Raining on the Parade

Pass the Pipe

So, what happens if Fitzy gets hurt and is out for any extended period? How confident would you be in the team then?

If the Bills lose their starting QB for an extended period of time they will be in trouble? There are very few teams that wouldn't be in trouble. One that probably be just as good is the Jets, because their QB is not so good and they win because of strong lines and an excellent defense.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe anyone is saying we are going to win the Super Bowl just yet. We are just enjoying the wins. If we lose on Sunday, which is a very real possibility, guess what? There's another game the following week that we have a very good chance of winning. There is no doubting that this team is improved from the ones we have been seeing the past few years. I for one am enjoying that and if we lose a few along the way, well then so be it. I have a pretty good feeling that this will be a good year compared to the past few. Take a little time and enjoy the wins my friend and when they do lose, because they surely will, then we can all feel bad about that.

Not so sure about a "real possibility of beating the Patriots". Anything is possible. But comparing the talent of the two teams, it's going to take A. Some lucky bounces B. Turnovers C. Brady having an "off day" at the same time the Bill's defense is having an "on day".

I think the Pats at home will be a good measure of where the Bills are as a team.

Don't want to be a downer, just giving a little reality check. Great to have two wins and no losses, but we beat a team with a coach already on the hot seat and a good bet to be in the running for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. The other team, not exactly a powerhouse and also missing it's entire starting receiving corp, nearly beat the Bills at home. They would have if not for a couple of dropped sure interceptions.

If the Bills have a convincing win over the Pats, or are even competitive and still in the game after the second half two-minute warning, I'll believe they're a team to be taken seriously.

I fully expect Brady to carve up our porous secondary and head back to Foxboro victorious. Hope I'm wrong.

Can anyone here just enjoy the fact that we are 2-0 and have played some exciting football? Life is too short people. It's football and right now it's fun. Just read Sullivan today. It's almost like some can't wait for the Bills to lose so you can say I told you so.

+1

Like many of you I am satisfied with this team’s direction and growth over the last 18 games under the Gailey/Nix regime, but I wouldn’t characterize my state as euphoric, intoxicated, or oblivious like too many of you including Sullivan. A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar. Still too many holes and too little time removed from the Marv Levy/Tom Modrak administration. Concerns that I have:

• A woeful pass rush; was Modrak very influential in last year’s draft class as limited gems have materialized from that pool of selections as well, especially Troupe and Carrington;

• Staying with the pass rush, I believe it is confirmed, Merriman certainly has lost multiple steps, not just the proverbial “step!” I like the emotion, brute strength, and determination, but his explosiveness is clearly lacking, just maybe it can be blamed on game conditioning, which truly has no similarities with a martial arts studio/training regime.

• Even I was fooled with the depth of this secondary as there is none. Frankly, I would bench McKelvin and start Aaron Williams, it can’t be any worse. Also, for the life of me, I can’t understand how management didn’t make a play for Brandon Meriweather, he certainly has experience with both the Patriots and Jets and would the drop off from George Wilson really be that far?

• The Andre Davis signing is, well, just that a signing; Sheppard has made enough plays on special teams to deserve a chance to displace this free agent bust. I love the kid’s intensity;

• We don’t have enough speed at the wide out position; we really need some explosiveness at that position, including the tight end, and no I am not lamenting on the Lee Evans trade, which I totally supported and was unquestionably the correct move; lastly

• For everything great about Fitzpatrick, he is still inaccurate and his arm lacks zip. Let’s face it, competent secondary play by the Raiders yesterday would have resulted in two or three picks and fans headed to the exits early in the forth.

I am hoping for Titans/Ravens type shocker on Sunday, but I just don’t see it. Hopefully it is tight and not the classic NE vs. Bills blowout that we have all become accustom to.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you that the Bills still have several weak links in the roster. That being said, IF Buffalo can avoid dumb turnovers, they have a chance to win this thing. With the Patriots, they will exploit any opportunity they are given, so the Bills need to play smart football this Sunday, or we will be 2-1 by 4pm Sunday afternoon..

Let's enjoy the victory - it was a great game -one of the most exciting in recent times. But I'll hold off on making playoff arrangements until they can consistently compete with the top teams. They showed signs last year with a near win against Pittsburgh. But until they show consistent play at a high leve and they are a feared opponent, fans of the Jets and Patriots et al, are penciling in a "W" on their prediction cards. Until the Bills prove otherwise, they're still perceived as a .500 or under team.

Call me a skeptic, but after 10+ years of heartbreak, I need to see proof. The Bills are relatively weak team. Fitzpatrick's heads-up play made them winners this week.

So, what happens if Fitzy gets hurt and is out for any extended period? How confident would you be in the team then?

What happens if any teams starting QB gets hurt? What kind of question is that? No team in the league would be nearly as comfortable with their backup than their starter.

What happens if any teams starting QB gets hurt? What kind of question is that? No team in the league would be nearly as comfortable with their backup than their starter.

A team that has a stout defense that wins games for them shouldn't have as much concern about their QB.

That doesn't exactly describe the Bills D. The secondary, which not long ago was considered the strength of the defense, is now a weak link and susceptible to being dinged for big gains by any QB (like Brady) that has great chemistry with the receivers and throws with great accuracy.

Also, there are plenty of teams that have backed up their starting QB with an experienced vet who can fill in adequately until the starter can return. Tyler Thigpen? Not exactly what I had in mind.

Like many of you I am satisfied with this team’s direction and growth over the last 18 games under the Gailey/Nix regime, but I wouldn’t characterize my state as euphoric, intoxicated, or oblivious like too many of you including Sullivan. A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar. Still too many holes and too little time removed from the Marv Levy/Tom Modrak administration. Concerns that I have:

• A woeful pass rush; was Modrak very influential in last year’s draft class as limited gems have materialized from that pool of selections as well, especially Troupe and Carrington;

• Staying with the pass rush, I believe it is confirmed, Merriman certainly has lost multiple steps, not just the proverbial “step!” I like the emotion, brute strength, and determination, but his explosiveness is clearly lacking, just maybe it can be blamed on game conditioning, which truly has no similarities with a martial arts studio/training regime.

• Even I was fooled with the depth of this secondary as there is none. Frankly, I would bench McKelvin and start Aaron Williams, it can’t be any worse. Also, for the life of me, I can’t understand how management didn’t make a play for Brandon Meriweather, he certainly has experience with both the Patriots and Jets and would the drop off from George Wilson really be that far?

• The Andre Davis signing is, well, just that a signing; Sheppard has made enough plays on special teams to deserve a chance to displace this free agent bust. I love the kid’s intensity;

• We don’t have enough speed at the wide out position; we really need some explosiveness at that position, including the tight end, and no I am not lamenting on the Lee Evans trade, which I totally supported and was unquestionably the correct move; lastly

• For everything great about Fitzpatrick, he is still inaccurate and his arm lacks zip. Let’s face it, competent secondary play by the Raiders yesterday would have resulted in two or three picks and fans headed to the exits early in the forth.

I am hoping for Titans/Ravens type shocker on Sunday, but I just don’t see it. Hopefully it is tight and not the classic NE vs. Bills blowout that we have all become accustom to.

Yea but then again...you're not really very smart are you?

By "make a play for Brandon Meriweather", do you mean that the Bills should've offered to trade for him? Because he was picked up off waivers by Carolina, the Bills never had a shot at him at all.

A team that has a stout defense that wins games for them shouldn't have as much concern about their QB.

That doesn't exactly describe the Bills D. The secondary, which not long ago was considered the strength of the defense, is now a weak link and susceptible to being dinged for big gains by any QB (like Brady) that has great chemistry with the receivers and throws with great accuracy.

Also, there are plenty of teams that have backed up their starting QB with an experienced vet who can fill in adequately until the starter can return. Tyler Thigpen? Not exactly what I had in mind.

The Pats are hosed if Brady goes down. The Colts are already hosed. What's your point?

By "make a play for Brandon Meriweather", do you mean that the Bills should've offered to trade for him? Because he was picked up off waivers by Carolina, the Bills never had a shot at him at all.

You're thinking of Darius Butler. Meriweather signed with Chicago.

So like Kerry Collins....?

You know hope, I am pretty sure you have seen the posts around here proclaiming the Bills will go 12-4, 11-5, etc. - which we must admit is naivity at it's best or merely a continued slow burn of the alcohol consumed a couple of days ago. The team is undoubtedly headed in the right direction, but so was the Titanic when it met up with the iceburg on that fateful evening in April of 1912. Much like the passengers of that doomed voyage, Bill's fans are marveling at the beauty of it's bandwagon at current...undoubtedly to be let down by the iceburgs on our schedule.

I think all Bills fans are enjoying a fun victory and the mere fact we can watch them and not blanch with every dropback, but the fact remains, our team is too thin on All Pro level talent to challange the real teams of the NFL.

Really would like to respond in depth to this kind of thinking...but I'll just say I don't get it

And I hope I never do...

When was the last time you saw "expert picks" and nobody picks the pats to win the game? How many times have you seen them all pick the Bills to win the game? The pats are a team that everyone expects to win, or at least be in the game until the last possession. That being said... It will be a good close game, unless we have no **pass rush**, then we won't be able to compete. My worry is the screen passes and draw plays. When Woodhead is on the field, I'd expect draw plays and short passes. The kid can't block, but if my memory serves correctly, he had a good day both times we played them last year. I'd expect Fitz to take some shots down field considering the overwhelming amount of passes 10yds or less. In 4 or 5 wide offense, if we can get good protection and let the play develop, I think our tall receivers have the edge over their secondary. Not sure what the weather is supposed to be like, but if it's dry, I think it'll be a high scoring game. Prediction: Bills 35 - Pats 31. If it's wet out, Bills 27-Pats 17, Bills stop the run and force short throws, Freddy runs all day and has his 3rd 100+ game of the season. Call me naive but it's time we show that we are a legit team.

Can anyone here just enjoy the fact that we are 2-0 and have played some exciting football? Life is too short people. It's football and right now it's fun. Just read Sullivan today. It's almost like some can't wait for the Bills to lose so you can say I told you so.

I can!

Gentlemen (using the term loosely):

To be clear, I am very confident in my capabilities and observations regarding this team and my previous posting track record speaks for itself. Also, I actually enjoy the insults and emotional outbursts in reaction to my objective observations as I look at this place somewhat through the lens of a science experiment on the human psyche.

Back to the business at hand, I have no issue with Marv Levy professionally and personally, but his performance as a General Manager was nothing short of abysmal and he should be held accountable for it! If I recall correctly, he was somewhat in disagreement with the current direction of the team according to an article in a Syracuse paper, which is egotistical to say the least. My main points of contention are that this reclamation project could have been further along with more aggressiveness in the free agent market and a selection of Brian Buluga vs. CJ Spiller, but make no mistake I am on board and satisfied with the progress of the team. Also, Chan Gailey is without question the best thing that has happen to this team in the last ten years and he deserves a pay upgrade immediately; I greatly thank Cowher and Shanahan respectively for not taking the job, but everybody has to agree Shanahan certainly knows what he is doing!

Lastly, great point by the poster indicating that the secondary benefited immensely last year from the weak run defense. The secondary and lack of pass rush will have nowhere to hide on Sunday, this is not a below average quarterback and three back-ups in the receiving core, give the points and take the Pats!

+ 1

I read the Sullivan article and he says McLuvin stated that he didn't struggle against the Raiders? :blink:

This guy is a risk to cost the Bills a game every time he's on the field, IMO.

To be clear, I am very confident in my capabilities and observations regarding this team and my previous posting track record speaks for itself. Also, I actually enjoy the insults and emotional outbursts in reaction to my objective observations as I look at this place somewhat through the lens of a science experiment on the human psyche.

Back to the business at hand, I have no issue with Marv Levy professionally and personally, but his performance as a General Manager was nothing short of abysmal and he should be held accountable for it! If I recall correctly, he was somewhat in disagreement with the current direction of the team according to an article in a Syracuse paper, which is egotistical to say the least. My main points of contention are that this reclamation project could have been further along with more aggressiveness in the free agent market and a selection of Brian Buluga vs. CJ Spiller, but make no mistake I am on board and satisfied with the progress of the team. Also, Chan Gailey is without question the best thing that has happen to this team in the last ten years and he deserves a pay upgrade immediately; I greatly thank Cowher and Shanahan respectively for not taking the job, but everybody has to agree Shanahan certainly knows what he is doing!

Lastly, great point by the poster indicating that the secondary benefited immensely last year from the weak run defense. The secondary and lack of pass rush will have nowhere to hide on Sunday, this is not a below average quarterback and three back-ups in the receiving core, give the points and take the Pats!

Thought you would be interested to know that there has been considerable research on the correlation between confidence level and the accuracy of observations...and, interestingly enough...there is none.

Just sayin'

:lol::sick: