Should Indy trade for Carson Palmer?

From Ohio.com Linky:

"Palmer has to hope a big-name quarterback on a playoff contender gets seriously injured before the trade deadline, because Brown will love not paying Palmer his $11.5 million salary this season."

Well Hey Y'all, guess what. They aren't paying him his $11.5 million salary ("Reserve/Did Not Report" list), and a big-name QB on a playoff contender with no decent backup, just might be seriously hurt.

Are the Colts really going to bet the season on a 38 year old QB with a <55% lifetime completion percentage, backed up by Curtis Painter?

Palmer is 7 years younger. Unlike Collins, he's played two 16 game seasons the last two years throwing >3000 yds in both.

Palmer would seem a better fit for a team that is "built to throw". He would come in with a chip on his shoulder, determined to prove he's a quality QB when matched with a contender.

Is this a possibility?....does Indy have anything Bengals might want?...was this possibility explored by Polian et al before signing Collins, and turned down by the Bengals?

Or does Collins $4 million, 1 year deal ($2.5 million in signing bonus, only $1.5 million more for the season) take this off the table?

From Ohio.com Linky:

"Palmer has to hope a big-name quarterback on a playoff contender gets seriously injured before the trade deadline, because Brown will love not paying Palmer his $11.5 million salary this season."

Well Hey Y'all, guess what. They aren't paying him his $11.5 million salary ("Reserve/Did Not Report" list), and a big-name QB on a playoff contender with no decent backup, just might be seriously hurt.

Are the Colts really going to bet the season on a 38 year old QB with a <55% lifetime completion percentage, backed up by Curtis Painter?

Palmer is 7 years younger. Unlike Collins, he's played two 16 game seasons the last two years throwing >3000 yds in both.

Palmer would seem a better fit for a team that is "built to throw". He would come in with a chip on his shoulder, determined to prove he's a quality QB when matched with a contender.

Is this a possibility?....does Indy have anything Bengals might want?...was this possibility explored by Polian et al before signing Collins, and turned down by the Bengals?

Or does Collins $4 million, 1 year deal ($2.5 million in signing bonus, only $1.5 million more for the season) take this off the table?

Is Palmer that much better than Kerry Collins at this point? Carson had a few nice years, but, to me, he is looking more like the Drew Bledsoe of 2003-2006, than the good Carson Palmer of a few years ago. Palmer was badly injured, and really hasn't been very good ever since. I am not completely sure, all things equal, if Collins wouldn't do just as well as Palmer. He may be marginally better, but, IMO, if Manning doesn't come back, the Colts are !@#$ed either way.

Edited by Buftex

Heard Tucker & Miller talk about this on Sirius NFL Radio this morning. Miller thinks Bulger would be a candidate there too. Tucker says he doesn't want to play though.

Palmer's being treated like he retired from the NFL yesterday leaving Cincinnati in the lurch. People that talk about Ralph should thank their lucky starts The Bills aren't owned by the Brown family.

Heard Tucker & Miller talk about this on Sirius NFL Radio this morning. Miller thinks Bulger would be a candidate there too. Tucker says he doesn't want to play though.

Palmer's being treated like he retired from the NFL yesterday leaving Cincinnati in the lurch. People that talk about Ralph should thank their lucky starts The Bills aren't owned by the Brown family.

I would imagine Bulger is spent..that guy took some pretty bad hits over the years.

Is Palmer that much better than Kerry Collins at this point? Carson had a few nice years, but, to me, he is looking more like the Drew Bledsoe of 2003-2006, than the good Carson Palmer of a few years ago. Palmer was badly injured, and really hasn't been very good ever since. I am not completely sure, all things equal, if Collins wouldn't do just as well as Palmer. He may be marginally better, but, IMO, if Manning doesn't come back, the Colts are !@#$ed either way.

A valid point that Palmer's Manningesque-quality years are pre-injury and 5-6 years ago. It's also a point that the Bengles have kind of reverted towards Bungles and he hasn't had a very good team around him. He's still done several things Collins hasn't: 1) put up >60% completions and >80% QBR 2) played 16 game seasons.

You may be right that the Colts, they're Manning and without Manning, they're hosed.

People thought that about the Pats when Bledsoe went down, and again when Brady went down (the two strongest arguments for Belicheck as a quality coach IMO).

So who knows.

I would imagine Bulger is spent..that guy took some pretty bad hits over the years.

Bulger got his a** pounded with the Rams for sure.

Warner was able to come back (and how) after a few years to recover from the pounding.

IMO, like Palmer, Bulger is potentially a better QB than Collins. But again, like Palmer, the argument could be made that he was very good back in 2005-2006 vice recently and the question is, does that reflect decline in his skills, or being surrounded by suckitude on a losing franchise.

This may be another avenue that Indy tried to explore quietly and did not succeed. Or then again, maybe they think Collins is the better choice.

I believe carson palmer could be an elite quarterback if he was on a decent team. The bengals are horrid, I would honestly feel bad for Andrew Luck if thats where he goes.

I believe carson palmer could be an elite quarterback if he was on a decent team. The bengals are horrid, I would honestly feel bad for Andrew Luck if thats where he goes.

Did you watch Palmer? He is very overrated and is an INT machine. A lot of his numbers this year were put up in garbage time.

let me preface with this before my response. i think losing games for draft picks is stupid and will always set your franchise back. but....

indy without peyton is awful, and they need to find a way to get somebody on the roster as a long term replacement when he retires, and it is time to start thinking about that. i imagine he will be gone in about 5. carson palmer is not the answer, that team is only playoff worthy because of their HOF qb, palmer gets them 6 wins. struggle through the season with what you have, either find a midround qb in the first, or shore up your d, since it is a mess over there. just my thought

flame away