Fox Merriman article plus a repeat of Nix' philosophy

Beerball

link

"One of the hardest things about this job is the outside pressure to give in and get away from what you really believe," said the 71-year-old Nix, who inherited a personnel mess from the previous Bills front office when promoted to general manager in December 2009. "There are some advantages to being my age. I will not give in. I believe in what we're doing.

"To the fans and the media sometimes, somebody in a different uniform looks great. If there's a guy who can help us, we'll go get him. But just to show we'll spend $12 million a year for somebody, especially someone we don't think can play … I can bring up instances where people have encouraged me to go get this guy. 'He can do this and that. Don't worry about the money. He'll earn it.' None of them have panned out."

I think it's time we started believing the man.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...suffered a knee injury and didn't recover.

the "alleged" knee injury was the cover story to cut their losses

Green sucked before any "alleged" knee injury ended his career

link

I don't think anybody is challenging the veracity of what Buddy says

Most posters with half a brain are challenging his philosophy of ignoring avenues other than the draft to find playmakers and legitimate NFL talent that he failed to find in the draft

For example, raiding other team's practice squads and signing guys off the street and out of football to stock your OL has not proven to be a successful method to build a play off team

His method got us 4 wins so it must be working :wallbash:

I don't think anybody is challenging the veracity of what Buddy says

Most posters with half a brain are challenging his philosophy of ignoring avenues other than the draft to find playmakers and legitimate NFL talent that he failed to find in the draft

For example, raiding other team's practice squads and signing guys off the street and out of football to stock your OL has not proven to be a successful method to build a play off team

Apparently you missed all of the FA threads.

I'm not bashing Nix because so far he's done a good job IMO. And this is only his second offseason. This is a young team with some talent and potential.

That said, his inability to address the right tackle spot worries and frustrates me. It's a serious problem that will continue to plague this team. NFL coaches aren't stupid, they'll stack the left side of our line and dare us to run off tackle to the right.

They should've overpaid Clabo. I don't think he ever intended to come here and was just leveraging us against the Falcons, but if we offered a lot more than the 5 years/$25 mil he got, maybe he would've came for the money.

How many games do you think we would have won if we had hired Bill Polian to be our GM?

I'm not bashing Nix because so far he's done a good job IMO. And this is only his second offseason. This is a young team with some talent and potential.

That said, his inability to address the right tackle spot worries and frustrates me. It's a serious problem that will continue to plague this team. NFL coaches aren't stupid, they'll stack the left side of our line and dare us to run off tackle to the right.

They should've overpaid Clabo. I don't think he ever intended to come here and was just leveraging us against the Falcons, but if we offered a lot more than the 5 years/$25 mil he got, maybe he would've came for the money.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think Nix is doing a good job so far. And I think it's still early to judge him BUT I am frustrated we haven't signed some linemen, especially a RT.

link

we don't have long to wait to see if this guy is more then soundbites at this point

His first year at GM 3 DL players @ #2 #3#6 and none of them break the starting lineup on a horrid 4-12 team--- CJ Spiller picked 9th in the first round, 26 carries-122 yards, and posters here complained about Poz & Donte. .....Is this kid another Maybin-McCargo? He did spend a lot of his time on the bench right next to those two

Free agency last year, Cornell Green-Dwan Edwards-Andra Davis-Reggie Torbor....

That screaming I keep hearing isn't from that elusive baby, its from the fans complaining about not signing Clabo or Boss . According to that JS article the Bills offered Clabo the same as they paid Langston Walker in 07, jeez they couldn't offer a proven pro bowl RT more then what they gave Walker?

Anyway, the season is right around the corner and we will see if any of this years additions (besides Darius) will make an impact.

I'll start believing in the man when when I finally see that baby!

... According to that JS article the Bills offered Clabo the same as they paid Langston Walker in 07, jeez they couldn't offer a proven pro bowl RT more then what they gave Walker? ...

Except that's not what it says in Sully's article. It says the Falcons signed him for what the Bills gave Walker. It doesn't say the Bills offered Clabo what they offered Walker. Reports have indicated that the Bills offered Clabo 7m per year. Which was what they gave Dockery.

GO BILLS!!!

Except that's not what it says in Sully's article. It says the Falcons signed him for what the Bills gave Walker. It doesn't say the Bills offered Clabo what they offered Walker. Reports have indicated that the Bills offered Clabo 7m per year. Which was what they gave Dockery.

GO BILLS!!!

What reports are those? Have a link?

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/7/29/2302107/nfl-free-agency-tyson-clabo-contract-falcons-bills/in/1705137

Some had pegged the Buffalo Bills offer as being in the neighborhood of $7 million per year, so it sounds like Clabo gave the Falcons a significant hometown discount.

Now, can I get a link to a report stating the Bills offered Clabo what they offered Walker?

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe we wouldn't have to b*tch and complain about signing someone if Nix chose an Offensive tackle before the 4th round. Instead he chose to go with a scatback in the first when you already had two very capable RBs on the roster.

The Superbowl winning Packers have selected OTs in the 1st round the last two drafts and had a 7th round rookie RB start in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

The Bills were 7-9 in '08 before Buddy took over. The Packers were 6-10. How quickly can you rebuild?

Their is Buddy's philosophy and then there is a winning philosophy.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/7/29/2302107/nfl-free-agency-tyson-clabo-contract-falcons-bills/in/1705137

Now, can I get a link to a report stating the Bills offered Clabo what they offered Walker?

GO BILLS!!!

As you said, they offered him $7M/year. Which makes sense since they did offer Dockery the same amount 4 years ago, and he wasn't even an OT or a Pro Bowler. But Clabo chose less to stay where he was. Which is admirable but frustrating.

They have to win 8 games this season for this rebuild to show it's working. With draft picks signed for typically 4 years, inching their way to success isn't going to cut it when 10 out of 16 teams don't make the playoffs.

It wouldn't hurt if the 2010 and 2011 rookie classes begin starting or getting plenty of snaps in a rotation. Last season it appeared Gailey was afraid to play his young players.

Maybe we wouldn't have to b*tch and complain about signing someone if Nix chose an Offensive tackle before the 4th round. Instead he chose to go with a scatback in the first when you already had two very capable RBs on the roster.

The Superbowl winning Packers have selected OTs in the 1st round the last two drafts and had a 7th round rookie RB start in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

The Bills were 7-9 in '08 before Buddy took over. The Packers were 6-10. How quickly can you rebuild?

The Packers have a superstar franchise QB. :wallbash:

The Packers have a superstar franchise QB. :wallbash:

The Bills were as bad as any team in the NFL last year and it wasn't because of Fitz. There was not one solid contributor to last year's team out of Nix's first draft class. Teams like KC, NE and TB all had 50 plus starts from rookies last year.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/132396-sully-bills-need-ot/page__view__findpost__p__2202768

Christ, Harvey. In the post above you freely admit to reading articles stating the Bills offered Clabo what they offered Derrick Dockery. And now you're asking me for links? Nice.

I should have just linked to your own words in the first place. Looks like you're just arguing with yourself on this one.

GO BILLS!!!

wow so you advocate spenidng the 9th pick of the draft on a right tackle . I am so sick of the buddy bashing . Can we please see how spliller, troupe carrington ect proform this year before we trash his first draft.