Your 53 Man Roster and Practice Squad...

Astrobot

Here is my edited final roster.

I'm only keeping 5 WRs because Smith and Spiller can also be used out wide.

My most notable cut is probably Kelsay.

Keeping 3 TEs for Special Teams play.

I still dont know who that 4th OT will be, but I want to add someone...

Jasper goes to PS, that's my only notable PS member. Whatever other rookies end up there, fine.

P - Moorman

K - Lindell

LS - Whoever

QB - Fitz, Thigpen, Smith

RB - Jackson, Spiller, White

FB - McIntyre

TE - Chandler, Caussin, Martin

WR - Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Easley, Jones

C - Wood, Hangartner

G - Levitre, Rhinehart, Urbik

OT - Bell, Pears, Hairston, +1

DL - Dareus, Williams, Edwards, Johnson, Troup, Heard

OLB - Merriman, Batten, Carrington, Coleman, Moats

ILB - Barnett, Davis, Morrison, Sheppard, White

CB - Florence, McGee, McKelvin, Williams, Corner

FS - Byrd, Corto

SS - Wilson, Searcy, Scott

Edited by DrDareustein

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quarterback (3): Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen, Brad Smith

Running Back (3): Fred Jackson, C.J. Spiller, Johnny White

Fullback (1): Corey McIntyre

Wide Receiver (6): Stevie Johnson, Donald Jones, Roscoe Parrish, David Nelson, Marcus Easley, Rooseveldt

Tight End (2): Scott Chandler, Mike Caussin

Offensive Line (9): Demetrius Bell, Erik Pears, Chris Hairston, Ed Wang, Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Chad Rinehart, Kraig Urbik, Geoff Hangartner

Defensive Line (7): Marcell Dareus, Alex Carrington, Kyle Williams, Torell Troup, Dwan Edwards, Spencer Johnson, Kellen Heard

Linebacker (9): Andra Davis, Kelvin Sheppard, Chris White, Chris Kelsay, Nick Barnett, Arthur Moats, Danny Batten, Shawne Merriman, Kirk Morrison

Cornerback (6): Leodis McKelvin, Drayton Florence, Terrence McGee, Aaron Williams, Reggie Corner, Justin Rogers

Safety (4): Jairus Byrd, George Wilson, Da'Norris Searcy, Bryan Scott

Punter (1): Brian Moorman

Kicker (1): Rian Lindell

Long Snapper (1): Danny Aiken

PS:

Antiono Coleman

Jammie Kirlew

Kamar Aiken

Joshua Nesbitt

Lionel Dotson

Michael Jasper

2x waiverwire OL pickup

I put Jasper on the roster as the inactive project, Jon Corto and Felton Huggins have basicly been the heart of our special teams the last couple of years, one of them could still make the team with Jasper getting cut. Building through the draft also means that they arent going to cut their draft picks, Wang will get another year. Spots I had/have doubts over are Bryan Scott, Michael Jasper, Ed Wang; I think Danny Aiken has Sanborn beat. Rooseveldt will survive the waiverwire (due to his measureables) where as Easley as 107th overall in 2010 draft is too valueable/risky to cut. Justin Rogers makes the roster simply because 9 DBS isnt enough and he's a Nix/Gailey draft pick. 5 WR's since Brad Smith basicly is #6 WR, 2 TE's since we dont use 2 TE sets.

5 WR's even adding BSmith sounds too few for a team using 4 WR sets. How about adding Roosevelt or Aiken and deleting a D-line guy?

Jeah I was struggling with that especially with just 2 TE's... I wanted to keep Jasper on the roster though. More I think about it more I think Jasper will be cut, he's just too raw atm. Waive Jasper and add Rooseveldt. Aiken still goes to PS. Updated quoted roster to reflect change.

Jeah I was struggling with that especially with just 2 TE's... I wanted to keep Jasper on the roster though. More I think about it more I think Jasper will be cut, he's just too raw atm. Waive Jasper and add Rooseveldt. Aiken still goes to PS. Updated quoted roster to reflect change.

I think your list is pretty close.

Just curious: why Justin Rogers instead of Corto? Corto has been very good on special teams and seeing how raw Searcy looks keeping just 3 others seems pretty "thin".

I agree, looking at who we'd have to cut, I can't see Jasper making the team. Also, it's hard to justify Wang making the team. He was was "only" a 5th round pick last year. I'd risk trying to move him to the PS. I know other teams do not have film of him looking good....

I could also really see Eddins making the PS.

While I would LOVE to add both Felton Huggins (who may be sneaked to IR again with his concussion) and Jon Corto I simply believe current ST rules makes it too costly to carry more then a LS, Kicker and Punter. Jon Corto is a converted LB (undersized) without experience at SS. Then keep in mind Nickel, Dime and Prevent packages and you'll need 5 CB's plus 1 on your roster. If you look what the coaching regime did last year then you'll see that they carried 6 CBS and 4 Safeties. Now if they trust Corto enough to be able to handle a SS spot in Dime and Quarter packages then I see them dropping Rogers to the PS and keeping Corto. So basicly it's a toss-up which depends on the coaching philosphy. Personally I'm a firm believer in using CBS to cover WRs and rather compromise by having a CB cover a TE over carrying an extra SS resulting in a SS covering a WR. Another solution could be to have WRs fill that role if such is needed. Rogers being a draft pick of this regime tipped the scales for me into selecting him over Corto.

We traded Lynch for "only" a 5th... Wang has been injured all last year so this really is his rookie year, he's defenitly a project but I dont see them giving up on him yet. Especially if you take the build through the draft philosphy at heart. Then again your assesment that he has looked horrible is pretty much spot-on; he may indeed clear waivers and go to PS in which case I see his spot filled by Howard.

While I would LOVE to add both Felton Huggins (who may be sneaked to IR again with his concussion) and Jon Corto I simply believe current ST rules makes it too costly to carry more then a LS, Kicker and Punter. Jon Corto is a converted LB (undersized) without experience at SS. Then keep in mind Nickel, Dime and Prevent packages and you'll need 5 CB's plus 1 on your roster. If you look what the coaching regime did last year then you'll see that they carried 6 CBS and 4 Safeties. Now if they trust Corto enough to be able to handle a SS spot in Dime and Quarter packages then I see them dropping Rogers to the PS and keeping Corto. So basicly it's a toss-up which depends on the coaching philosphy. Personally I'm a firm believer in using CBS to cover WRs and rather compromise by having a CB cover a TE over carrying an extra SS resulting in a SS covering a WR. Another solution could be to have WRs fill that role if such is needed. Rogers being a draft pick of this regime tipped the scales for me into selecting him over Corto.

We traded Lynch for "only" a 5th... Wang has been injured all last year so this really is his rookie year, he's defenitly a project but I dont see them giving up on him yet. Especially if you take the build through the draft philosphy at heart. Then again your assesment that he has looked horrible is pretty much spot-on; he may indeed clear waivers and go to PS in which case I see his spot filled by Howard.

Thanks for the thought-filled response!

I'd agree with you about Rogers and Corto, except for the depth chart, which lists no one behind Byrd at free safety but Corto (and Joshua Nesbitt) *gulp*. Also, there's a big difference carrying 4 safeties if we had Donte instead of Searcy in terms of quality. We appear to be short one CB if they drop Rogers, and another if like me you think Corner is a liability.

As far as your Huggins comment goes... I like him too, but would you really want to keep him instead of Aiken? I think he's serviceable, but already near his performance ceiling.

Thanks for the thought-filled response!

I'd agree with you about Rogers and Corto, except for the depth chart, which lists no one behind Byrd at free safety but Corto (and Joshua Nesbitt) *gulp*. Also, there's a big difference carrying 4 safeties if we had Donte instead of Searcy in terms of quality. We appear to be short one CB if they drop Rogers, and another if like me you think Corner is a liability.

As far as your Huggins comment goes... I like him too, but would you really want to keep him instead of Aiken? I think he's serviceable, but already near his performance ceiling.

Dont forget Huggins has proven himself as ST player as much if not more then Corto has, granted he was off the radar last year due to being IR-ed. Wilson can also play FS, imo better then at the SS posistion tbh. Aiken will be a victim of the numbers game, I think the coaches have stated that they like Rooseveldt for his ability to catch it all his experience from last year added on top of that wins him the position over Aiken (if there is a posistion to be won).

Bottomline is the list is as good as I can argument it to be but it does contain gambles. I have Danny Aiken beating out Garrison Sanborn for the LS job which is more based on early camp info then actually judging his play myself (plus he is getting the same amount of reps as Sanborn does another indicator that the battle is still very much on). Not having a ST guy on there is another as was pointed out, isnt 9 lbs a bit much (then again with 3-4 and 4-3, rotation, grooming and veteran talent attracted I could not see it be done with less. OL depth is thin, with crazy competition going for LT/LG. Will we indeed just carry 2 TEs, last year we still took 3. I went 6 CBs but does the quality of our secondary really warrant that choice? Saturday will tell it all. I do firmly believe that I have nailed at least 50 out of the 53 though.

Btw: Hairstone taking reps at LT tomorrow is an indication that Wang may indeed be on his way out; if Hairstone proves himself as viable swingtackle then Wang is out with Levitri emergency depth at LT if Hairstone is allready filling out RT due to Pears being out. I wonder if Levitri has lost his starting guard posistion to Rhinehart. A lot the coaches may be doing here atm might be related to being able to solve injuries from within the OL group itself instead having to call in a new PS kid from another team week in and out.

Edited by bladiebla

My 53:

2 Quarterbacks - Cutting Levi Brown Agreed

14 Ryan Fitzpatrick

4 Tyler Thigpen

(Brad Smith is the 3rd QB)

4 Running Backs - Cutting Jehuu Caulcrick FB, Bruce Hall. [/b[b]]#4 would be White, correct?

22 Fred Jackson

28 C. J. Spiller

38 Corey McIntyre FB

8 Wide Receivers - Cutting Buster Davis I'd replace Martin with Aiken...

13 Steve Johnson

19 Donald Jones

86 David Nelson

11 Roscoe Parrish

18 Naaman Roosevelt

16 Brad Smith WR/QB

83 Ruvell Martin

81 Marcus Easley

2 Tight Ends - Surprise Cut of Shawn Nelson, Cutting Mike Caussin Agreed

84 Scott Chandler

80 David Martin

10 Offensive Linemen- Cutting Michael Switzer C, Ed Wang T, Cordaro Howard T, Jason Watkins T Replace Wrotto with Howard

77 Demetrius Bell T

74 Colin Brown T

75 Chris Hairston T

61 Mansfield Wrotto T

79 Erik Pears T

70 Eric Wood C/G

63 Geoff Hangartner C

67 Andy Levitre G

76 Chad Rinehart G

60 Kraig Urbik G

7 Defensive Linemen- Cutting T. J. Langley DE Agreed, sadly Jasper misses the cut, hopefully PS and no one picks him up

92 Alex Carrington DE

99 Marcell Dareus DE

98 Dwan Edwards DE

91 Spencer Johnson DE

95 Kyle Williams NT

72 Kellen Heard NT

96 Torell Troup NT

9 Linebackers- Surprise (!)Cut Chris Kelsey, Cutting Brandon Hicks ILB, Jammie Kirlew OLB/DE, Brad Jefferson ILB Agreed...LOVE IT! Sorry Kelsay, you're a good guy, just not enough of an upside, or talent to keep you around anymore.

50 Nick Barnett ILB

54 Andra Davis ILB

55 Kelvin Sheppard ILB

58 Kirk Morrison ILB

56 Shawne Merriman OLB

57 Danny Batten OLB

52 Arthur Moats OLB/DE

48 Robert Eddins OLB

59 Antonio Coleman OLB

9 Defensive Backs - Cutting Doyle Miller CB, Sidney Glover SS, Reggie Corner CB I don't think Corto makes it...Aaron Williams can play both positions, so I'd like to see them keep Reggie Corner around as an extra DB

31 Jairus Byrd FS

33 Jon Corto FS

43 Bryan Scott SS

25 Da'Norris Searcy SS

37 George Wilson SS

29 Drayton Florence CB

24 Terrence McGee CB

23 Aaron Williams CB

21 Leodis McKelvin CB

3 Special Teams- Cutting Danny Aiken

65 Garrison Sanborn LS

9 Rian Lindell K

8 Brian Moorman P

8 Practice Squad

47 Joshua Nesbitt FS/QB/RB

87 Zach Pianalto

88 Kamar Aiken WR

15 Felton Huggins WR

69 Michael Jasper NT

97 Lionel Dotson DE

94 Chris White ILB

35 Johnny White RB Nope, he'll make the squad...replace with Elzy, who will get picked up elsewhere and eventually become a very good NFL back

Edited by Armchair GM

After looking at last year's roster, I'm changing mine a little:

Quarterback (3): Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen, Brad Smith

Running Back (3): Fred Jackson, C.J. Spiller, Johnny White

Fullback (1): Corey McIntyre

Wide Receiver (6): Stevie Johnson, Donald Jones, Marcus Easley, David Nelson, Roscoe Parrish, Naaman Roosevelt

Tight End (2): Scott Chandler, Mike Caussin

Offensive Tackle (4): Demetrius Bell, Erik Pears, Chris Hairston, Ed Wang

Offensive Guard/Center (5): Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Chad Rinehart, Kraig Urbik, Geoff Hangartner

Defensive End (4): Marcell Dareus, Dwan Edwards, Alex Carrington, Spencer Johnson

Defensive Tackle (3): Kyle Williams, Torell Troup, Michael Jasper

Outside Linebacker (5): Chris Kelsay, Shawne Merriman, Danny Batten, Antonio Coleman, Arthur Moats

Inside Linebacker (5): Nick Barnett, Kirk Morrison, Andra Davis, Kelvin Sheppard, Chris White

Cornerback (5): Leodis McKelvin, Drayton Florence, Terrence McGee, Aaron Williams, Reggie Corner

Safety (4): Jairus Byrd, George Wilson, Da'Norris Searcy, Jon Corto

Punter (1): Brian Moorman

Kicker (1): Rian Lindell

Long Snapper (1): Garrison Sanborn

PS: Aiken, Pianalto, Forrest, Elzy, Heard (or Jasper if Heard makes the roster), Rogers, Eddins, Nesbitt

Compared to last year's opening day roster, mine has 1 more WR at the expense of 1 fewer safety, and 1 more DT/NT at the expense of 1 fewer DE.

Edited by Doc

QB: Fitz, Thigpen, Smith

RB: Jackson, Spiller, White

FB: McIntyre

WR: Johnson, Jones, Easley, Nelson, Parrish, Roosevelt (and Smith)

TE: Chandler, Martin, Nelson (one of the last ones I added, but having 3 TE's isn't unheard of, and Nelson's upside is still off the charts)

OT: Bell, Hairston, Pears, Howard (can play guard in a pinch)

OG: Levitre, Rinehart, Urbik

C: Wood, Hangartner

DE: Dareus, Johnson, Edwards

DT: Williams, Troup, Heard (haven't seen Jasper make any plays to warrant him making the team this season)

OLB: Batten, Moats, Merriman, Carrington, Kelsay

ILB: Barnett, Morrison, Sheppard, Davis

CB: McKelvin, McGee, Florence, Williams, Corner (although I'm not a fan of Corner, as a 5th corner I suppose he'll suffice)

S: Byrd, Wilson, Searcy, Scott, Corto (ST)

K: Lindell

P: Moorman

LS: Sanborn

Did I miss anybody?

They traded Lynch for a 4th and a 2012 conditional pick

*oopsy* my bad. Kinda makes you think though... we got more in return for Lynch then for Evans.... o.0

Why doesn't anybody have eddins on their list?

? Armchair GM has him on his list? Main reason is because we have so many lbs plus a lot of draft spots invested.

Edited by bladiebla

QB (3): Fitz, Thigpen, Smith

RB (3): Jackson, Spiller, White

FB (1): McIntyre

WR (6): Johnson, Jones, Easley, Nelson, Parrish, Aiken

OL (9): Bell, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Pears, Rhinehart, Hairston, Howard, Hangartner

TE (2): Chandler, Martin

DL (7): Dareus, Williams, Edwards, Carrington, Troup, Johnson, Heard

LB (9): Merriman, Barnett, Eddins, Davis, Moats, Morrison, Batten, Coleman, Sheppard

DB (10): McGee, McKelvin, Florence, Williams, Corner, Wilson, Scott, Searcy, Byrd

P (1): Moorman

K (1): Lindell

LS (1): Sanborn

A few posts have us only keeping 4 CBs??? Thats doubtful, if anything 6 is much more of a possibility.

QB (3): Fitz, Thigpen, Smith

RB (3): Jackson, Spiller, White

FB (1): McIntyre

WR (6): Johnson, Jones, Easley, Nelson, Parrish, Aiken

OL (9): Bell, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Pears, Rhinehart, Hairston, Howard, Hangartner

TE (2): Chandler, Martin

DL (7): Dareus, Williams, Edwards, Carrington, Troup, Johnson, Heard

LB (9): Merriman, Barnett, Eddins, Davis, Moats, Morrison, Batten, Coleman, Sheppard

DB (10): McGee, McKelvin, Florence, Williams, Corner, Wilson, Scott, Searcy, Byrd

P (1): Moorman

K (1): Lindell

LS (1): Sanborn

A few posts have us only keeping 4 CBs??? Thats doubtful, if anything 6 is much more of a possibility.

Like a couple of other posters, you only list 9 DBs, but have it labeled 10. Add Corto?

THE BMOREBILLS FIFTY THREE:

2 Quarterbacks.

14 Ryan Fitzpatrick

4 Tyler Thigpen

4 Running Backs.

22 Fred Jackson

28 C. J. Spiller

38 Corey McIntyre FB

7 Wide Receivers. (Ruvell Martin and Naaman Roosevelt won't make it)

85 Buster Davis

13 Steve Johnson

19 Donald Jones

86 David Nelson

11 Roscoe Parrish

16 Brad Smith WR/QB

81 Marcus Easley

3 Tight Ends. (I can't see them getting rid of any of our TEs other than Nelson)

82 Mike Caussin

84 Scott Chandler

80 David Martin

10 Offensive Linemen.

77 Demetrius Bell T

74 Colin Brown T

75 Chris Hairston T

61 Mansfield Wrotto T

79 Erik Pears T

70 Eric Wood C/G

63 Geoff Hangartner C

67 Andy Levitre G

76 Chad Rinehart G

60 Kraig Urbik G

7 Defensive Linemen.

92 Alex Carrington DE

99 Marcell Dareus DE

98 Dwan Edwards DE

91 Spencer Johnson DE

95 Kyle Williams NT

72 Kellen Heard NT

96 Torell Troup NT

9 Linebackers.

50 Nick Barnett ILB

54 Andra Davis ILB

90 Chris Kelsay OLB

55 Kelvin Sheppard ILB

58 Kirk Morrison ILB

56 Shawne Merriman OLB

57 Danny Batten OLB

52 Arthur Moats OLB/DE

59 Antonio Coleman OLB

9 Defensive Backs.

31 Jairus Byrd FS

33 Jon Corto FS

43 Bryan Scott SS

37 George Wilson SS

27 Reggie Corner CB

29 Drayton Florence CB

24 Terrence McGee CB

23 Aaron Williams CB

21 Leodis McKelvin CB

3 Special Teams.

65 Garrison Sanborn LS

9 Rian Lindell K

8 Brian Moorman P

8 Practice Squad

87 Zach Pianalto

88 Kamar Aiken WR

25 Da'Norris Searcy SS

69 Michael Jasper NT

48 Robert Eddins OLB

94 Chris White ILB

35 Johnny White RB

THE BMOREBILLS FIFTY THREE:

2 Quarterbacks.

14 Ryan Fitzpatrick

4 Tyler Thigpen

4 Running Backs.

22 Fred Jackson

28 C. J. Spiller

38 Corey McIntyre FB

7 Wide Receivers. (Ruvell Martin and Naaman Roosevelt won't make it)

85 Buster Davis

13 Steve Johnson

19 Donald Jones

86 David Nelson

11 Roscoe Parrish

16 Brad Smith WR/QB

81 Marcus Easley

3 Tight Ends. (I can't see them getting rid of any of our TEs other than Nelson)

82 Mike Caussin

84 Scott Chandler

80 David Martin

10 Offensive Linemen.

77 Demetrius Bell T

74 Colin Brown T

75 Chris Hairston T

61 Mansfield Wrotto T

79 Erik Pears T

70 Eric Wood C/G

63 Geoff Hangartner C

67 Andy Levitre G

76 Chad Rinehart G

60 Kraig Urbik G

7 Defensive Linemen.

92 Alex Carrington DE

99 Marcell Dareus DE

98 Dwan Edwards DE

91 Spencer Johnson DE

95 Kyle Williams NT

72 Kellen Heard NT

96 Torell Troup NT

9 Linebackers.

50 Nick Barnett ILB

54 Andra Davis ILB

90 Chris Kelsay OLB

55 Kelvin Sheppard ILB

58 Kirk Morrison ILB

56 Shawne Merriman OLB

57 Danny Batten OLB

52 Arthur Moats OLB/DE

59 Antonio Coleman OLB

9 Defensive Backs.

31 Jairus Byrd FS

33 Jon Corto FS

43 Bryan Scott SS

37 George Wilson SS

27 Reggie Corner CB

29 Drayton Florence CB

24 Terrence McGee CB

23 Aaron Williams CB

21 Leodis McKelvin CB

3 Special Teams.

65 Garrison Sanborn LS

9 Rian Lindell K

8 Brian Moorman P

8 Practice Squad

87 Zach Pianalto

88 Kamar Aiken WR

25 Da'Norris Searcy SS

69 Michael Jasper NT

48 Robert Eddins OLB

94 Chris White ILB

35 Johnny White RB

Wow, so you think the Bills are going to cut 5 of their last 6 draft picks from this year?