Why did Brown play more than Thigpen?

Mr. WEO

He's adequate for PS, but you're still unsure whether he will develop into a No. 2 down the road. Why waste a PS spot on someone who'll never develop into No 2 or 3?

So in reality, your question should have been not why Brown over Thigpen, but why so much Brown and not another QB prospect. There was nothing to gain by giving Thigpen more time with only a few practice days.

Waste a PS spot? How likely is a PS QB to become a #2? What other QB prospect do we have? Nesbitt? He's not fit to QB the PS.

I've read right here more than several times that Thigpen is very familiar with this offense.

Quite simply, Brown cannot make this roster unless they keep 4.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Clearly you were watching a different game than the one on last night. Maybe take a step closer to the TV screen.

:blink: UMM, maybe we were watching a different game. I'm not trying to get down on the kid, he looked like he could develop into a serviceable back up but he's definitely got one of the weakest arms in NFL.

I think he's eligible. You have to be on the active game day roster for more than six weeks to be ineligible and he wasn't.

No, you have to be on the 53-man roster, which he was for 13 weeks. Whether you were active or inactive on game day makes no difference. He has one accrued season of NFL experience, and is therefore ineligible.

What happened to Smith being our #3 QB on the roster? It was widely accepted, given the new rule changes, that Smith was our #3 so we wouldn't have to burn a WR spot on him. If so, there's no room for Levi, so why play him? He's already adequate for PS.

I'm just wondering if they don't want him to be listed as the #3 QB since he's learning part of 3 different positions. Perhaps he's not as prepared to run the main offense as a QB yet. It's possible that he is listed as a WR until he can run the offense as a full time QB. He didn't see much time running the main offense in the preseason game. If he was meant to be the #3 QB I'd like to see more reps under center.

Again, I'm just trying to rationalize what Chan and co. are doing. No idea if I'm anywhere near 'the mark.'

Watching the Jets game last night, the vast majority of the game was played (pretty well, after a rough start) by their #2-McElroy. The Bills won't carry 4 QBs; why did we have to see so much Levi Brown (straight to PS) when Thigpen could clearly use the work?

Thigpen has already made the roster, Brown is still a ?

No, you have to be on the 53-man roster, which he was for 13 weeks. Whether you were active or inactive on game day makes no difference. He has one accrued season of NFL experience, and is therefore ineligible.

This seems like a credible source for what the rules were for practice squad eligibility under the 2006 CBA. Don't know if the 2011 CBA changed things.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/27027/a-review-of-practice-squad-rules

Players must meet one of the following criteria while previously not being on a practice squad more than two seasons:

•No accrued seasons of NFL experience.

•Free agents who were on an active roster for fewer than nine regular-season games during their accrued seasons.

brown knows the playbook better

brown is the player that may end up on the 53, ps, or street.

evaluate the unknown that is ready to play, or play a guy that is a known quantity and unprepared?

Was going to say exactly this. Plus, Thigpen barely had a week of practice with a new team and new system.

Who's to say they don't keep Brown on the roster. Brad Smith is a real weapon, but not a real QB. He is probably listed at WR.

With our O-line it's not unreasonable to think we might keep 3 QB's...With Smith around as an "emergency" QB, it seems unlikely but not out of the question.

No. That's wrong. It's active game day roster, not 53 man roster. There is one rule about six games and one rule about nine games I am not absolutely positive of. Perhaps six in the previous year, and nine altogether. But the rule is definitely active game day roster. Levi is eligible. Chris Brown has even commented on it. I will try to look it up.

Here is what he said at one time, which doesn't mention Levi but explains the rules:

Q: Can you explain the eligibility rules for the practice squad? Is there a number of games a player can dress and be on the active roster then to be switched to the squad? How many players are allowed on the squad? Could players like Howard, Roosevelt, Donald Jones, Ed Wang land on the squad since they maybe behind the pecking order at OG and WR?

CB: Players can typically spend two seasons on a practice squad. There are stipulations that allow for a third year, but I’m not going to get into those here. Once a player has dressed for nine NFL games he is no longer eligible for the practice squad. So for example, when Jim Leonhard in his first season with the Bills appeared in nine games, he was no longer eligible for the practice squad.

Practice squad sizes can hold a maximum of eight players.

Howard appeared in 10 games as a rookie last year and Jones in 15. Both would no longer be eligible for the practice squad to my knowledge. Wang and Roosevelt who each appeared in six games are still practice squad eligible."

Who?

He wasn't on our PS. A better them knew where he belonged.

Is everyone abandoning Smith as the #3? Seems this idea was quite popular a week ago. It's the only way Brown gets on the roster.

If Brown is on the team, he will be on the PS. If he is not, some other young project QB will be on the PS.

No. That's wrong. It's active game day roster, not 53 man roster. There is one rule about six games and one rule about nine games I am not absolutely positive of. Perhaps six in the previous year, and nine altogether. But the rule is definitely active game day roster. Levi is eligible. Chris Brown has even commented on it. I will try to look it up.

Here is what he said at one time, which doesn't mention Levi but explains the rules:

You're right. I understood being on an active roster to being on the 53-man roster. This guy does a better job of explaining it.

My link

Basically you can't have been on an active roster for 6 games. If all of your games were in one season, then you can't have more than 8 games on an active roster.

However, this guy says the rules are different for 3rd QBs; their games count whether they were active or not. So, according to that, Levi is not eligible.

The rules are different for No. 3 quarterbacks who are on a 53-man roster, like Brady Quinn​, but are not among the 45 "active" players for the game because the No. 3 quarterback can enter a game. So, Quinn will accrue a season of experience even if he is the Broncos' No. 3 quarterback all season

This is from last October. It's possible the rules have changed with the new CBA.

Edited by mobywale

You're right. I understood being on an active roster to being on the 53-man roster. This guy does a better job of explaining it.

My link

Basically you can't have been on an active roster for 6 games. If all of your games were in one season, then you can't have more than 8 games on an active roster.

However, this guy says the rules are different for 3rd QBs; their games count whether they were active or not. So, according to that, Levi is not eligible.

This is from last October. It's possible the rules have changed with the new CBA.

They changed the rules of the #3 QB with the new CBA yes, but they wouldn't affect the PS rules. There were no PS rules changes as far as I know. What that guy was probably referring to was that Brady Quinn as the #3 actually "dressed" for the games last year as the #3. I'm not sure how many he actually appeared in, if any. If he doesn't get into the game, it would not count as one of the six or eight active games. If he did get in the game, the other QBs would be ineligible (keeping the active number at 46 or less). This year there is no #3 QB rule. The active rosters are 47 any way teams want to dress them. Some teams will use their #3 QB on a player dressed (like the Bills, with Brad Smith) and some teams will just go with two active QBs.

This is another Chris Brown comment on Levi from a few Fridays ago where he mentions Levi eligible for the PS this year...

With respect to Levi Brown, I think he’s in a bit of a tough spot. Like we mentioned long term commitments were made to both Thigpen and Smith and I get the feeling that coach Gailey likes having a 3rd quarterback that’s multi-dimensional that he can use on game day for more than holding a clipboard. Levi might be caught in a numbers game here, but there is one other option for the Bills with him and that’s the practice squad. We’ll see how he performs in the preseason.
Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog