PGA Championship

erynthered

Is this the death knell for Tiger's career?

I'm starting to think so. I'd also say that I think Jack's record is pretty safe right now too.

Dang, a 77??

I can't help but be a bit sad when I see Tiger playing now. This is the guy we're talking about here, the guy that really got golf on the map in this age, and the guy who made golf exciting for so many people, to the point where thousands picked up a club for the first time because of him (myself included). He was the best golfer in the world four years ago, arguably the best to ever play the game, and now he's struggling to make the cut at this championship way before his time.

Edited by LeviF91

I can't help but be a bit sad when I see Tiger playing now. This is the guy we're talking about here, the guy that really got golf on the map in this age, and the guy who made golf exciting for so many people, to the point where thousands picked up a club for the first time because of him (myself included). He was the best golfer in the world four years ago, arguably the best to ever play the game, and now he's struggling to make the cut at this championship way before his time.

PEDs (or lack thereof) will do that to a person.

I can't help but be a bit sad when I see Tiger playing now. This is the guy we're talking about here, the guy that really got golf on the map in this age, and the guy who made golf exciting for so many people, to the point where thousands picked up a club for the first time because of him (myself included). He was the best golfer in the world four years, arguably the best to ever play the game, and now he's struggling to make the cut at this championship way before his time.

It is sad to watch such a quick downward spiral. Hopefully one of the young promising golfers in the game today will be able to take Tiger's place, though it's doubtful we'll see anything like the dominance we saw early in Tiger's career. For several years, it was Tiger vs. The Field, and that's no exaggeration.

Interestingly enough, one of the pseudo-successors to Tiger's throne, Ryo Ishikawa, imploded for a +15 in the opening round. He's still very very young, though.

Tiger's not done. He's just not back yet. What exactly he gets back to is really hard to guess, but I do think he will win on the PGA Tour again in the next couple years at the very least. Winning majors is another story and he appears to have a long way to go if he wants to get past 14.

Tiger's not done. He's just not back yet. What exactly he gets back to is really hard to guess, but I do think he will win on the PGA Tour again in the next couple years at the very least. Winning majors is another story and he appears to have a long way to go if he wants to get past 14.

+1

This is what, his second tourney since April? He's rusty, and the course set up for a major is brutal. I'll reserve judgement until next season.

and here I thought I was the only one that could connect the dots...

My thoughts on PEDs and golf...aside from adding 15-20 yards of driving distance, how exactly would steroids or human growth hormone help a golfer become a champion? As a golfer myself, there aren't too many occasions during a round where raw strength is your greatest advantage.

congrats to Steve Stricker on his opening round 63.

Awesome.

I hope he can hold on and win this one. He's been near the top of the game for the last couple years but never seems to be in contention at the majors. This is a great start towards fixing that.

My thoughts on PEDs and golf...aside from adding 15-20 yards of driving distance, how exactly would steroids or human growth hormone help a golfer become a champion? As a golfer myself, there aren't too many occasions during a round where raw strength is your greatest advantage.

And he probably wins the masters this year if he could putt. I'm not exactly sure how PEDs impact his putting stroke.

Exactly...people can say what they want about Tiger and PEDs, but PEDs would do nothing to improve your golf game.

Suddenly stopping the regular use of any drug can wreak havoc on your body and mind.

Edited by LeviF91

Suddenly stopping the regular use of any drug can wreak havoc on your body and mind.

Right, but what I'm asking is, is there any solid evidence that he was taking drugs in the first place? I realize Tiger has entered the "Tyson Zone" where you'd believe anything and everything about him, but how can we be sure he was on PEDs? Has there been a precipitous drop in his distance that can't be explained by the reduction in torque from his ACL injury?