Banks SI power rankings

Ramblin' Rob

Definitely fair in my book. Better than the lazy "they were 3rd worst last year, so lets rank them 3rd worst this year" that a lot of rankings have us at. Pre-season showed us an improved starting defense, which should at the very least make us more competitive.

I'll take 24... for now.

I want 1.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/09/07/pre.regular.season/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

The link above is to the SI power rankings by Don Banks. I feel this is a fair place for us to be ranked. How about you? haters commence.

Alright I'll start. Don Banks sucks.

His position for the Bills seems beyond fair though.

i have no opinion on banks, but at least he didn't take the easy way out with the bills and lump them in with the MORE floundering teams

At this point, it's nothing but hope that we don't end up there. I think 24 is fair... I'd say my "fair" range probably would be like 22-28 objectively.

Alright I'll start. Don Banks sucks.

His position for the Bills seems beyond fair though.

Would you care to expand. He's one of the better national guys IMO. And from a purely subjective Bill's standpoint, he's one of the only national guys that generally doesn't piss on us whenever given the opportunity.

Meh, rankings really don't mean chit as this point. Lets play a few meaningful games b4 we talk about were some chumps rank a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in a long long time. 24th or 32nd, probably wont change how B-lo will play come Sunday. Personally i like being CONSIDERED an under dogg. We will have a better feal for the bills come Monday! LET'S GO B-LO!

Meh, rankings really don't mean chit as this point.

"Power" rankings really don't mean anything, ever. They are purely for fans, and are just conversation- and controversy-generators. They are created because they actually do that job quite well. Put as much stock in them as you want. W-L and division record are really the only crucial rankings to pay any attention to, though. I'd rather see the Bills "ranked" 19th and getting into the playoffs than winning the goodwill of fickle sports media outlets.

"Power" rankings really don't mean anything, ever. They are purely for fans, and are just conversation- and controversy-generators. They are created because they actually do that job quite well. Put as much stock in them as you want. W-L and division record are really the only crucial rankings to pay any attention to, though. I'd rather see the Bills "ranked" 19th and getting into the playoffs than win the goodwill of fickle sports media outlets.

Later in the season they r a little entertaining. With rosters being different, coaching, philosophies different ect, I feel they r a joke in the beginning of the season,,,, that’s all!

Later in the season they r a little entertaining. With rosters being different, coaching, philosophies different ect, I feel they r a joke in the beginning of the season,,,, that’s all!

No doubt. They are nothing if not entertaining. But they always are; that was my point. Like, it's hilarious that the Dolphins, the team that actually has Chad Henne graded out as an NFL QB, are ranked #23 above the Bills. That's entertainment! Even Banks, who is providing some rationale for most of his decisions here, looks to be "plugging in" Miami over Buffalo, for no apparent reason.

Entertaining, not meaningful.

I simply like them to gauge the national view of our team. They mean nothing. Any rankings that have us in the bottom three I feel are lazy assessments based on our record last season, not how we look going into next year. Our D is substantially better, and our O will not be worse than last year. That Makes us a better team this year.

Edited by RichmondRob