Fake Punt Last Night....

Amstel

While I'm glad that we were able to keep a drive going with the fake punt last night part of me can't help thinking wouldnt we have been better served saving that play for a game during the regular season during a crucial crossroads in the game?

I'm not saying it wont work again and any good team we play will always be aware of the possibility of a fake regardless of whether we ran that play or not. However the total surprise of it and the design of the play might've been better off saved until it really counts.....

While I'm glad that we were able to keep a drive going with the fake punt last night part of me can't help thinking wouldnt we have been better served saving that play for a game during the regular season during a crucial crossroads in the game?

I'm not saying it wont work again and any good team we play will always be aware of the possibility of a fake regardless of whether we ran that play or not. However the total surprise of it and the design of the play might've been better off saved until it really counts.....

Like they'd try that in a real game...silly man! :flirt:

They put that play in there to get it on film. They want other coaches to know that's a possibility. It forces the receiving team to think about the play. It was completely intentional.

Yep, the only reason to put it in this game was to make sure others know it's possible, which theoretically should reduce the pressure on Moorman as a rusher gets put in the role of spying on Smith, or make the coverage men's job a little easier as they get singled up more often, or both.

They also got to see that the blockers on the punt unit can actually create a hole big enough for Smith to get through in a game that doesn't count. Which wasn't necessarily a given considering the depth on the O-line.

Yep, the only reason to put it in this game was to make sure others know it's possible, which theoretically should reduce the pressure on Moorman as a rusher gets put in the role of spying on Smith, or make the coverage men's job a little easier as they get singled up more often, or both.

They also got to see that the blockers on the punt unit can actually create a hole big enough for Smith to get through in a game that doesn't count. Which wasn't necessarily a given considering the depth on the O-line.

Anytime they put Smith between the snapper and the punter, everyone on the planet will know what's coming. It won't change the pressure on Moorman, who is only a few yards behind Smith.

I think they should fake punt on every forth down of the entire preseason. The one guy on the Bills who absolutely positively does not need any more practice is Moorman.

Anytime they put Smith between the snapper and the punter, everyone on the planet will know what's coming. It won't change the pressure on Moorman, who is only a few yards behind Smith.

Depends on how often they line up that way and use it really.

I can't wait until a team figures (or remembers) out that a squib kick with the new kick off rule is going to be big surprise.

Depends on how often they line up that way and use it really.

I can't wait until a team figures (or remembers) out that a squib kick with the new kick off rule is going to be big surprise.

An onside kick in an unlikely situation will be interesting too. I know even w the kickoff on the 30 it would be a surprise but w return unlikely if time permits teams maybe less likely to use onside kicks if their defense is good.

An onside kick in an unlikely situation will be interesting too. I know even w the kickoff on the 30 it would be a surprise but w return unlikely if time permits teams maybe less likely to use onside kicks if their defense is good.

I can see the bills going for an onside kick on the opening kickoff against the chiefs and recovering it, then going 3 and out.

The next time Smith takes a short snap, the "tight ends" in the formation (not the gunners) will release freely while the men they're "blocking" will rush Smith. Smith will have two wide open receivers to choose from for a first down throw.

There are so many plays and counter-plays that the aspect of tipping one's hand is extremely minor, IMO.

When I saw the topic, I was thinking it would be more about whether a fake punt is really sporting in an exhibition game. I can still remember how PO'd I was when Fisher and the Titans did that to us in the HOF Game.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

It's obvious to me that the "gimmick" QB should be groomed as the starter. Fitz is known around the league as being an EASY SACK. His arm is not respected, and he's not a threat with his legs. Now the peanut gallery is wanting to trade for an equally useless QB in Tebow. Why are we doing this? Why would we not try Smith as a starter. -We've tried everything else. Now we've acquired more dead weight in Tyler Thigpen. Why are Ralph and Buddy deliberately running this team into the ground?

It's obvious to me that the "gimmick" QB should be groomed as the starter. Fitz is known around the league as being an EASY SACK. His arm is not respected, and he's not a threat with his legs. Now the peanut gallery is wanting to trade for an equally useless QB in Tebow. Why are we doing this? Why would we not try Smith as a starter. -We've tried everything else. Now we've acquired more dead weight in Tyler Thigpen. Why are Ralph and Buddy deliberately running this team into the ground?

They enjoy your agony? :devil:

Ummmmmm.....

For all we know, Denver was worried their guys would bite and told chan to feel free to prove the point as a wake up call in a meaningless scrimmage. I wouldn't read tooooo much into any given play. Just try and see who's winning their battles more often than not and if anyone flashes as extremely good/bad

They put that play in there to get it on film. They want other coaches to know that's a possibility. It forces the receiving team to think about the play. It was completely intentional.

Yes pretty sure gailey knows what he is doing, it will have to be respected

This makes me look like a genius

Everyone knows that every other team has a handful of these plays. I'd guess if anything they probably have some aspect, like a blocking pattern that they wanted to try in a game situation, or to see who could and couldn't sell a fake. Odds are this particular play isn't even in the book for this year anymore, but aspects of it might be from a real play.