National Anthem on Sunday

jumbalaya

Right, but they could've chosen literally anything to accomplish that.

True, and other songs may have been played as well. Early ballparks were literally just parks; no real seating of any kind, except for maybe some bleachers. In most cases the field was roped off, with people milling around in a crowd on the other side of the rope. The national anthem was played not only to alert the crowd, but also to focus their attention to the center of the field where the game was going to be played. With the anthem playing, people are more likely to stand at attention, quiet down, and look at either the band playing or the flag. Using the anthem ensured that the crowd would be focused on the field and relatively quiet for the game to begin.

Edited by mobywale

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AMUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

For 9/11 I completely understand, but for every other game and sport I think it's extremely uncessary. You see Americans booing the Canadian anthem, then Canadians booing the American anthem and so on. Drunk fans, sports, and multinational pride do not mix well.

According to wikipedia, the Star Spangled Banner was performed at baseball games as early as 1897, but not necessarily performed before (or during) every game in every city. The song became the official national anthem in 1931, and it wasn't until WWII that the tradition of playing before every baseball game began.

link

For 9/11 I completely understand, but for every other game and sport I think it's extremely uncessary. You see Americans booing the Canadian anthem, then Canadians booing the American anthem and so on. Drunk fans, sports, and multinational pride do not mix well.

Cannot disagree more.

I have been to many, many sports events. Never booed the Canadian anthem, never heard it done at a Sabres game either.

I say get ride of the drunk fans and keep the anthem.

Cannot disagree more.

I have been to many, many sports events. Never booed the Canadian anthem, never heard it done at a Sabres game either.

Happens in hockey playoffs ALOT. Both countries are equally responsible.

Also saw it once at a Bills game. Some Canadian band played "O Canada" (which I didn't understand anyway), but it was followed with a loud boo throughout. This happened years ago.

I just don't see the place for the anthem before sporting events. I don't get it. It's used more to get fans riled up rather than promoting national unity imo, which I think is sad.

Even in STL where you're from

And Montreal is notorious for booing American anthems

How many of you stand up, remove all headgear and stay still until they finish the National Anthem when you're watching a game on TV?

If you don't, then don't complain if they go to a commercial instead of showing it. If you do, good for you, but you're in the minority.

Is this for all games that day?

I am looking forward to the anthem on Sunday

night when my Boys play the Jets. That will be

the only ""GOOD"" part of the night for me.

Ah I hope I'm speaking for many when I say I'm cheering for your 'boys.

I think Jets hatred might currently rate higher than Cowboys hatred.

Besides that, Dallas is in better hands with Garrett than with Wade, IMO. I like most of the moves they made this offseason.

Hope your team whups the Nyets!

Cannot disagree more.

As is often the case, I'm with Bob on this one. I haven't been to a Sabres game since about 2001 but I never saw any booing of the Canadian National Anthem.

I love the playing of the anthems and sing out loud at all sporting events… both the Star Spangled Banner and Oh Canada.

As was stated upthread, it's the one time before a competition where sportsmanship, civility, and respect can make a statement.

The recent trend of booing national anthems is a really sad reflection of our times.

Also saw it once at a Bills game. Some Canadian band played "O Canada" (which I didn't understand anyway), but it was followed with a loud boo throughout. This happened years ago.

I just don't see the place for the anthem before sporting events. I don't get it. It's used more to get fans riled up rather than promoting national unity imo, which I think is sad.

youtube.com/watch?v=IlHNOq8k46A

Well you certainly gave me proof that it happens. I am a surprised and ashamed of that St. Louis Blues video. At least in Buffalo, where we are used to Canadians, I did not ever hear booing. I practically lived in the Aud as a kid growing up in Buffalo in the 70's. Never heard in, even against the Leafs and Canadians.

I do not think the anthem is used to rile up the fans. Riling up fans is the last thing that anyone wants.

The booing says more about how people are today. Sad.

Edited by Bob in STL

I'm always appalled at the ignorant morons who fail to shut up, stand, and honor the flag when the anthem is sung - or when some a-hole complains about not being able to buy a beer during those few minutes.

This is what I say to those people...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

How many of you stand up, remove all headgear and stay still until they finish the National Anthem when you're watching a game on TV?

Sorry :(

I do remember seeing an old Happy Days episode where Richie gets home late and Mr C is still up. As they are preparing to go to bed, the TV station that Mr C had one starts playing the National Anthem since they are going off the air for the night. Mr C stops and places his hand over his heart.

Well you certainly gave me proof that it happens. I am a surprised and ashamed of that St. Louis Blues video. At least in Buffalo, where we are used to Canadians, I did not ever hear booing. I practically lived in the Aud as a kid growing up in Buffalo in the 70's. Never heard in, even against the Leafs and Canadians.

I do not think the anthem is used to rile up the fans. Riling up fans is the last thing that anyone wants.

The booing says more about how people are today. Sad.

Agreed.

I find it amazing that about 90 seconds of quiet respect of your own or other culture is asking too much out of some people.

Sorry :(

I do remember seeing an old Happy Days episode where Richie gets home late and Mr C is still up. As they are preparing to go to bed, the TV station that Mr C had one starts playing the National Anthem since they are going off the air for the night. Mr C stops and places his hand over his heart.

The reason I brought it up is that when they start the races at OTB, they play the National Anthem. I'm amazed that everyone stands up as if they're actually at the track. I must admit I join them out of peer pressure, but the entire time I'm thinking that nobody does that when they're watching a ballgame in their living room, and I doubt they do it when they're watching the races at home.

The reason I brought it up is that when they start the races at OTB, they play the National Anthem. I'm amazed that everyone stands up as if they're actually at the track. I must admit I join them out of peer pressure, but the entire time I'm thinking that nobody does that when they're watching a ballgame in their living room, and I doubt they do it when they're watching the races at home.

Part of it I think is generations, the other part is where people live/grew up. Going to the Hall Of Fame parade in Canton I'm always amazed that whenever an American flag comes by, everyone stands up. But at the parades around here (CNY) people normally stay in the chairs along the parade route.

Certainly there's an event nature to it, especially the physical acknowledgement. Sharing it with a group holds a different place for me. Though I don't stand for it at home I certainly show respect and I am quiet.

So by now you've all heard about the Cowboys fan who was somehow able to sneak a taser into the Meadowlands Stadium and later on used it in an altercation.

The altercation was a result of the refusal of the taser man and his friends to stand for the national anthem.

A US Marine noticed this and warned the taser man not to try exiting the row at his end.

"A Marine at the end of the row noticed that McKelvey and three others in his party would not stand or take their hats off for the national anthem," a law enforcement officer told CLIFFVIEW PILOT. "So the Marine tells McKelvey he better not have to get out of the row cause he won't let him out."

Sure enough, during the halftime show, McKelvey got up. Words were exhanged.

Three people in all, including the Marine, were hit with current from the gun, State Police Sgt. Brian Polite told CLIFFVIEW PILOT. All three later refused medical treatment, he said."

http://www.cliffviewpilot.com/bergen/2781-fan-charged-with-using-taser-on-marine-at-jets-cowboys-brawl-inside-metlife-stadium

So by now you've all heard about the Cowboys fan who was somehow able to sneak a taser into the Meadowlands Stadium and later on used it in an altercation.

The altercation was a result of the refusal of the taser man and his friends to stand for the national anthem.

A US Marine noticed this and warned the taser man not to try exiting the row at his end.

"A Marine at the end of the row noticed that McKelvey and three others in his party would not stand or take their hats off for the national anthem," a law enforcement officer told CLIFFVIEW PILOT. "So the Marine tells McKelvey he better not have to get out of the row cause he won't let him out."

Sure enough, during the halftime show, McKelvey got up. Words were exhanged.

Three people in all, including the Marine, were hit with current from the gun, State Police Sgt. Brian Polite told CLIFFVIEW PILOT. All three later refused medical treatment, he said."

http://www.cliffviewpilot.com/bergen/2781-fan-charged-with-using-taser-on-marine-at-jets-cowboys-brawl-inside-metlife-stadium

This just shows the stupidity of all those involved.

When you're at a game, you stand for the anthem, if not you're just being a fool. At his age McKelvey should know better.

As a Marine, doesn't the guy understand that what he is defending includes McKelvey's freedom not to stand during the national anthem without being threatened? He has no right to demand anything from another citizen whose rights he has chosen to defend.

How stupid is McKelvey? He brings a stun gun into the stadium & then creates an incident where he might want to use it. After the anthem dispute, anyone with a brain would have just exited out the other side of the row and not thrown gasoline on the fire. What did he think was going to happen when he used the stun gun other than getting himself arrested?

Edited by Albany,n.y.

$$$. They need to squeeze in another 90 seconds of revenue from commercials.

NASCAR makes enough money from advertising considering the whole event is about moving Billboards going around in circles, 90 seconds of advertising is chump change to them.

So until American sports uniforms start looking like European Hockey jerseys, they will try and squeeze as much advertising as they can in during games

Cannot disagree more.

Fans get into an uproar when they are told they can't park where they want and take up multiple parking spots in the parking lot, they also argue that children shouldn't be attending games because they should be allowed to get really drunk because the team sucks. Just imagine the riots if these places stopped serving alcohol or banned alcohol from the property for Tailgates????

This just shows the stupidity of all those involved.

When you're at a game, you stand for the anthem, if not you're just being a fool. At his age McKelvey should know better.

As a Marine, doesn't the guy understand that what he is defending includes McKelvey's freedom not to stand during the national anthem without being threatened? He has no right to demand anything from another citizen whose rights he has chosen to defend.

How stupid is McKelvey? He brings a stun gun into the stadium & then creates an incident where he might want to use it. After the anthem dispute, anyone with a brain would have just exited out the other side of the row and not thrown gasoline on the fire. What did he think was going to happen when he used the stun gun other than getting himself arrested?

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

youtube.com/watch?v=IlHNOq8k46A

it may have been for their annual "Canada Day" at the Ralph years ago.

As for Montreal, please don't mistake the french for being "Canadian"