Spiller is like Mr. Magoo

Scrappy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF are they talking about (see Gailey: Spiller did some nice things"? Why are they force feeding this Trung Candidate clone down our throats?

The difference between FJ and CJ is miles. Spiller won't even be in the NFL in three years.

Yeah, that's just stupid. I love how everyone is picking Spiller to be the scapegoat after the 2nd preseason game. Or is it Leodis. Wait, no. It's the oline. Before everyone wastes their entire Sunday and goes and reviews the game on their DVR play by play to offer their expert analysis, please refrain from shatting on everything that enters your mind.

Is it not enough to say that our oline makes it difficult on absolutely everyone involved from Fitz on down to Jackson and Spiller.

Yeah, that's just stupid. I love how everyone is picking Spiller to be the scapegoat after the 2nd preseason game. Or is it Leodis. Wait, no. It's the oline. Before everyone wastes their entire Sunday and goes and reviews the game on their DVR play by play to offer their expert analysis, please refrain from shatting on everything that enters your mind.

Is it not enough to say that our oline makes it difficult on absolutely everyone involved from Fitz on down to Jackson and Spiller.

Simple blocking aside, Spiller is not helping himself.

Spiller looked awful. Yeah the O-line sucked but he looked clueless. When FJ ran he followed his blocks and hit the holes and creases decisively and cleanly. If you could put FJ's brain in Spiller's body you'd have something special. Maybe Spiller can learn how to use his talents but I'm not holding my breath.

I really think Fitz showed enough to be given a shot at starting at QB. I don't know if I really have heard anyone say franchise. Definitely not good enough to make up for the lack of an oline.

Just some rambling thoughts about the game and state of the Bills.

yeah it is Fitz fault when Von Miller blew by Bell and dropped him, and when Easley totally alligator arms a perfect ball to avoid a hit and ends up tipping the ball to the defense. I think most of the Bills were just trying to get through the game without getting injured, and that approach backfires when the other team is hitting.

I think Nix has done a good job with the defensive draft selections. McKelvin who isn't a Nix pick has always bit huge on every stop-go, shoulder shrug, twist and juke; you look at a completed pass and you will usually see McKelvin recovering a few yards behind the play. He's a liability out there and it shows when he is the DB that is consistently targeted. He's a spaz always trying to do too much. He has the speed, but he needs ludes or something to keep him from trying to jump/overplay every route and just play sound technique and positioning.

Our O-line is just not very good and what few steps were taken in the off season were not sufficient to hide the issues. Chan knows that he has a steaming pile, you can tell that by what Chan has focused on installing in camp: 3-step drop quick slants, screens, and draws, but those will only get you so far and defenses will crowd the box once they understand that they do not have to worry about the long ball. I've seen it a thousand times (Tommy Boy).

Obviously, this year they focused on defense, and I think we will be much improved on that side of the ball. I agree that Bell's biggest weakness has been...weakness. He does not have good upper body strength, nor lower body strength to handle the bull rush. He has good lateral speed, which Miller still exploited last night, but I think Von Miller will do that to a few Left Tackles this year.

Keep in mind that the Bills did not game plan the Broncos, and you game plan as much to hide your own weaknesses as to capitalize on the opponents. The Broncos were a good passing team last year and I expect they will be again, but Wannstedt would have had a game plan to bring more blitz and pressure on Orton had they not been playing vanilla. We play these guys again so there is no need to tip your hand to them. The Broncos looked better straight up, but we will see if their preseason performance translates over to the regular season.

And yes, Ralph is cheap (let's get that out of the way), and yes the Modrak years will go down as one of the worst times in Bill's history in regards to drafting upper round talent. He hit on some jems in the later rounds, but that is where the cheapness comes in - those jems get trained on the NFL farm team (Buffalo) and when they show enough potential to be paid well they are shipped out of town. I still have mixed feelings about Green, he is no doubt an elite LT but he also did not honor his contractual agreements with the club that gave him his shot at the NFL when he was not even drafted and the Bills gave him the tutelage of the great "Mouse" to become an elite tackle. He owed this franchise to at least play out his contract IMO. Then again, his departure hastened the jettisoning of Jauron, Modrak, and company so we may owe him a solid - like I said, mixed feelings :blush:

Been watching crappy Bill's teams too long to panic during pre-season. Our offense is a ways from being ready, or O-Line depth is terrible, and our receivers have to adjust to life after Evans. We will have a better idea of what kind of team we have by the .500 mark.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

Our gameplan in the preseason is so transparent. In each preseason game we have a player that we are forcing touches to. Against the Bears it was Chandler and against Denver it was Spiller. Not to mention this new kicking rule is going to hurt a player like CJ's production. Lets Wait till our Offense is on the field for 4 quarters and find some rhythm before we start calling for someones head.

only time will tell, but he is looking more and more like a less than useful running back all the time.

hopefully chan is smart enough to stick with action jackson this year cause there is no doubt that he deserves as much playing time as he can handle. he is hands down the best player on our team, period.

Man, I don't see why everyone hates Spiller SO much. When he is given the chance, I think

he has done reasonably well. Is it disappointing that with his speed he doesn't turn every

play into a long gain? Yes, sure, especially with where he was picked, but it is also unrealistic

to think any back could do that.

I agree, Fred Jackson is a more polished runner now. I do think Spiller is far from being a bust,

though. The OL, though, that is another story.

It would be nice if his speed turned at least some plays into long gains.

Possible that his speed isn't so "speedy" in the NFL?

It would be nice if his speed turned at least some plays into long gains.

Possible that his speed isn't so "speedy" in the NFL?

Yes the O-line has been bad, but you know, if Spiller was the killer back he is said to be, we would have seen him break off a few jawbreaking runs by now. We haven't. Not once (his TD Kickoff return was less impressive than many of McGee's, and he has only one).

Do you seriously believe that if the Bills had drafted A. Peterson, even behind this line, we would have seen zero show stopping plays?

CJ may be fast. But not only does he have no vision as a runner, he has no explosion/burst/extra gear. Its not looking good.