Spiller is like Mr. Magoo

Scrappy

Yes the O-line has been bad, but you know, if Spiller was the killer back he is said to be, we would have seen him break off a few jawbreaking runs by now. We haven't. Not once (his TD Kickoff return was less impressive than many of McGee's, and he has only one).

Do you seriously believe that if the Bills had drafted A. Peterson, even behind this line, we would have seen zero show stopping plays?

CJ may be fast. But not only does he have no vision as a runner, he has no explosion/burst/extra gear. Its not looking good.

he still outran the entire coverage team. The guy has elite speed, no question, and can be the fastest guy on the field at times, just can't slip, bounce and elude so far to get out in the open field where speed matters. Needs to figure out how to stay on his feet.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he still outran the entire coverage team. The guy has elite speed, no question, and can be the fastest guy on the field at times, just can't slip, bounce and elude so far to get out in the open field where speed matters. Needs to figure out how to stay on his feet.

That happens whenever the return guy takes it to the house. Lots of guys have done it since CJ came into the league, many of them late round picks or UDFAs.

Always walking into the wrong spot, he's like legally blind. You can see that the directions he goes is right into the teeth of the defense, no vision to go anywhere else. We actually have another useless 1st round pick, let's not be in denial about it.

He needs to play in "space" ala Roscoe Parrish

That happens whenever the return guy takes it to the house. Lots of guys have done it since CJ came into the league, many of them late round picks or UDFAs.

Ok and I'd say those udfa's or late round picks you speak of have an extra gear too to outrun 11 other top level athletes.

I am not saying spiller is delivering as a 9th overall, just that speed, gears and burst is not the issue. Plenty of speed guys have not succeeded in the NFL even though they had "extra gears". Spiller is failing to be elusive or stay up after contact. I am still hoping that develops.

I actually thought Spiller was pretty decent last night. He was one of my surprise positives, along with Kelsay.

Spiller was able to catch some passes in space and get some decent gaines from them, and he also followed his blocks well when the OL did open up a hole. He did miss a blitz pickup and was part of that goofy play where Bell got beat, to which Spiller saw Dumervile coming straight at him past Bell, and tried to adjust running directly into Fitz's handoff. But, overall, I thought he did a solid job and should continue to get some looks.

His speed is still elite, even at the NFL level, he just doesn't know how to put himself in a position to use it.

His speed is vastly over rated. Even we catches timimg routes in the slot he gets tackled by the closet opponent. Elite speed guys make players miss and break off big runs when given the slightest bit of light. Spiller hasn't made somebody miss in his career

Does it bother anybody else that Spiller says he wants to "showcase" this year, and that he thinks that switching back to his college jersey number might allow him to play better?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700168919/Bills-RB-Spiller-eager-to-bounce-back-in-2nd-year.html

"I'm definitely excited about having another year to go out there and showcase."

"Last year, being 21 just felt different," he said. "Now I'm back to my original number. It may help me play better. It may not. But I still have to go out there and get my job done."

Screw "showcase." Learn to pass block, hit the right hole, and do what's required to help the team win.

2010 74 rushes for 283 yards, 3.8 average per rush and 157 receiving yards, thats 440 yards from scrimmage for 7 million. His longest rush, with his "elite" speed last year, was 20 yards. This preseason, 8 carries for 13 yards or 1.6 yds per carry. If your NOT concerned about CJ you should be.

I am actually in agreement here on a lot of this.....

- I made a comment about it before the last game.....when CJ is out in space I find it kind of Bizarre that he gets tackled by the closest defender to him.....

- How do I put this....when Lynch was in this position he did the same thing but he was a basher....so he punished a defense when he did it....where as CJ doesn't break those tackles....

- I saw him do it again....he was in the open field and ran right into a linebacker looking for contact.....when he should have made a sharp cut and broke to daylight. He was also not setting up his blockers like Jackson does.

BUT HE IS IMPROVING.....I see him improving....he just isnt improving at the rate I would like him to. No way he is the starter over Jackson yet.

His speed is vastly over rated. Even we catches timimg routes in the slot he gets tackled by the closet opponent. Elite speed guys make players miss and break off big runs when given the slightest bit of light. Spiller hasn't made somebody miss in his career

You mean in his 1 year career?

Hopefully he puts it together soon, kind of like Felix Jones with the Cowboys. Took him a while, injuries didn't help his cause, but it seems like he's finally going to bust through. Also helps that the Cowboys OL looks really good right now, Free looks legit and T.Smith may be a franchise tackle as well. Helps when your OL isn't complete **** at the edges.

Edited by bouds