Am I the only one who thinks Fred Jackson is being a huge baby?

I think he is being a baby and selfish and not showing any class or leadership. It seems my opinion is in the minority here, and I understand the arguements, I just generally do not like it when players spout off like this and put themselves before the team. It is highly counterproductive, even if he has reason to feel slighted. Very disappointing from Fred Jackson IMO - I thought better of him frankly.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand both sides of this argument. On the one hand, Freddie needs to be a mature professional. Most teams use a platoon system and he can't expect to be on the field all the time.

On the other hand, Freddie suffered in Lynch's shadow for a while and was now hearing rumors he was going to be benched in favor of Spiller who has done nothing to earn the starting role. The rumors seemed to be validated when Spiller started last week. After what he's been through, Freddie became concerned.

Personally, I think Freddie was wrong for going public with this stuff before talking to the coaching staff and resolving his worries and doubts privately. But Freddie has been an outstanding competitor and teammate since joining the Bills. IMHO, we all make mistakes and he's allowed this one.

And even though he's 30 and perhaps beginning his decline, I would love to see him rewarded with a better contract. His pay has been less than his level of contribution. And it's not like we're in dire need of cap space at the moment. Ralph and Buddy ought to demonstrate to the players that they take care of people - like Freddie - who take care of the team.

I don't believe for a second that he wasn't baited by WGR to create a story.

I'd agree he's underpaid. But that doesn't seem to be his gripe. He is not Thurman Thomas and CJ Spiller is not Kenneth Davis (yes I know, Kenneth Davis was sweet, bad example). But Jerry Sullivan- THE BILLS DID NOT REACH FOR SPILLER AT 9! He was considered the best player in the draft by both Gruden and Herm Edwards and I'm sure many others. Why do people act like the notion of trying to get carries for a guy taken 9th overall is an antiquated one? That's what they should be doing! If Jackson thoroughly outplays Spiller again this year, then he'll get the carries and will have nothing to worry about. This is the organization that made you- a guy playing in NFL Europe or the Arena League or whatever it was- a millionaire. Show some respect.

Best player in that draft????? I dont think there was one person in the entire world that believed that except maybe his mother. Why do you make things up?

Plus, this isn't like a Jason Peters deal where they upped him last year and he's got 2-3 more years on his contract.

Jackson signed the 4-yr extension 2 years ago, and has 2 seasons remaining on that extension.

To the OP, no, you're not the only one who thinks that Jackson is being a baby.

I think this is all being blown out of proportion. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I saw it play out...

Fred responded to an article by Tim Graham that said the #1 RB job was Spiller's to lose (where Graham got that info is beyond me or seemingly anyone at OBD). Fred's response wasn't tirade-laden or anything, just saying that he's disappointed and thought he should be the #1 guy based on his recent production.

Gailey gets blindsided by this info at a press conference and basically says that both backs need to produce in order for the Bills to win, yet all but said that Fred is the #1 guy.

Gailey then talks to Fred, assures him he's he #1 back, but reiterates that both he and Spiller need to play well for the team to win. That is, Fred needs to continue producing and Spiller needs to start producing.

End of what-we-thought-was-a-controversy-but-never-really-was.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Im with you Metz, and Chris Krueger. I also agree with Mike in 'Cuse.

Almost every NFL team has a couple/few RBs. Freddie will get his touches no matter what. If all of this is just because he feels disrespected for not being handed the "#1 RB" title, then he can stop cashing his checks for the $2mil he is set to earn this year and go back to whatever he was doing before the Bills pulled him from obscurity.

He should've gone to Gailey first, not WGR.

The NFL is a man's league. If he cant handle a little preseason roster shuffling, then he needs to go back to whatever crap league he was playing in prior to the Bills making him a millionaire.

Suck it up, do your job.

Fred has already proven what he can do as the number one back. they have to see what they have in Spiller and the preseason seems to be the logical time to find that out. as far as i know that can only be done by giving him more touches in the PRESEASON (without the benefit of OTAs and extended training camp to boot). unless there is more to this than is being revealed; i don't understand Fred's complaining especially at this time (it's not about the money). where did he get the impression he would not be the number one when the season starts for real? i don't want to loose any respect for him.

Edited by Stampede

Best player in that draft????? I dont think there was one person in the entire world that believed that except maybe his mother. Why do you make things up?

Listen you complete and utter bozo, you clearly didn't watch the draft. Once again, both Jon Gruden and Herm Edwards both very clearly stated, in plain English, that they felt CJ Spiller was the best football player in the 2010 draft during the very extensive coverage of the 2010 draft, right after he was selected by your Buffalo Bills. Do you have any idea how sick he was in college? Yes he hasn't quite adjusted to the pro level yet, but give him some time.

Got to chime in on this one because I think we are missing the boat. The problem isn't that Spiller started a pre-season game - the problem is that Gailey is not communicating with his players. Jackson has earned the right to be informed when the head coach makes a change that affects his position....the key phrase here is "Earned." Levitre has also earned that right...these guys are not undrafted free agents trying to make the team - they spilled sweat and blood on the field in the name of the Buffalo Bills. If Gailey wants to make a change or conduct an experiment, that's fine - he is the head coach and has that right. BUT....demonstrate a little commmon courtsy and atleast approach an inform the affected players especially if they are ones like Jackson and Levitre who have given their all. This is not about guys thinking they don't have to earn their jobs....I doubt that either Jackson or Levitre believe that. This is about respecting players and acknowledging what they have done and sacrificed for the team. I absolutely support Jackson.

this has all been blown out of proportion by the media (like most things today)

it is also Fred planting the seeds for a new/reworked deal, he had said that this whole thing is "a little about the money"

He isn't happen with his current deal and the rumors about CJ being given the "starting job", add in probable frustration over the team letting a veteran like Evans leave and at his age, seeing the writing on the wall that the team wants to get much younger, he made some public comments that made him look like he was whining.

Of course with Fred being a sacred player around these parts, slightly ahead of Fitz, as guys who should just be handed their jobs for the amazing work they have done for a 4-12 team, no competition should be made for their position because it may make them upset.

Listen you complete and utter bozo, you clearly didn't watch the draft. Once again, both Jon Gruden and Herm Edwards both very clearly stated, in plain English, that they felt CJ Spiller was the best football player in the 2010 draft during the very extensive coverage of the 2010 draft, right after he was selected by your Buffalo Bills. Do you have any idea how sick he was in college? Yes he hasn't quite adjusted to the pro level yet, but give him some time.

Hhahaha well i am sure they regret ever saying that. Also I did watch the draft I dont remember hearing Gruden say that however herm was asked after the pick and said it more in a if we look back in a few years and he blows up. Suh was and still is easily the best player in that draft.

Got to chime in on this one because I think we are missing the boat. The problem isn't that Spiller started a pre-season game - the problem is that Gailey is not communicating with his players. Jackson has earned the right to be informed when the head coach makes a change that affects his position....the key phrase here is "Earned." Levitre has also earned that right...these guys are not undrafted free agents trying to make the team - they spilled sweat and blood on the field in the name of the Buffalo Bills. If Gailey wants to make a change or conduct an experiment, that's fine - he is the head coach and has that right. BUT....demonstrate a little commmon courtsy and atleast approach an inform the affected players especially if they are ones like Jackson and Levitre who have given their all. This is not about guys thinking they don't have to earn their jobs....I doubt that either Jackson or Levitre believe that. This is about respecting players and acknowledging what they have done and sacrificed for the team. I absolutely support Jackson.

Good post. I think you hit the nail on the head

The coach is the guy running the show, and if they want to make changes, they can make changes, they don't have to go over and make sure its ok with last years starter so they don't get their feeling hurt. So far it seems to be the fans and media making more out of this then the players. levitre didn't seem all that distraught over it, it was the media and fans declaring he had been demoted to 2nd string. it was also the media saying that Spiller was now the #1 because he was given "the start" in Saturdays pre-season game.

The coach is the guy running the show, and if they want to make changes, they can make changes, they don't have to go over and make sure its ok with last years starter so they don't get their feeling hurt. So far it seems to be the fans and media making more out of this then the players. levitre didn't seem all that distraught over it, it was the media and fans declaring he had been demoted to 2nd string. it was also the media saying that Spiller was now the #1 because he was given "the start" in Saturdays pre-season game.

Yes.

guess i was wrong, it seems that money is a factor and along with the Tim Graham tweet maybe that's why he is speaking up at this time. but still how are they supposed to evaluate Spiller?

They don't have to evaluate him, he is just supposed to show up and be a superstar, but not be better then Fred cause he might get his feelings hurt and lose his "starting job"

I am going to go out on the shop floor right now and move some people to different departments and change the foremen around because I can. I don't have to explain how or why to anyone. I wonder how this will go over.

do you oversee any workers who, while doing a pretty good job, are viewed as being better at their jobs than they really are?