Pat Summitt diagnosed with early onset dementia

Beerball

I can't even imagine having to hear that diagnosis. I give a lot of credit to her for handling this the way she has. She has always been a class act.

I've seen what Alzheimer's Disease can do and its truly a terrible thing. My prayers go out to her and her loved ones.

Wow....starting down the alzheimer's road at 59. WTF. Good luck to her.

Didn't know about Dean Smith either, but 80 is a different story.

My dad was in his late 50's and diagnosed with early onset dementia. Not fun. He had a fairly rapid decline before a stroke ended his life about 10 yrs later. He was by all accounts healthy prior to his diagnosis and not an abuser of any type.

I was very saddened to see this given her 'intellect' for the game and the success she has had. your age point is well taken. It is more tolerable for an 80 yr old given the relative life expectency. In addition, the early onset cases tend to be more aggressive. Hope that the meds will help though they generally have limited, stabilizing effect that wanes after few years. Hopefully, she will be an exception. Prayers for her/family.

I'm a UCONN fan but I have to give it up to Pat Summit - she's truly amazing. She defined women's sports - without her women's athletics could still be just some sort of extracurricular activity that gives the fairer sex some phsical exercise. You may not watch women's hoops or be a fan, but you have to admit it's a real sport with real athletes who practice and play with the same seriouness and focus as their male counterparts. Anyone with daughters in athletics owes a debt or gratitude to Pat Summit.