Thigpen

Thigpen was a great signing to be our backup QB. When Fitz plays a few games like the 1st half he saturday He'll get extended and then we'll have Fitz, Thigpen, and Smith for a few years while we get this thing rolling to the playoffs and beyond. Yeah yeah, maybe Im drinking the coolade, but I was there Saturday and they looked so much better than they ever did last season. Im excited.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thigpen was a great signing to be our backup QB. When Fitz plays a few games like the 1st half he saturday He'll get extended and then we'll have Fitz, Thigpen, and Smith for a few years while we get this thing rolling to the playoffs and beyond. Yeah yeah, maybe Im drinking the coolade, but I was there Saturday and they looked so much better than they ever did last season. Im excited.

I love your faith. They were impressive.

I am wondering if Thigpen will even make the team. I agree with the OP that Brown looked better. With Fitz as our #1, & the wise acquisition of Smith, combined with the fact that we actually drafted Brown & he's received positive words from Nix & Gailey, why would we even want four QB's? I say there's a good chance Thiggy will get a pink slip.

Yeah, he was horrible 2 years ago when he was the 3rd best player in fantasy over the last 8 games. Sure, fantasy means nothing, but he played great. Youre assesment is based off of what? what he's done in 3 weeks without mini camps, playing with a bunch of guys who won't be in the league a week from now? Im not calling him a great qb, all I'm saying is we don't know what we have at this point. Let him settle in for over a month before you crucify him. Geez

What's his Madden rating? :lol:

So, do you think Brown or Smith will cut? Or do we stay with all four?

Brown, clearly. Look, he wasnt even slated to play in the Jax game. Thats the 3rd, and most important game of the preseason (according to most ppl). what does that tell ya.

Brown, clearly. Look, he wasnt even slated to play in the Jax game. Thats the 3rd, and most important game of the preseason (according to most ppl). what does that tell ya.

Excellent Point - If you are correct, it will be sad to see him go. I had high hopes for the kid. I've seen a couple interviews with him & he's got a good head on his shoulders, a great tude, & he really wants to be an NFL QB. He's got a smooth release too. Someone will pick him up.

He's looked mediocre but I'm confident he's a capable backup QB. In the one season where he got extended playing time as a starter, he threw for 18 TDs, 12 INTs, and his team scored 21 points a game when he became the permanent starter.

That batch of regular season games (where Thigpen was also coached by Gailey) carries more weight than a few preseason drives.

If Fitz went down, we can win games with Thigpen.

Excellent Point - If you are correct, it will be sad to see him go. I had high hopes for the kid. I've seen a couple interviews with him & he's got a good head on his shoulders, a great tude, & he really wants to be an NFL QB. He's got a smooth release too. Someone will pick him up.

Maybe, but also keep in mind he went nowhere last yr when we released him. There are tons of guys walking the streets that played great college ball, and I ll bet they all wanted to be NFL qbs too.

He had about 6 mind numbingly horrible throws...one was slightly tipped. The first pick (a pick 6) was a lack of a read on the depth of a drop of the OLB who made the pick. There were three others that were woefully behind the receiver and the interception in the endzone was either a bad route by young Aiken -- or just a total mis-read by Thigpen. There were also about 4 drops that should have been catches but his completion rate even with those 4, is still about 50%. On the plus side, the deep throw to Aiken on 4th down was a great use of legs play by Thigpen and a great adjustment by Aiken.

Its tough to say on a couple of the bad throws if it was a route issue or a read issue. Remember the receivers have some ability to adapt routes to what they read and you have to hope the QB reads the same thing..sometimes in the pistol or modified pistol this happens on the fly. An off throw might be an accurate throw depending on what the QB read. The fact they cut Hubbard in the first round may reflect the couple of drops he had but also a lack of knowledge to pick the right read.

So Thigpen had an off night on Saturday. I was impressed that he shook it off and showed the resolve to bring the team back. Winning when you are not at your best is a great trait because the nights like Fitz had on Saturday (perfect accuracy) are not going to happen every night. I left the game with more respect for Thigpen than I came into it....I think he is a serviceable back up who could win games in a injury situation.

A couple of notes on Thigpen after watching last night.......

- Yes he did have the 2 bad interceptions

- He also had he also should have had multiple touchdowns more in that game......on some decent throws that the receiver has to make.....

I actually am liking Thigpen.....he makes a mistake or two but he also has the potential to put up a lot of points....and he would look a lot better with the starters.

The fact that he can run wildcat type plays is a real plus

'kay, when Thigpen started practice then 1st two games, seems I read a lot of "throws a beautiful spiral" "better arm than Fitz" "more mobile than Fitz" "did better than Fitz".

What I saw on Saturday, I wasn't too impressed. Frankly, I thought Levi Brown looked better.

Now granted, they battled back from a deficit, they tied the game, and it's only a snapshot.

I'm glad we signed him as a backup, but I'm nowhere ready to move the depth chart even if Fitz lays an egg in a game or two.

What's the group wisdom on Thigpen at this point?

The guy is junk. KC knew it, and Miami eventually figured it out. Why would the Bills wanna...-Oh... Never mind.

The guy is junk. KC knew it, and Miami eventually figured it out. Why would the Bills wanna...-Oh... Never mind.

Because Miami is a great example of this team with Gailey as OC and having the once cut Fiedler as the junk they had at QB they still made the playoffs,

As was demonstrated by the OT win last weekend, the fact is that Gailey has demonstrated that his teams can win with junk at QB.

I have to admit, I was pretty happy with the Thigpen signing...but he has looked really bad so far. He hasn't had much time with this team, and has been playing with all 2nd stringers (we know how bad our starting o-line is, let alone the backups), so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The guy really impressed me with a completely awful KC team, I think if we needed him to step up he could. Let's just hope Fitz stays healthy and plays like a #1, so we don't have to worry about it.

There are certain basic things every QB in the NFL has to do, with the key ones being: recognition of defenses combined with making the correct calls; ability to get the ball out fast (and to your own receiver, in a way that allows him to get YAC and NOT get him killed); and, most critically, accuracy. The difference between starters and back-ups seems to come down to one of them being able to do these things better than the other.

From what I've seen of Thigpen so far this pre-season, his recognition is mediocre, his reaction time is slow, and his accuracy is god-awful. If he's the Bills back-up in the regular season, we'd better pray to all the gods there are that Fitz doesn't get hurt because no amount of practice time, no amount of playing time with the first string will make up for his shortcomings in fundamentals. Right now, I'm more worried about the back-up QB position than any other on this team. And that's saying a lot.