just a base

HARCO186

If we looked at the game against Denver, Buffalo did not play that bad. Chan Gailey said himself, they just used a base front on both sides of the ball. That being said, the Bills looked much improved. Denver played stunts and also mixed up their defense while Buffalo just stuck to their base and never tried anything too fancy or didn't even stunt the whole game. This gives me hope that Chan and company took everyone at their basic formation and said let's see what you have. I like this approach because Buffalo is still rebuilding and they will have another year or two before they get better. I like the fact that the Bills stopped the run, and we are able to run the ball a little better. Spiller needs to step up his protection to Fitz, but Jackson just flattened Miller on a play that gave me a rise. Our line will be fine because Chan seen how they were beaten badly in a base without stunts they will be beaten many times over. This being said, I expect this year to have many slant passes with screens and 3 step drops. This is a good thing because Buffalo will eat the clock up with long drives and will be a bit boring at times but my guess productive. We will not be the pats and down field pass at will type stuff, but short gains and quick 5-6 yard plays. If we really watched, the first drive they ate that clock up and I think it was view of what is coming. I'm happy with that especailly if our defense can stay off the field and when their on it, stop the run. Go ahead and bash, but I think Chan did a great job to evaluate this team and not try stunts like Denver did. Great job Chan. Now prove me right and win at least 8 for us buddy.

If we looked at the game against Denver, Buffalo did not play that bad. Chan Gailey said himself, they just used a base front on both sides of the ball. That being said, the Bills looked much improved. Denver played stunts and also mixed up their defense while Buffalo just stuck to their base and never tried anything too fancy or didn't even stunt the whole game. This gives me hope that Chan and company took everyone at their basic formation and said let's see what you have. I like this approach because Buffalo is still rebuilding and they will have another year or two before they get better. I like the fact that the Bills stopped the run, and we are able to run the ball a little better. Spiller needs to step up his protection to Fitz, but Jackson just flattened Miller on a play that gave me a rise. Our line will be fine because Chan seen how they were beaten badly in a base without stunts they will be beaten many times over. This being said, I expect this year to have many slant passes with screens and 3 step drops. This is a good thing because Buffalo will eat the clock up with long drives and will be a bit boring at times but my guess productive. We will not be the pats and down field pass at will type stuff, but short gains and quick 5-6 yard plays. If we really watched, the first drive they ate that clock up and I think it was view of what is coming. I'm happy with that especailly if our defense can stay off the field and when their on it, stop the run. Go ahead and bash, but I think Chan did a great job to evaluate this team and not try stunts like Denver did. Great job Chan. Now prove me right and win at least 8 for us buddy.

I am inclined to agree...I can't find the article, so no link, but Chan and Buddy have said that they will play their base on both sides of the ball in Pre Season so as to evaluate their players'physical ability to actually play in this league. Seems to be a logical process in rebuilding a team to me.

I am inclined to agree...I can't find the article, so no link, but Chan and Buddy have said that they will play their base on both sides of the ball in Pre Season so as to evaluate their players'physical ability to actually play in this league. Seems to be a logical process in rebuilding a team to me.

So, playing your 'base' means that your offensive tackles ignore someone on their outside shoulder and block down letting a rusher have a free shot at the QB? Or, does 'base' mean that I shouldn't be concerned that those rushers (blitzes!?) were easily able to turn the corner?

You can use that excuse for the poor play by the secondary (Bills didn't blitz, didn't stunt etc.), but not the offensive line.

So, playing your 'base' means that your offensive tackles ignore someone on their outside shoulder and block down letting a rusher have a free shot at the QB? Or, does 'base' mean that I shouldn't be concerned that those rushers (blitzes!?) were easily able to turn the corner?

You can use that excuse for the poor play by the secondary (Bills didn't blitz, didn't stunt etc.), but not the offensive line.

BB is 100% accurate & no matter how little or much planning went into it, it's scary too see. Basic things needed happen & didn't, especially on the O-line.

1 step further. They played a base style, and still could not execute correctly. The O and D both played bad. If they cant handle a 'base' style, what do we do when we institute a more complex offense?

Preseason or not,the Bills 1's got outplayed by the Broncos 1's, on both sides of the ball. The starting O could only muster 3 points in a half of football. That is not good no matter how you look at it.

BB is 100% accurate & no matter how little or much planning went into it, it's scary too see. Basic things needed happen & didn't, especially on the O-line.

"Basic" play on O line.

Running play - Maul the defender in front of you.

Passing Play - Exhibit good individual technique and block the guy in front of you.

We didn't see a whole lot of that this weekend. I 'know' football is a complicated game and no player is on an island......Heck, we all know that "it's hard to win in the NFL." Regardless, we lost a lot of theoretical one on one battles Saturday. I would love to be confident in the theory that we are 'sandbagging' and that we'll shock KC on opening day. I'm just not so sure... :unsure:

I don't really agree with Chan's approach right now. If we were a consistent playoff team, I would agree. If we had actually managed to score a touchdown with our first team offense I might feel better about this approach.

Are we going to play a strict base offense during the regular season? Wouldn't you want to try and evaluate how well your team would execute complex plays in the regular season rather than sticking to base formations?

I realize you don't want to show too much in preseason, but you also want to put in enough to build confidence heading in to the regular season. Especially with this team.

Hopefully these guys have a strong next game.

I don't really agree with Chan's approach right now. If we were a consistent playoff team, I would agree. If we had actually managed to score a touchdown with our first team offense I might feel better about this approach.

Are we going to play a strict base offense during the regular season? Wouldn't you want to try and evaluate how well your team would execute complex plays in the regular season rather than sticking to base formations?

I realize you don't want to show too much in preseason, but you also want to put in enough to build confidence heading in to the regular season. Especially with this team.

Hopefully these guys have a strong next game.

Our next game has to get better because we couldn't of gotten much worse Saturday.

Edited by Scrappy

BB- I'm not saying they played great, and yes they made mistakes. This is what the preseason is about. You can't fix a problem or find a weakness if you can't identify it. I really agree that the offensive line was horrible and that Fitz looked like Schmitt. I did like the fact that in a base if you watched Miller for Denver he was placed around the field. This being said Fox and company used stunts and packages. If the Bills hardly used any stunts to pick things up and stayed in a base formation; it shows what they did by themselves as individuals. Bell looks very weak and even Wood looked like he got whipped a few times. Very bad play and I expect nothing but improvements on the coaching staff to see our weakness and come up with a better blocking scheme to assist with our tackles. I seen Chandler miss a few times as well and that to be fixed. I really think the last 2 preseason games will be more of a tweaking our plays and execution of the plays other than base fronts. That means we score more points or better score more points.

An article about running base O and D: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article529735.ece

"Gailey said his coaches intentionally used base schemes, almost no blitzes on defense, no extra help for pass blockers to account for the strengths of the Denver personnel."

I haven't watched the tape yet, so no comments from me, just wanted everyone to have the article to reference...

No what base OL means is if OT's cant control a speed rusher on his own then during the regular season he will get help from either the RB or TE, no one is making excuses just relaying exactly what chan the man said......

I can't disagree with that. I don't understand how you could line up on the outside with a guy outside your right shoulder and just completely ignore him. It's times like that I wish Fitz would grab someone by the facemask and scream "WTF block someone"!

No what base OL means is if OT's cant control a speed rusher on his own then during the regular season he will get help from either the RB or TE, no one is making excuses just relaying exactly what chan the man said......

So, Chan doesn't care whether his QB gets killed?

So, Chan doesn't want his offense to get into any kind of rythm?

So, Chan doesn't want his offense to see some success in preseason?

Not ranting at you Nish...but, damn, that's some faulty logic on Chan's part.

Have I mentioned how much I applaud Spiller starting over Jackson? What Bill has shown more heart (and ability) than Jackson over the past 3-4 years? Yet it is Spiller's job to lose?

I think it would be a huge smack in the face if spiller starts opening day over jackson, i mean i understand playing your guys that you draft but damn lol thought you had to win jobs in the NFL......

Honestly i really do think that chan did the right thing yeah it was at the expense of fitz maybe getting layed out but you gotta see if these guys can hold their own... i really believe that bell just had a bad day, he's alot better then that. and if u watch that game closely denver brought everything kitchen sink and all... they really wanted to win that preseason game not evaluate talent.... just my 2 cents!

So, Chan doesn't care whether his QB gets killed?

So, Chan doesn't want his offense to get into any kind of rythm?

So, Chan doesn't want his offense to see some success in preseason?

Not ranting at you Nish...but, damn, that's some faulty logic on Chan's part.

Have I mentioned how much I applaud Spiller starting over Jackson? What Bill has shown more heart (and ability) than Jackson over the past 3-4 years? Yet it is Spiller's job to lose?

I think it would be a huge smack in the face if spiller starts opening day over jackson, i mean i understand playing your guys that you draft but damn lol thought you had to win jobs in the NFL......

Honestly i really do think that chan did the right thing yeah it was at the expense of fitz maybe getting layed out but you gotta see if these guys can hold their own... i really believe that bell just had a bad day, he's alot better then that. and if u watch that game closely denver brought everything kitchen sink and all... they really wanted to win that preseason game not evaluate talent.... just my 2 cents!

I don't think Spiller will be considered a starter over Jackson or Jackson over Spiller. It will depend on the scheme that Chan puts in will determine who starts. Plus it will go down to how many touches they get over who does what first. They both will get their share so who starts doesn't get me.

Also we have 2 preseason games left. I think Chan will start to mix it up and we should start to see the offense put up points this week on out. Statiscally speaking the more teams win in the preseason the deeper they go in the playoffs. I feel a shift is in the works wth this because some teams hardly play their starters like Indy and such. If Buffalo doesn't put up points in the next game then I might get worried a little. I fight this over with my brother( a bigger fan than me) but he makes a good point of not getting worried in the preseason but won't speak after a loss for a few days. (Proof he's from Buffalo) but I really think Chan is making sure what his weaknesses are and will be fine tuning them the next two games for the opening season. I am hoping for this, but with that being said feel the Bills are no contenders YET! I still think a couple years out but are build a very strong front to make us very good in a couple years. I stand by a 8-8 season.

I can't disagree with that. I don't understand how you could line up on the outside with a guy outside your right shoulder and just completely ignore him. It's times like that I wish Fitz would grab someone by the facemask and scream "WTF block someone"!

Bell had his hands full. Von Miller was speed rushing to the outside and Dumervil was stunting to the inside. He slipped and fell flat twice trying to redirect his body because he was caught moving in the wrong direction. Plus he got no help chip blocking.

That said, he definitely has to improve. I'm not however ready to throw him under the bus. Everyone wants results right now. Gailey is just doing his job and what we want doesn't mean jack to him. I wonder what will happen next week to get the chicken littles crying.

I have no problem with not game planning for Denver. I have a real problem with not trying to stretch the field more! Denver was playing press coverage which you don't run slants and quick passes on. Even McKelvin could cover a WR for under 3 seconds. Denver was all over our WRs because they didn't worry about any deep passes.

Also we have not shown that we can play mistake free football, so trying to eat up the clock with short stuff is going to lead to FGs not TDs.

The quick passing game may have been the plan because the o-line was a running base blocking package, but I hope we see more than the reincarnation of Kelly Holcomb in the next game.