August Movies: Apes, Conan, Fright Night, & Dark....

Mark Vader

I saw it on a normal screen -- and it was still fantastic. I'm over the 3D thing. I think some of the sequences would look cool in 3D (they gave me vertigo in 2D so I imagine that's even more so in 3D).

But that's me. I think you'll dig either way you see it.

I'm leaning toward 2D...I don't mind paying the extra money if the 3D experience is really something special, but I don't often feel that way at all.

Looks like the critics are on board with Apes, and it was just certified fresh by rotten tomatoes...looking forward to this one

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm leaning toward 2D...I don't mind paying the extra money if the 3D experience is really something special, but I don't often feel that way at all.

Looks like the critics are on board with Apes, and it was just certified fresh by rotten tomatoes...looking forward to this one

Go with 2D, it was good in that format. If you can find a giant screen, like I did, that's even better.

I saw it on a normal screen -- and it was still fantastic. I'm over the 3D thing. I think some of the sequences would look cool in 3D (they gave me vertigo in 2D so I imagine that's even more so in 3D).

But that's me. I think you'll dig either way you see it.

I got vertigo seeing the trailer for "Spider Man" in 3D!!!

I got vertigo seeing the trailer for "Spider Man" in 3D!!!

lol, me too...I thought that was actually a pretty neat sequence.

So far pretty much unanimous support for Apes, and also the 2D version...sounds like I have a plan! Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Mark: I am lucky to have some really nice theaters nearby, and hopefully Apes will be showing in the "big house", so it should be a nice experience. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one.

I had no interest in Apes, but the reviews and the posts here are beginning to sway me. Maybe this weekend.

See it with no expectations. It's worth a viewing.

I had no interest in seeing it as well, was dragged to it and wound up digging it.

I had no interest in seeing it as well, was dragged to it and wound up digging it.

Was a good flick..The bridge scene was a bit ummmm...Other than that...pretty good.

Same here. A buddy wanted to go to a 10:30 PM showing on Saturday so I said what the heck. Decent movie. But I agree that Pinto's acting was pretty poor.

My only expectation will be that I will be annoyed by James Franco. He really bugs me for some reason.

My only expectation will be that I will be annoyed by James Franco. He really bugs me for some reason.

He kinda did me, too....until I saw 127 hrs.

Apes was great except for Freida Pinto. She's pretty and all, but I think a cardboard cutout of the actress would have done an equal acting job.

Yes I really do not know why Pinto was in this movie, she's a talented young actor, but her character didn't really do much.

Franco was decent, Lithgow was good, Cox was his usual bad guy self & Felton was good. Too bad that Pinto wasn't given more of a chance to stand out, but she is great to look at.

There is plenty of comedy this month too:

Jesse Eisenberg stars in "30 Minutes or Less". Two fledgling criminals kidnap pizza delivery guy Nick, strap a bomb to his chest, and inform him that he has mere hours to rob a bank. As the clock ticks, Nick, with the help of his ex-best friend, Chet, deal with the police, hired assassins, flamethrowers, and their own tumultuous relationship. Also starring Danny McBride, Nick Swardson & Aziz Ansari.

It's pretty offensive that they are making a comedy film about a real-life event where someone was killed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wells_(bank_robber)

Too bad that Pinto wasn't given more of a chance to stand out, but she is great to look at.

I agree, she's not a great actress by any means. But wow, she is stunningly beautiful.

It's pretty offensive that they are making a comedy film about a real-life event where someone was killed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wells_(bank_robber)

Just read the wiki article. Mr. Wells may not have known he'd be carrying a real bomb, but he was implicit in planning the bank robbery, so the result isn't what you'd call heartwrenching. I say joke away!