Lee Evans Poll

Billsrhody

Lee  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Was trading Lee Evans for a 4th round pick a good move?

• Yes
    • No
    • It would have been worth it if they had gotten more

I'm not trying to start another Evans thread.. just curious to get some numbers.

I am not a fan of buddy Nix. I like Buddy but he has not yet proven to me that he is a very good NFL General Manager. Lee was not going to get the Bills to the playoffs. Lee needed to go to a contender the Bills are not a contender and they will not be a contender for the balance of Lee Evans career. Also the Bills were not going to do better than a 4th for Evans.

The better question to ask is: What will they now do with the extra cap room?

The problem isn't that they traded Evans. It's HOW they did it. They traded him at a point in time where they had absolutely no leverage. Just like they did with Lynch. They sold low. This front office is beyond inept. The Spiller pick, the failure to move Lynch during the draft. The decision to move Lee now ... It all adds up to the same thing: Nix and company are out of their element.

...or, they had nothing to do with it and it's all on Ralph. Either way moves like this is why the Bills have been one of the worst run teams in professional sports for over a decade.

Edited by tgreg99

I would have preferred a 3rd round pick.. but I am excited to see what some of these young guys can do..

For the people that say that Stevie only had a good year because of Lee, well maybe Nelson or Easley have break out years since Stevie gets doubled..

I voted yes with a caveat - wish they could have gotten a better pick.

I agree they should have gotten a better return. However, wait until the Ravens find out Evans won't run any patterns unless they are within 5 yards of the sideline. I think that factored into the Bills trade. The young WR's are willing to run the tough routes over the middle and Evans wasn't willing.

The problem isn't that they traded Evans. It's HOW they did it. They traded him at a point in time where they had absolutely no leverage. Just like they did with Lynch. They sold low. This front office is beyond inept. The Spiller pick, the failure to move Lynch during the draft. The decision to move Lee now ... It all adds up to the same thing: Nix and company are out of their element.

...or, they had nothing to do with it and it's all on Ralph. Either way moves like this is why the Bills have been one of the worst run teams in professional sports for over a decade.

When would you have preferred they trade him? No one is going to trade before the draft, or before Free Agency. The only reason multiple teams were interested, allowing us to get a 4th for him, was because they failed to address a need during the draft and FA.

Also, with no CBA, we COULDNT trade him any earlier.

But feel free to make up scenarios in your head to hold the Bills to :rolleyes:

When would you have preferred they trade him? No one is going to trade before the draft, or before Free Agency. The only reason multiple teams were interested, allowing us to get a 4th for him, was because they failed to address a need during the draft and FA.

Also, with no CBA, we COULDNT trade him any earlier.

But feel free to make up scenarios in your head to hold the Bills to :rolleyes:

Since there's no reason to dump him for salary cap, since there's no reason to dump him to help the offense, then you hold on to him until a contender loses a key WR to injury or you wait until the draft and move him for a higher pick.

It's not rocket surgery. Trading him now makes zero sense. You can get more from him later.

It would have been nice to get more but was that even possible? I don't know. But if what I am hearing true, that Evans wanted out then good night now Lee Evans. Bitter and disgruntled is not what the team needs. A roster of (very skilled) professionals that want to play fot the Buffalo Bills is what the team needs. Evans was not that productive the last two seasons. I expected more of Evans when T.O. was on the field. Fix that offensive line and then let's see what the rest of the offense can do (Fitz, Spiller, etc.).

Since there's no reason to dump him for salary cap, since there's no reason to dump him to help the offense, then you hold on to him until a contender loses a key WR to injury or you wait until the draft and move him for a higher pick.

It's not rocket surgery. Trading him now makes zero sense. You can get more from him later.

Maybe. Or maybe no one is in the market after this. Bird in hand...

Edited by DrDareustein

I think this was a key time... Baltimore missed out on some receivers in FA and they didn't get Derrick Mason back or Jerricho Cotchery. So they were gonna have to give up picks. Honestly I think they over payed for Evans. Randy Moss got the Patriots* a 3rd and a 7th. Boldin got the Cardinals a 3rd, 4th. Both those receivers have put up better numbers than Evans. Gotta take what the market dictates. 37 receptions for 578 yards, isn't going to get you much. Yea he has a reputation as being a number 1, but the numbers just don't support that. At least for the last 2 years.... 81 receptions for 1,190 yards. Ouch

So when was the best time to move Lee? I'm curious because you are on such a tear. After we cut and lose one of our young WRs?

PTR

We got great compensation when you look at it this way. AQ went for a 2 after being on the block for 3 years. Holmes (who honestly is much better than Evans) went for a 5, but had a 4 game suspension (big whoop). Randy Moss drew a 3rd and NE had to give up a 7th with Moss to get a 3. Since when is Evans in the same hemisphere as Moss?

We got horrible compensation when you think about how bad we draft.

I really dont care. Evans neever really did anything for me. We are going to suck this year, and Evans would have gotten us what, maybe one more win? O great 6 wins instead of 5!

I am new to the my focused fandom and am still learning. But i am still baffled by the timing of this. Just paid him the bonus didnt they? a parting gift? absolutely blow my mind. Some of you folks were at practice. Could Lee play football, was there something telling in his play? did he not want to run across the middle or hooks, whatever?

I think we should have waited and let him go next season if he did not perform much better. There has got to be more to this because the explanation seems is that Nix wanted to fill the roster with young guys and Lee was cool with that.

Lets hope we make the best of it and Lee has some good years in front of him and leave the coverage behind him.

I will admit , by all reports we might do well with what we have. Stevie's role sure just changed. No pressure though Kid!

The timing was bad. Period. We should have traded him way sooner or just gambled and tried to move him later in the season for a 3rd or a 4th from a bad team. The Ravens will likely pick high again...we got NOTHING for this. Certainly not the way we draft. Risk moving a late 4th to a late 5th or something in order to potentially get a late 3rd...the way we draft...would have been the way to go. Worst case we just still have Lee to use as we desire. We weren't desperate. The only thing it does is let us resign some guys after the first few weeks if they play good...big deal (we are under cap anyway) we could have held out and just played hard ball and guess what if the deal fell through then so be it! That said this wasn't the complete disaster some would have you think...Lee isn't worth that much...but we could have extracted more or at least just played this out better IMO. Maybe not now...like I said we should have foreseen this long ago (that's why they make money..to plan...) or maybe held on till later in the season when teams are hurt and/or need a push.

Edited by dayman