Didn't see this coming...

Pats' Ocho and Haynesworth

Not like the patriots to be crapping away draft picks so it makes me wonder how reliable the source is.

The report also comes from a site called Fan Nation. I'd hazard to guess that's a few steps beneath Bleacher Report on the reliability scale. I'll believe it when I see it.

The report also comes from a site called Fan Nation. I'd hazard to guess that's a few steps beneath Bleacher Report on the reliability scale. I'll believe it when I see it.

It's actually lifted from Dan Pompei at National Football Post. Here's a story on Yahoo about it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Are-Haynesworth-and-Ochocinco-not-long-for-the-P?urn=nfl-wp5073

One day before this story came out by my guy Mike Reiss, one NFL executive familiar with the Patriots ways told me he believes one or both of the big name acquisitions will be cut before the season starts. The front office man thinks coach Bill Belichick will use the controversial players to help control and send a message to his locker room.

Reiss, who's as strong on the Patriots' beat as anyone, referred to the restructured contracts signed by the two players as evidence that there would be little financial impact in releasing either of them. Haynesworth, who got a $21 million bonus for just showing up (and doing little else) in 2010 as part of his felonious $100 million contract, is set to earn a base salary of $1.5 million before any incentives kick in. Given the new $120 million salary cap, and the fact that no future cap charges would fold into a Haynesworth release, the risk is minimal. Actually, since contracts aren't guaranteed until the first week of the season, the Pats would be in better shape if they cut Haynesworth sooner than later. Haynesworth, who did pass his conditioning test last week, hasn't done much with his new team to date.

As for Ochocinco, he has a base salary of $1 million and he also earned a $4.5 million signing bonus when he accepted the post-trade restructure. Of the two players, Ochocinco seems the far less likely cut — he's just the kind of dynamic downfield receiver the Patriots needed in 2010 with their new tight end-heavy offense, he still works very hard despite all the ancillary drama, and Belichick has been a fan of the player for a number of years. He seems to have gone out of his way to fit in and become a target of value for Tom Brady(notes).

TJ Housh visiting the Pats tomorrow also.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

If Nix did this the press would eat him alive.

PTR

If Nix had the track record that BB and co. had, it would be irrelevant.

That said, I would not be surprised to see Ochocinco being the odd man out. I really think his game has been on the decline for two seasons now...I think a large part of Haynesworth troubles were caused by Shannahan. He seemed to have it out for AH from day one...Shannahan seemed to subscibe to the Parcells notion, arrive in a new town, and immediately alienate the teams biggest stars. It almost seemed contrived on Shannahan's part.

If Nix had the track record that BB and co. had, it would be irrelevant.

That said, I would not be surprised to see Ochocinco being the odd man out. I really think his game has been on the decline for two seasons now...I think a large part of Haynesworth troubles were caused by Shannahan. He seemed to have it out for AH from day one...Shannahan seemed to subscibe to the Parcells notion, arrive in a new town, and immediately alienate the teams biggest stars. It almost seemed contrived on Shannahan's part.

AH was in Washington a full year before Shanahan came aboard. He got his big payday and checked-out.

It's a good thing Bill Belichick is a genius. Any other GM or coach who trades for guys and cuts them might look like he doesn't know what he's doing.

PTR

Isn't this the type of thing that pretty much got Childress fired by the Vikings last year??

Isn't this the type of thing that pretty much got Childress fired by the Vikings last year??

Well, there was a lot more than that. He basically lost the locker room as a whole, which is a way bigger deal. then there is other stuff.

SI reported the haynesworth/Ocho stuff as well. I wouldn't be surprised if niether of them panned out. They just are not pats* types, no matter how the media spins in with the randy moss and corey dillin type of comparisons. These guys aren't the type that will change, at all. Ocho is way too loud, much more than randy moss, and will just get killed by BB. And haynesworth wouldn't play for shanny, I doubt BB can make him do anything more.

Bull $#!t you don't get guys and then cut them to send a message to your team, you cut good players that have been their awhile.

Like Milloy? I'll never forget that 31-0 ass whooping we gave the pats* after they cut him and we snatched him up. Too bad that game was also the last time we beat them...damn