Fitzpatrick interview on Steve Czaban this morning....

TheMadCap

Caught this interview on the way to work, and decided to post a brief summary. I was surprised Czabe had Fitz on due to the fact that he is pretty down on the Bills since, well, forever. Anyways, not too much on the Bills current season information, but interesting non the less:

1. Czabe mentioned that Ryan Fitzpatrick was the "5th smartest person in football", and asked Fitz if he wanted to dispute that ranking. Ryan said that he didn't think the other four guys had the course load he had at Harvard (the identities of the other four persons allegedly smarter were not mentioned).

2. Asked Fitz about the Miami scandal. Ryan said that "all the people out there saying this goes on at all schools, I can guarantee this doesn't happen at Harvard". Mentioned that they don't have athletic scholarships there. Czabe then brought up the common complaint that is kicked around "college football is a full-time job, I don't have time to study excuse, you seem to have had time to do it". Fitz then also points out that he didn't have to support his entire family either, that he was fortunate to have had his parents help him so he could focus on school, not everyone is that lucky.

3. Czabe mentioned the trade of Evans, cutting Maybin, says "The Bills aren't exactly in the running for the Super Bowl, are they?". Fitz then talked alot about the philosophy we have heard from Nix and Gailey about finding guys who need an opportunty and getting them in there, and moving out those who they can get something for.

4. Czabe mentioned the good game by the defense vs. the Bears, citing the 9 sacks. Fitz says the defense is much more "stout" this year, with the additions of people like Marcell Dareus, and believes that they will be much improved this season.

5. Lots of back and forth about the Beard. Czabe asked about the status of the beard so far, and Fitz says it's as long as it has ever been for training camp. When asked if he will keep it throughout the season, Ryan says yea, although attempts will be made to keep it trimmed down. The radio hosts asked him if he wants to surplant that college kid with the crazy long beard as the best beard in football, and Fitz laughed and said that he didn't think he could go that far.

6. When asked which condition was harder to overcome, being a 7th round draft choice or coming from a small school, everyone agreed that small schools, especially the "smart" ones was a harder obstacle to get over. Fitz also mentioned that he personally felt like early in his career people questioned where his desire for football ranked, due to the fact that he got an awesome education.

7. Czabe asked about Stevie Johnson and what he was like. Fitz mentioned the 'plan' again, and that he knew right away that Stevie had major talent but was not seeing the field due to T.O. being there. He reiterated the fact that the guys on the team seem to like the fact that it doesn't matter if you are a 1st rounder or undrafted, if Gailey and Nix believe in your ability, then they want you on the field.

8. Czabe was interested in how T.O. did in the lockeroom. Ryan said that he never had even a small issue with him at all, but that he felt he was also likely on his "very best behavior". Said that he has worked with some great recievers, Holt, Bruce, 85, T.J. T.O., Evans and now Stevie and they all think they are open every play! So Czabe asked him 'when you are watching the game films on monday, do you ever say, Look dude your totally covered there, you ain't open?". Ryan says yeah, but the one time you do throw it when they are covered, they are essentially proved right anyway!

That was about it, as I said, not much real football stuff that I remember, but overall, Fitz came off as a very well spoken, and humble kind of guy. SOunds like he'd be a cool guy to hang with and drink a few beers actually, and comes off like he would actually do that with a fan. Just my opinion.

Caught this interview on the way to work, and decided to post a brief summary. I was surprised Czabe had Fitz on due to the fact that he is pretty down on the Bills since, well, forever. Anyways, not too much on the Bills current season information, but interesting non the less:

1. Czabe mentioned that Ryan Fitzpatrick was the "5th smartest person in football", and asked Fitz if he wanted to dispute that ranking. Ryan said that he didn't think the other four guys had the course load he had at Harvard (the identities of the other four persons allegedly smarter were not mentioned).

2. Asked Fitz about the Miami scandal. Ryan said that "all the people out there saying this goes on at all schools, I can guarantee this doesn't happen at Harvard". Mentioned that they don't have athletic scholarships there. Czabe then brought up the common complaint that is kicked around "college football is a full-time job, I don't have time to study excuse, you seem to have had time to do it". Fitz then also points out that he didn't have to support his entire family either, that he was fortunate to have had his parents help him so he could focus on school, not everyone is that lucky.

3. Czabe mentioned the trade of Evans, cutting Maybin, says "The Bills aren't exactly in the running for the Super Bowl, are they?". Fitz then talked alot about the philosophy we have heard from Nix and Gailey about finding guys who need an opportunty and getting them in there, and moving out those who they can get something for.

4. Czabe mentioned the good game by the defense vs. the Bears, citing the 9 sacks. Fitz says the defense is much more "stout" this year, with the additions of people like Marcell Dareus, and believes that they will be much improved this season.

5. Lots of back and forth about the Beard. Czabe asked about the status of the beard so far, and Fitz says it's as long as it has ever been for training camp. When asked if he will keep it throughout the season, Ryan says yea, although attempts will be made to keep it trimmed down. The radio hosts asked him if he wants to surplant that college kid with the crazy long beard as the best beard in football, and Fitz laughed and said that he didn't think he could go that far.

6. When asked which condition was harder to overcome, being a 7th round draft choice or coming from a small school, everyone agreed that small schools, especially the "smart" ones was a harder obstacle to get over. Fitz also mentioned that he personally felt like early in his career people questioned where his desire for football ranked, due to the fact that he got an awesome education.

7. Czabe asked about Stevie Johnson and what he was like. Fitz mentioned the 'plan' again, and that he knew right away that Stevie had major talent but was not seeing the field due to T.O. being there. He reiterated the fact that the guys on the team seem to like the fact that it doesn't matter if you are a 1st rounder or undrafted, if Gailey and Nix believe in your ability, then they want you on the field.

8. Czabe was interested in how T.O. did in the lockeroom. Ryan said that he never had even a small issue with him at all, but that he felt he was also likely on his "very best behavior". Said that he has worked with some great recievers, Holt, Bruce, 85, T.J. T.O., Evans and now Stevie and they all think they are open every play! So Czabe asked him 'when you are watching the game films on monday, do you ever say, Look dude your totally covered there, you ain't open?". Ryan says yeah, but the one time you do throw it when they are covered, they are essentially proved right anyway!

That was about it, as I said, not much real football stuff that I remember, but overall, Fitz came off as a very well spoken, and humble kind of guy. SOunds like he'd be a cool guy to hang with and drink a few beers actually, and comes off like he would actually do that with a fan. Just my opinion.

Man, he probably has 0 time for fun outside of football. He has two little kids.

What station is Czaben on? I always liked him...I rarely agree with him (he gets a little political from time to time) but I always thought he was genuinely funny, and his show entertaining...he got canned from the moring show on FOX, replaced by STEVEN A SMITH!!!!, who has since been canned...is Czaben national?

What station is Czaben on? I always liked him...I rarely agree with him (he gets a little political from time to time) but I always thought he was genuinely funny, and his show entertaining...he got canned from the moring show on FOX, replaced by STEVEN A SMITH!!!!, who has since been canned...is Czaben national?

He's on the local DC sports show, and has not been syndicated as extensively as he was with Fox Sports prior to getting canned for Screamin' A. They are working at getting him back up around the country, but has been changed twice since returning about a year ago. Started out on Sporting News Radio, but is now affiliated with Yahoo Sports. If you have XM/Sirius you can get him on channel 208...

Edited by TheMadCap