Ouch

Thirdborn

Making a great show of discussing how bad the previous regime's high draft pick was creates an excuse for Gailey and Nix to present a losing team in 2011 -- "What did you expect, when the guys who came before us blew the team's 2009 first-round pick?" Since arriving a year ago, Nix has waived, traded or let go four recent first-round draft choices (Maybin, Evans, Marshawn Lynch and Donte Whitner), cutting costs while shifting blame backward to the previous coach and general manager.

Ouch, indeed.

Very confusing article...and thread. Cutting Langston Walker only for the bottom line? Why sign him to that huge contract then? Same goes for the rest of the rationale. Why is NOT trading Palmer a bad thing but trading Evans is also a bad thing?

I have no doubt Ralph tries to save money and will pick profit over winnning if he has to pick one, but this article is a little overboard.

BTW, isn't all the "nothing will change until Ralph's gone" screaming and yelling (CT) all pointless now? This changes in 2013....period. We finally have a date to look forward to. Sure it sucks that we have to wait until it's league mandated, but that's the hand we're dealt. You can either root for another team for a couple years or just suck it up until then.

Making a great show of discussing how bad the previous regime's high draft pick was creates an excuse for Gailey and Nix to present a losing team in 2011 -- "What did you expect, when the guys who came before us blew the team's 2009 first-round pick?" Since arriving a year ago, Nix has waived, traded or let go four recent first-round draft choices (Maybin, Evans, Marshawn Lynch and Donte Whitner), cutting costs while shifting blame backward to the previous coach and general manager.

I thought parts of that article were pretty good, like drawing attention to the difference in profits between winning and losing (as loose as the argument was), but wow...what a load of crap that paragraph is.

Edited by Faustus

Jettisoning Trent Edwards and Langston Walker did not, in any way, shape, or form, provide a convenient excuse for a losing season.

The article was making a lot of sense up until that point!

I don't really think he meant it was the reason for a losing season but the front office was setting itself up to make excuses for a losing season. But that's just how I read it.

Very confusing article...and thread. Cutting Langston Walker only for the bottom line? Why sign him to that huge contract then? Same goes for the rest of the rationale. Why is NOT trading Palmer a bad thing but trading Evans is also a bad thing?

I have no doubt Ralph tries to save money and will pick profit over winnning if he has to pick one, but this article is a little overboard.

BTW, isn't all the "nothing will change until Ralph's gone" screaming and yelling (CT) all pointless now? This changes in 2013....period. We finally have a date to look forward to. Sure it sucks that we have to wait until it's league mandated, but that's the hand we're dealt. You can either root for another team for a couple years or just suck it up until then.

Well Ralph could be gone before 2013. We just don't know if the new owner will give a damn enough to increase the teams salary in a positive way.

UGH! now wonder Scrooge McWilson wont get any or keep any high level players. With our cap space we could have out bid the Cowboys and Falcons for the OTs but that wouldnt be profitable. Now we now why Peters was traded along with Evans, Lynch and others. You could say it all started when we were to cheap to keep Wolford and Ballard and we haven't had a good line since

Pegula for Owner!

Hate to say it but this is a VERY plausible explanation for the questionable moves that we see every few months or so. Some will never see behind the veil or stop swallowing the BS but I think this guy has proposed a very realistic and very likely scenario. In a way I can't blame a business owner for trying to make the business as profitable as they can. It's a damn shame that it causes fans that buy into the false desire of the front office to be competitive so much heartache.

I can't wait until the salary floor FORCES cheap ass teams to actually spend on talent. The only worry is that Buffalo would continue the trend of overpaying mediocre talent instead of adequately paying elite talent. Well that and Ralph might realize he can't milk the western NY populace anymore and moves and or sells the team.

Unfortunately I don't think our team is going to truly be competitive until somewhere between 2013 and 2016 when we are forced to end the accounting tricks and spend real money. No more taking contract bonus money and applying it to the same fiscal year the contract was signed. We will be forced to amortize the bonus over the length of the contract like teams that are trying to win do. We will be forced to spend REAL money every year no more accounting tricks.

Edited by PDaDdy

... No more taking contract bonus money and applying it to the same fiscal year the contract was signed. We will be forced to amortize the bonus over the length of the contract like teams that are trying to win do. We will be forced to spend REAL money every year no more accounting tricks.

You mean like the Packers and Steelers who've been doing cash-to-cap accounting as well?

GO BILLS!!!

Hate to say it but this is a VERY plausible explanation for the questionable moves that we see every few months or so. Some will never see behind the veil or stop swallowing the BS but I think this guy has proposed a very realistic and very likely scenario. In a way I can't blame a business owner for trying to make the business as profitable as they can. It's a damn shame that it causes fans that buy into the false desire of the front office to be competitive so much heartache.

I can't wait until the salary floor FORCES cheap ass teams to actually spend on talent. The only worry is that Buffalo would continue the trend of overpaying mediocre talent instead of adequately paying elite talent. Well that and Ralph might realize he can't milk the western NY populace anymore and moves and or sells the team.

Unfortunately I don't think our team is going to truly be competitive until somewhere between 2013 and 2016 when we are forced to end the accounting tricks and spend real money. No more taking contract bonus money and applying it to the same fiscal year the contract was signed. We will be forced to amortize the bonus over the length of the contract like teams that are trying to win do. We will be forced to spend REAL money every year no more accounting tricks.

Im trying to find some specifics, and you might want to look into it too, but as I understand it the Salary Floor is on a cash-to-cap basis which we are already doing.

Just dont want you to get your hopes up for nothing...

When I hear people defend not resigning Poz because he wanted too much money forgot how much cap space we have. And we had money but INTENTIONALLY decided to not address our OL despite serviceable free agents. Are we all to act surprised when Fitzpatrick is injured week 3?