Kids day at Buffalo Bills Stadium

What a busy body this guy is. "Oh no, there were lines at a sporting event and my kids couldnt bring baloon hats into the game! Better go write the paper!"

Are you serious? Really?

Now comes the question someone will inevitably ask and so I will... do YOU have kids?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? Really?

Now comes the question someone will inevitably ask and so I will... do YOU have kids?

I don't know about Dave, but I do have a kid (4-year-old boy) and my reaction was similar to his.

Long lines at a free event? A pain, yes, but a surprise, no.

The balloon hat thing? Upsetting, yes. Silly, yes. Also not a surprise in the current world of overofficious security people.

The attempt to make it appear to be all about Bills management? Utterly unsurprising, but without more context unproven.

I don't know about Dave, but I do have a kid (4-year-old boy) and my reaction was similar to his.

Long lines at a free event? A pain, yes, but a surprise, no.

The balloon hat thing? Upsetting, yes. Silly, yes. Also not a surprise in the current world of overofficious security people.

The attempt to make it appear to be all about Bills management? Utterly unsurprising, but without more context unproven.

Having little kids and trying to raise them right it a difficult responsibility this day in age. I couldn't imagine taking them somewhere special like this only to be see the laziness and the incompetence of human beings for an event that others have made special so that kids come and have fun. That's where we are at... and so if you advertise this, you had better do it right and take special care to ensure it is done right. I would have been pissed...

Edited by BmoreBills

Yes I do. I think it's important to raise children who don't feel they are entitled to everything. There is nothing wrong with saying "no".

You didn't answer the question. I have an 11 year old son who isn't entitled in the least, but if anyone advertises something and then produces something far inferior in return, you bet they will hear about it from me. Don't have it at all if you can't be bothered to staff it properly or have hats for kids if you can't wear them in the stadium. The Bills aren't a low budget or non profit organization... they CAN afford for it to be at least OK and not inferior!

Having little kids and trying to raise them right it a difficult responsibility this day in age. I couldn't imagine taking them somewhere special like this only to be see the laziness and the incompetence of human beings for an event that others have made special so that kids come and have fun. That's where we are at... and so if you advertise this, you had better do it right and take special care to ensure it is done right. I would have been pissed...

I agree with you in general, but frankly we have no idea from this article whether it was done right or not. When I read the piece I wondered: how long were the lines? If people were standing in them patiently, why did this parent think it was some kind of horrible imposition? As for the balloon hat thing, I agree it is a shame... but if I am in one of those long lines, and see kids in front of me being asked to remove them, why am I surprised when my kid is asked to do the same?

I agree with you in general, but frankly we have no idea from this article whether it was done right or not. When I read the piece I wondered: how long were the lines? If people were standing in them patiently, why did this parent think it was some kind of horrible imposition? As for the balloon hat thing, I agree it is a shame... but if I am in one of those long lines, and see kids in front of me being asked to remove them, why am I surprised when my kid is asked to do the same?

Unmanned stations is what I was talking about, and not having enough people... and then you tease kids by the hats. I would like to hear more from others who went.

The only thing I could come up with about the balloon hats is that maybe there's a rule about wearing non-licensed NFL material. It's a weak as hell rationale but it's all I could come up with.

It is garbage they'd make the kids throw out the hats. Certainly kids these days seem to have an inflated sense of entitlement, which (to me) means they whine, piss, moan, or throw a tantrum over things they "want" . The kids had the hats made for them and given to them. Then some security guy tells them they have to throw it away. I think it's okay for a child to feel that hat is "theirs" since its already been made for and given to them.

dont you guys see that the "rub" here is that this is just another mixed message and instance of a communication breakdown among the bills org and security forces.

why are balloon hats even being offered if the children cant bring them into the game? shouldnt there be some middle man there to tell whoever was planning on giving away balloon hats that maybe the should consider some other activity/give-away for the kids.

just like the new lot and parking rules - and then the bills release a statement encouraging fans to arrive early. but not too early since our lots are opening later this year. come on.

i went to two of the preseason games, but i am interested to see how this new abbott road closing is going to work out with a packed house.

and then there's the smoking ban. was smoking really a problem? the smokers were already cordoned off to an isolated area near the outer gates. easily avoidable if you dont want to risk inhaling secondhand smoke. by banning smoking altogether, i think we will see a rise in people smoking in the stands and restrooms where ppl feel there are less likely to be caught because they can hide among large amounts of people.

not that i think going to the game should be a wild west free for all, but this sanitized product goddell is pushing is really taking away the spirit of the game. if a fan wants that sanitized experience, stay home! the view is much better considering most people have digital HD televisions.

dont you guys see that the "rub" here is that this is just another mixed message and instance of a communication breakdown among the bills org and security forces.

why are balloon hats even being offered if the children cant bring them into the game? shouldnt there be some middle man there to tell whoever was planning on giving away balloon hats that maybe the should consider some other activity/give-away for the kids.

just like the new lot and parking rules - and then the bills release a statement encouraging fans to arrive early. but not too early since our lots are opening later this year. come on.

i went to two of the preseason games, but i am interested to see how this new abbott road closing is going to work out with a packed house.

and then there's the smoking ban. was smoking really a problem? the smokers were already cordoned off to an isolated area near the outer gates. easily avoidable if you dont want to risk inhaling secondhand smoke. by banning smoking altogether, i think we will see a rise in people smoking in the stands and restrooms where ppl feel there are less likely to be caught because they can hide among large amounts of people.

not that i think going to the game should be a wild west free for all, but this sanitized product goddell is pushing is really taking away the spirit of the game. if a fan wants that sanitized experience, stay home! the view is much better considering most people have digital HD televisions.

Smoking ban is courtesy of New York State. Bills have no say.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I only know what I've told. Tell me what you know.

PTR

NYS smoke-free laws do not regulate RWS. "outdoor" stadiums operate in a grey area. this is why smoking was originally limited to the outer concourse, then later pushed to the yellow boxes.

The smoking ban was adopted by the bills in reaction to pressure from the NFL, not "due to fan's wishes" as OBD has claimed.

I dont have a link to one source containing all this info, but im sure youre savvy enough to google and connect the dots.

the bills have even received an award for adopting their proactive anti-smoking policy. of course they wouldnt be given an award for merely complying with state/county law.

not trying to start an argument here, but i have yet to read/hear any sort of justification for this policy other than the NFL has been "encouraging" all stadiums to adopt a smoke-free policy.

edit: here's a list of nfl smoking policies to see how RWS stacks up: http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/smokingpoliciesNFLstadiums.pdf

edit part 2: here's the actual state law: http://www.health.state.ny.us/regulations/public_health_law/section/1399/

Edited by uncle flap

You didn't answer the question. I have an 11 year old son who isn't entitled in the least, but if anyone advertises something and then produces something far inferior in return, you bet they will hear about it from me. Don't have it at all if you can't be bothered to staff it properly or have hats for kids if you can't wear them in the stadium. The Bills aren't a low budget or non profit organization... they CAN afford for it to be at least OK and not inferior!

They were advertising that kids can come watch the game while wearing balloon hats? And whens the last time you've seen a kid wear one of those things for more than 15 minutes?

Smoking ban is courtesy of New York State. Bills have no say.

PTR

I was reading that one of the many upgrades, etc. the Sabres are doing at the Arena was to move the smoking area away from the Sabres Store. My reaction to that was - they get it - you can still have a smoking area - just keep away from where people will be bothered.

The Bills don't get it.