Relevant Again

phillyrich

Good morning. I begin this post by saying that, I love my heritage in Buffalo. Everything about me, who I am, is from what I learned growing up in WNY. I am in Philly now. As with Buffalo, the people in the Philly area are some of the nicest and coolest people in the world. Philly folks are also without a doubt some of the smartest sports fans I have ever chatted with and hung out with. I can't speak for the folks on this board that have relocated from WNY to other places in the US and the world. I can only speak for what I have experienced here in the Philly area.

That said, up until the start of the 2011 Bills season, any time I would meet some one new or hang out with friends and say I was from Buffalo, the typical humorous response has been - "Buffalo? Great people, sorry about the Bills"......"From Buffalo? Very nice people, but sorry to hear that you are from Buffalo"......"Buffalo? That still a city......"Buffalo, cold and dark"........ You folks get what I am saying.

Well, since the Kansas City Game, from friends / neighbors / newly introduced folks, I now have had the following Glazed Eyed responses - "Buffalo, I know this person and that person from Buffalo"....."Buffalo? Hey, should I add Fitzpatrick to my fantasy league???"......."Buffalo? Wow, Bills look good"........"Did you see the Raiders game"........"No One Circles the Wagons.."......."Hey bud, see Berman's Bills jersey named Wagons"........"From Buffalo, I really think they can knock the Pat's off this weekend". Or better yet, from neighbors / friends to my wife..."How are Bills doing? Her response "He is in there, I am going shopping, baby!"

We all know how awesome WNY really is. However, it is awesome to have the feeling that Buffalo and the Bills are no longer looked at as non relevant or a door mat. There are a bunch of us transplants that have moved on from WNY for one reason or another. What always connects us back to Buffalo are Family, Friends, the Sabres and of course the Bills. If there was ever a Ripe Opportunity for the Bills to re-elevate the perception of, and I quote the dear Tim Russert, the Buffalo "Way of Life", it is this weekend.

As of this morning while I wake up, drink my coffee and reflect on the wonderful week me and my family had, and an excellent work week as well, I don't feel comfortable YET in predicting a Bills win for tomorrow. However, because of the performance the Bills will deliver and how our fans will be showcased tailgaiting and in the stands, I do feel confident in stating that after the game clock hits 0:00, or some time in OT mind you, the league and the rest of the US will be put on further notice, that the Bills, WNY and "Our Way of Life" are back and need to be thought of as clearly Relevant again.

Go Bills!

Dammit I love the Bills. Please give me a good season....fantasies of playoffs are still alive for the time being....

You, sir, win the avatar of the month award. I love it!

...and playoff dreams are definitely still alive! I had a dream last night that the Bills had just won the wildcard game against the chargers and were facing... the Pats* next week in the divisional round.

Good morning. I begin this post by saying that, I love my heritage in Buffalo. Everything about me, who I am, is from what I learned growing up in WNY. I am in Philly now. As with Buffalo, the people in the Philly area are some of the nicest and coolest people in the world. Philly folks are also without a doubt some of the smartest sports fans I have ever chatted with and hung out with. I can't speak for the folks on this board that have relocated from WNY to other places in the US and the world. I can only speak for what I have experienced here in the Philly area.

That said, up until the start of the 2011 Bills season, any time I would meet some one new or hang out with friends and say I was from Buffalo, the typical humorous response has been - "Buffalo? Great people, sorry about the Bills"......"From Buffalo? Very nice people, but sorry to hear that you are from Buffalo"......"Buffalo? That still a city......"Buffalo, cold and dark"........ You folks get what I am saying.

Well, since the Kansas City Game, from friends / neighbors / newly introduced folks, I now have had the following Glazed Eyed responses - "Buffalo, I know this person and that person from Buffalo"....."Buffalo? Hey, should I add Fitzpatrick to my fantasy league???"......."Buffalo? Wow, Bills look good"........"Did you see the Raiders game"........"No One Circles the Wagons.."......."Hey bud, see Berman's Bills jersey named Wagons"........"From Buffalo, I really think they can knock the Pat's off this weekend". Or better yet, from neighbors / friends to my wife..."How are Bills doing? Her response "He is in there, I am going shopping, baby!"

We all know how awesome WNY really is. However, it is awesome to have the feeling that Buffalo and the Bills are no longer looked at as non relevant or a door mat. There are a bunch of us transplants that have moved on from WNY for one reason or another. What always connects us back to Buffalo are Family, Friends, the Sabres and of course the Bills. If there was ever a Ripe Opportunity for the Bills to re-elevate the perception of, and I quote the dear Tim Russert, the Buffalo "Way of Life", it is this weekend.

As of this morning while I wake up, drink my coffee and reflect on the wonderful week me and my family had, and an excellent work week as well, I don't feel comfortable YET in predicting a Bills win for tomorrow. However, because of the performance the Bills will deliver and how our fans will be showcased tailgaiting and in the stands, I do feel confident in stating that after the game clock hits 0:00, or some time in OT mind you, the league and the rest of the US will be put on further notice, that the Bills, WNY and "Our Way of Life" are back and need to be thought of as clearly Relevant again.

Go Bills!

So true. All my buddies from college have been asking the 411 on Fitzy too.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with you?

That Im not naive enough to assume a team that's dropped 15 straight to a perennial contender for over 10 years will win? That I can put things into perspective and not get euphorically high or suicidally low? Which means I won't fall to pieces if they don't prevail like all the rah rah cheerleaders will.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Can I speak for us realists/pessimist for just a second?

The next time I hear someone call us "fair-weather" or "bandwagon" fans I'm going to lose it.

Just because we dont start to "Billieve" after ever decent turn for the bills doesn't make us lesser fans. It makes us people who have been kicked in the groin 67 times and aren't going to believe the groin kicker will treat us nicely forever because he went a day not kicking us in the junk.

We root for them. Relentlessly. But that doesn't mean I can't be focused more on my swollen sack than the chance that the bully will buy me lunch today.

This is a fun time, don't get me wrong, but this relevancy will last until 4:00 tomorrow I'm afraid.

That said, Go Bills.

Edited by stevestojan

LOL I just put up a new one for you

Well played, brother! :thumbsup:

Can I speak for us realists/pessimist for just a second?

The next time I hear someone call us "fair-weather" or "bandwagon" fans I'm going to lose it.

Just because we dont start to "Billieve" after ever decent turn for the bills doesn't make us lesser fans. It makes us people who have been kicked in the groin 67 times and aren't going to believe the groin kicker will treat us nicely forever because he went a day not kicking us in the junk.

We root for them. Relentlessly. But that doesn't mean I can't be focused more on my swollen sack than the chance that the bully will buy me lunch today.

This is a fun time, don't get me wrong, but this relevancy will last until 4:00 tomorrow I'm afraid.

That said, Go Bills.

It's OK to be hurt, goodness knows. And skepticism is normal. But don't be afraid to hope... when the moment for hope arrives, which can be different for different people.

Go Bills!

That's the first time I have ever seen "Philly" and "smartest" in the same sentence.

Haha. I love a good Philly joke. Did you hear what they said about Joe Jurrevicous? Joe's wife was pregnant, and after Joe caught the game winning touchdown pass for the Tampa Bay Bucs in the NFC Championship game, the Eagles fans yelled "Your sons gonna die!!" turns out, his son actually did die shortly after being born. Nasty, huh?

Haha. I love a good Philly joke. Did you hear what they said about Joe Jurrevicous? Joe's wife was pregnant, and after Joe caught the game winning touchdown pass for the Tampa Bay Bucs in the NFC Championship game, the Eagles fans yelled "Your sons gonna die!!" turns out, his son actually did die shortly after being born. Nasty, huh?

Oh man.