Merriman's Leadership

WickedGame

Watching Merriman's press conference after the Bears game, I was impressed by his demeanor. He's got a good sense of where he fits in this defense, sounds like he as a good rapport with Dareus already, gives credit where it's due, and has the right balance between serious and playful. He looks mature and focused. If he combines that with high-level play, it'll be a good presence on this D.

Edited by WickedGame

Watching Merriman's press conference after the Bears game, I was impressed by his demeanor. He's got a good sense of where he fits in this defense, sounds like he as a good rapport with Dareus already, gives credit where it's due, and has the right balance between serious and playful. He looks mature and focused. If he combines that with high-level play, it'll be a good presence on this D.

He was the team leader in San Diego too.

Drew Brees even ripped him off with his pre-game chants that you began to see a couple of year sago when Saints were getting pub.

That was Merrimen's thing.

I was happy to see the Bills land him for that reason alone-leadership, even if he couldn't perform-he can lead!

Also Merrimen has star power, last star we had was T.O.-always a good thing to have some guys who get national attention and encourage other players to consider the Bills. Wish him well this season.

If he's back, he'll be able to attract more FA's. Barnett said he signed with the Bills because of Merriman. That might be partly true, the other part being the Bills gave him the best offer/chance to play.

great positive post here...this dude has to stay healthy and if he does that bolsters last years defense significantly...thats like 2 poz's.....

Edited by benbillsfan

He was the team leader in San Diego too.

Drew Brees even ripped him off with his pre-game chants that you began to see a couple of year sago when Saints were getting pub.

That was Merrimen's thing.

I was happy to see the Bills land him for that reason alone-leadership, even if he couldn't perform-he can lead!

Also Merrimen has star power, last star we had was T.O.-always a good thing to have some guys who get national attention and encourage other players to consider the Bills. Wish him well this season.

I think that we're shaping a new kind of team- one that we've really never had before. Our whole defense is shaping up to be big and nasty, plus we've got high-profile rookies and leaders. Additionally, you have people emerging on offense like Stevie who is a media darling. I think that attitude thing is huge. It makes for more publicity (with good performance) that could be both more intimidating to other teams and way more exciting for us fans.

And players are genuinely excited about each other. Merriman was laughing and having fun with how Marcel was ready to take all the credit for his sacks. I thought that was cool because it means that Merriman feeds off of the rookie's excitement, and he is also acknowledging that teams can't stop all of them.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

Not convinced he will show as dominantly against a real offensive line in real game action, BUT...

It is highly enjoyable to watch a Buffalo Bill with some fire and desire and is entertaining and dynamic. For too many years our hallmark has been boring teams into submission and making everyone wonder if the stoic demeanors were professionalism or indifference.

Three cheers.

Edited by akm0404

Like what I see for sure. Anyone else notice that at training camp, he and Kelsay kinda just stand around most of the time and talk to some non players while everyone else is working with position coaches. Not sure if they are coaches (or posse). I guess if that keeps him from getting hurt, I should be okay with it. It would seem however that Kelsay could use a little technique coaching at the linebacker position.

as long as he stays away from reality t.v stars and pro wrestlers.on a side note, he would have mopped the floor with cm punk

I'm not so sure about that. Merriman looked pretty rusty, by most accounts, in his tune up match against Tila Tequila.

Edited by Jauronimo