Billls open to trading Evans

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just sitting here on my laptop and watching NFL Countdown on ESPN, and they say that we're definitely "open to trading Lee Evans" and that a trade could be "Consummated within the next 24-48 hours." OK, fine, maybe won't happen, but the aforementioned report is certainly more confirmation than we've received to this point.

Realistically, without a deep threat, spread or no spread, how do you account for the loss in our offense? I mean really, I'm tired of hearing how ineffective Lee Evans "really is." Not necessary- just want to know what any of you think we would realistically do with the receivers that we have on the roster having that vertical threat essentially diminished.

It makes no sense to take away a true leader on offense to help the other young receivers. His salary isn't that much, plus they have a salary floor to be at next season...If he does leave, I at least hope he gets to go to a contender.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Bills are close to trading Lee Evans to an undisclosed team.

Appearing on NFL Countdown Thursday night, Schefter confirmed that the Bills have indeed decided to move on from their 30-year-old deep threat, probably in exchange for a late-round pick. "It looks like a trade could be consummated within the next 48 hours," Schefter reported. The Cardinals are known to have interest in Evans, and the Ravens would be silly not to look.

Well, just sitting here on my laptop and watching NFL Countdown on ESPN, and they say that we're definitely "open to trading Lee Evans" and that a trade could be "Consummated within the next 24-48 hours." OK, fine, maybe won't happen, but the aforementioned report is certainly more confirmation than we've received to this point.

Realistically, without a deep threat, spread or no spread, how do you account for the loss in our offense? I mean really, I'm tired of hearing how ineffective Lee Evans "really is." Not necessary- just want to know what any of you think we would realistically do with the receivers that we have on the roster having that vertical threat essentially diminished.

The quoted source I saw indicated "the Bills would only trade Evans if they could get something substantial"

I guess if it's something truly substantial, it could be seen as a step forward.

If it happens, it will be interesting to see what is regarded as substantial by Chix and Nailey

It makes no sense to take away a true leader on offense to help the other young receivers. His salary isn't that much, plus they have a salary floor to be at next season...If he does leave, I at least hope he gets to go to a contender.

I am torn on this...I love our young WRs (as the brass obviously does) but I'm not sure if I'm ready to let them fly on their own. Still Roscoe only has a year's less experience than Evans and Stevie is entering his 4th year so those guys aren't exactly rookies.

OK.......Look....I know Evans is not the best WR in the world. In fact, at this point in his career, he is probably a #2 (some would argue that he always has been). But if the Bills trade him, they better get a starter back, preferably on the OL.

It isn't like his contract is breaking the bank this year. It isn't like he is a cancer in the locker room. It isn't like he is a washed up, over the hill vet. He is still a solid receiver and a player that makes us better with him on the team than not on the team.

If he is traded and we only get a late round pick or whatever, what does this tell the players on the team? Oh.....well, we aren't good enough to win anyway, so lets hope a 6th round pick next year makes us better......REALLY?? That is what you are basically telling every player on the team. Not a positive mindset going into the season, that's for sure.

Would I trade him for a starting RT? Of course. Would I trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick? Of course. But neither of those are probably going to happen. So how does trading Lee Evans for a 6th round pick make this team better? This better not happen.

I know the Bills probably won't be very good this year. But I do think they will be better than last year and the fact is, if you trade him for virtually nothing, you are telling your players that we know we can't win anyway.......may as well save some money. Not fair to the players on this team that are going to go out and give this team everything they have.

But hey.....maybe they can parlay that extra late round pick into Andrew Luck.....right....

Edited by sven233

If he is traded for a pick, which is what is being rumored, it is a perfect example of the ineptitude of the front office. Why wasn't he traded pre-draft then? Nothing has changed since then - Lee hasn't been rumored to have lost a step or been accused of showing up to camp out of shape.

The point being that by trading him now for a draft pick costs the team a full year with no player resulting from that transaction on the roster. By picking up the extra pick this year the player they would have received would be on the roster, going through the growing pains, and much closer to making a real impact next year.

I'm not a Luck conspirator, but this deal would surely lend ammo to that "tank the season" argument.

The quoted source I saw indicated "the Bills would only trade Evans if they could get something substantial"

I guess if it's something truly substantial, it could be seen as a step forward.

If it happens, it will be interesting to see what is regarded as substantial by Chix and Nailey

This and the fact that they apparently weren't interested in moving him a few days ago and now they are...a few teams might think he's the final piece and are willing to give something up for him. We do know there is more than one team after him.