Let's be honest

BillsNYC

They look at the rewards of crowding the line of scrimmage and see that the reward is basically taking McGahee and the run away from the Bills offense. Then they look at the consequences for taking that approach... and they can't find any.  Am I missing something?

171635[/snapback]

Yup, you are...because Drew took them to town with a 69 yard pass to Lee Evans. And McGahee is a second half back, he pokes and prods in the first half to find the weaknesses, then exploits them. If McGahee wouldn't have left the game, can you honestly say he wouldn't have taken that defense to the bank in the seconf half? Especially with the Bengals on the ropes? Only reason the Bengals were in the game was because McGahee was out and they knew we couldn't run on them, which is why your argument holds some subtance, but in the end it holds none.

Ok Mr. F&B...I will agree that you can't exclude that fact.  However... I think the point that Sully and Maiorama over at the D&C today were making is that defenses are choking the Bills offense at the LOS. When that happens, an offense can not allow the defense to do that with impunity.  Wouldn't you agree with that?

Well, an NFL defense is kinda sorta like the real world... given the choice, we'll take the easy way out, and/or cheat, cut corners, etc. most of the time.  We'll look at the rewards of it and we'll look at the consequences.  Well, NFL defenses do this against the Bills.  They look at the rewards of crowding the line of scrimmage and see that the reward is basically taking McGahee and the run away from the Bills offense. Then they look at the consequences for taking that approach... and they can't find any.  Am I missing something? They crowd the LOS and say "you're not going to run" and "we're" daring your sorry asses to beat us with the pass".  So, there's not too many teams in the NFL that fear the Bills passing attack must be, otherwise, why would they invite it? Would you agree? 

You know it and I know it that I made mention on TSW yesterday of the very same things Sully and Maiorama observed and put in print today.  I guess all 3 of us are stupid beyond belief.  Well... if that so, then every defensive coordiator in the NFL is stupid along with me.... and  I can live with that.  So, you tell me... what seems to be the problem with the Bills offense?  How is this offense a whole lot different than what we've seen from Todd Collins or Rob Johnson?

Bills get lucky this weekend... even though they're playing without their top to RBs, the good news is they're playing the 49ers.  So, tell me, who is going to take this offense on their shoulders and "pony up" without McGahee this week?  I can

tell you who won't!!!  And 31 DCs know it too!

171635[/snapback]

I had a huge problem with the Bills offense early in the season. The QB and the line and the receivers and the running backs and the play-calling and the coaching was not only not in sync, they weren't doing their jobs. ALL of them. They were poor. And we saw the results.

I had a huge problem in the last NE game with the offense because the QB and the OL and the RBs and the WRs and the play-calling and the coaching was terrible, and we got blown out. And it was ALL of them.

Overall, in the last ten games of the season, excluding that game (which I am not ignoring because I already showed where all of the blame should be), I have very little problem with the offense because we have not only been winning but dominating most games, particularly the last five. I have very little if any problem with the QB or the RB or the OL or the WR or the TE or the play-calling or the coaching because they all have been contributing and doing their jobs and what it takes to win. When the offense stops performing, in a loss, because they are not doing their jobs, or a single player or players are not doing their jobs, and cause a loss that knocks us out of playoff contention, I will resume having a problem with them.

Maybe the offense didn't need to open the game up and score with that 17 point lead at the half or 20 or 23 point lead? Maybe handing the ball off on simple dive plays to an injured Willis or Shaud Williams trying to run the clock down with a three score lead late in the third and the entire fourth quarter had a WEE bit to do with not rolling up the yardage and stats in a must win game? Maybe the fact that the only time in the game when we actually DID need the offense to show it can score it scored in about four or five plays?

171274[/snapback]

Maybe.

Jerry Sullivan and Mark Weiler are nothing more than blowhards who like to hear themselves spew.

This is pretty amazing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this idiocy. I sent this guy an email a couple days ago and have been exchanging, uhm, emails with the joker. I challenged him to come to this thread and defend his idiocy. Let's see if he has the balls to do it.

I love the take away arguments.

Take away the last ten games and we are 0-4.

Take away all the water on earth and we are Pluto.

Take away Jerry Sullivan's and Mark Weiler's brains and you still have Jerry Sullivan and Mark Weiler.

Take away Jerry Sullivan's and Mark Weiler's egos and you have Mother Theresa.....

Maybe the offense didn't need to open the game up and score with that 17 point lead at the half or 20 or 23 point lead? Maybe handing the ball off on simple dive plays to an injured Willis or Shaud Williams trying to run the clock down with a three score lead late in the third and the entire fourth quarter had a WEE bit to do with not rolling up the yardage and stats in a must win game? Maybe the fact that the only time in the game when we actually DID need the offense to show it can score it scored in about four or five plays?

171274[/snapback]

Exactly!

for a guy who hates the bills, weiler sure does have some awesome seasons...i know cause i sat in them once. down low by the tunnel...damn we had fun that day.

i think the complaints about the offense are legit. and honestly, i think that as bad as bledsoe looks at times, the only thing that can save us is cowbells. thousands of them.

I hate to give him publicity, but I just can't get over how he can be so negative about a team that has gone 5-0 and put up 30+ points in all of those victories, AND call himself a Bills fan!

I recognize that the Bills aren't perfect, but he is going way overboard with this article. Calling our big plays luck is the same as saying the Patriots have nothing but luck. Great teams make great plays, simple as that.

Hell, even Jerry Sullivan writes positive articles from time to time. Mark Weiler will continue to not be taken seriously if he keeps this up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cita...tadel&type=lgns

171194[/snapback]

I actually wrote the guy and emailm and got a response, regarding his article about how good are the Bills. He proceeded to knock down every point i made.

I said look at the fact that the Bills have scored 30 points in the past 5 games, every game, he said" well that would mean the bills are among the greatest teams of all time" WTF, dude the guy OVERANALYZES EVERYTHING ABOUT THE BILLS

its not even worth reading the articles because he's so damn negative

I love these guys who rely on stats and totally ignore other factors, like, the weather.

In a shocking surprise in the games where it has been really cold or really windy or really windy and cold, the Bills defense has looked great and the Bills offense has struggled.

Amazingly, in Miami, on a beautiful day, the Bills offense was great but the defense was suspect.

Then these geniuses, pull out the stats and make proclamations about who is effective and who is not. Anybody who sat through the Arizona game is not surprised that passing stats were pretty anemic that day. It was tough holding onto a cold beer much less a football.

Still calling Drew Humpty. :)

I'm no Drew fan,

but that is so weak for someone who is allegedly a Bills reporter.

How the hell does his crap make it to Yahoo Sports? :D

171236[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. This guy is a moron. How does he get a column? The guy is just a glorified 2BD poster (aka ICE).

You guys are missing the point with him and his website. They're trying to get people to go there and read his stuff, so they can pay the Bills. The more you go there, the more money they make, and the more reason there is to keep him. Ignore him, send an e-mail to his supes that you won't go back BECAUSE of him, and the problem will get solved more surely than going there, reading his stuff and then complaining every week.

Ok Mr. F&B...I will agree that you can't exclude that fact.  However... I think the point that Sully and Maiorama over at the D&C today were making is that defenses are choking the Bills offense at the LOS. When that happens, an offense can not allow the defense to do that with impunity.  Wouldn't you agree with that?

You know it and I know it that I made mention on TSW yesterday of the very same things Sully and Maiorama observed and put in print today.  I guess all 3 of us are stupid beyond belief.  Well... if that so, then every defensive coordiator in the NFL is stupid along with me.... and  I can live with that.  So, you tell me... what seems to be the problem with the Bills offense?  How is this offense a whole lot different than what we've seen from Todd Collins or Rob Johnson?

171635[/snapback]

To answer the most directly about the difference in this offense from Collins & Johnson era, is that this is proibably the deepest and most balanced offensive unit we've had since the early '90s. While it probably doesn't stack up to the peak of K-Gun, don't be surprised when this unit becomes even more special.

I guess you choose to ignore the basic statistic that this team just set a record of 5 consecutive games of over 30 points.

You can nitpick any point you want to worry about the offense, but so far, only Patriots have been successful in bottling up the Bills by focusing on stopping McGahee. You can chalk that away to Bledose's continuing brain cramps in Foxboro.

But guess what? The blueprint is easy. I can tell you the best way to stop the Bills. Put eight men in the box, stop McGahee and make Bledsoe beat you. I imagine, every DC that's desigining a game plan against the Bills is doing that.

Executing that plan is a bit tougher. Miami threw everyone at McGahee, but got killed anyhow. You can talk about Cincy holding Buffalo to only 1 offensive TD, but it's not as if the Bills were really looking to run up the score after jumping to the big lead.

Lastly, it is ridiculous to discount what the defense and special teams have done in talking about the offense. There is a huge collateral effect.

To answer the most directly about the difference in this offense from Collins & Johnson era, is that this is proibably the deepest and most balanced offensive unit we've had since the early '90s.  While it probably doesn't stack up to the peak of K-Gun, don't be surprised when this unit becomes even more special. 

I guess you choose to ignore the basic statistic that this team just set a record of 5 consecutive games of over 30 points.

You can nitpick any point you want to worry about the offense, but so far, only Patriots have been successful in bottling up the Bills by focusing on stopping McGahee.  You can chalk that away to Bledose's continuing brain cramps in Foxboro. 

But guess what?  The blueprint is easy.  I can tell you the best way to stop the Bills.  Put eight men in the box, stop McGahee and make Bledsoe beat you.  I imagine, every DC that's desigining a game plan against the Bills is doing that. 

Executing that plan is a bit tougher.  Miami threw everyone at McGahee, but got killed anyhow.  You can talk about Cincy holding Buffalo to only 1 offensive TD, but it's not as if the Bills were really looking to run up the score after jumping to the big lead.

Lastly, it is ridiculous to discount what the defense and special teams have done in talking about the offense.  There is a huge collateral effect.

172738[/snapback]

Well written. Trying to analyze football by focusing on one aspect (e.g. statistics, quartback, RB, etc.) is asinine. Unfortunately, most of the media likes to do that so that can come up with "stories" to sell to a wanting public (e.g. Marcia Brady, Belichick the "genius", Parcells, JJ, etc.)

I really don't care what this guy thinks. he can write whatever the hell he wants. My biggest problem with him is that he is termed an insider. What does that mean. he goes inside the Ralph to watch the games.

I have a feeling that the 89 lady and or the guy who walks his dog in the parking lot are privy to more inside info than Mr Weiler.

If there were any meat to his work, I doubt he'd need to constantly use the "Metaphor" Humpty to draw attention to himself.

MW is that person at work who says something funny once and then keeps repeating it over and over and over again.

I wish whoever distributes this stuff would do a better job of screening their "insiders".