, but without a doubt Buffalo has the highest proportion of fans emotionally connected to their team. I have lived in NYC and now NE and it seems there are bandwagoners galore. It's because they pick and chose whichever one of their teams is doing well this season. Pathetic.

Especially here in NE. When the Pats* sucked, they were a week away from becoming the Hartford Patriots because fan support was so low. Now everyone has been a fan of the Pats* forever. When they start to slide, and it's happening, Foxboro won't sell out. Bandwagoners. No emotional connection. I still get pissed about bad calls and stuff made 15 years ago (like that Hail Mary pass interference). Fans of other teams just don't understand and can't.

RTB