Another year, another bad offensive line

<br />This thread is both ridiculous and dull. Maybe some fans are in the habit of assuming that the OLine is bad again because it has been a weak link for years, but not RECENTLY. The OLINE wasn't bad last year despite many injuries. LEVITRE and WOOD are both studs. Yes, Levitre too. I really, REALLY liked what I saw from Urbik late last year. On the left side, when he has been healthy, Bell has been as good as ANY LT in our division - that's right. When he wasn't nursing his knee back to health and only playing half the downs because of it, Bell has been solid - and impressive at times. The problem recently has been RT, where Green proved he had nothing left. They took a shot on a guy and it didn't pan out. We had a solid RT and he retired unexpectedly, leaving this new admin in an unfortunate situation. Chan says he likes Pears. Chan knows more about these things than you do, than any of us do. So let's see what he can do. And Hairston. And anybody else they think is worthy. If they think a guy is worthy, so should you. Judge after the games have started and you have data to reference. I expect Hangartner might take the RG role, and he's solid. I expect good things from our OLine this year, and I expect that we'll finally have a silencing of the OLine complaints. <br /><br />ANd please, let's not look at outsiders' stat blog. Stats can support any thesis you want. You'll find many surprises if you look hard enough. Want some stats? During the SB years of the pats, they had a middle of the road D statistically. But we all know how good they were. I look at that stat site right now and see a dozen incongruities. Was Miami really that good at running the ball? Is that what they were known for? Did Miami's run game scare anybody?<br /><br />To say "another bad oline" is just a useless comment, plain and simple. They haven't even played a down yet this year. I bet I know what you want: NAMES! Right? Guys you've seen on MNF playing for big contracts. <br /><br />BELL: Solid. LEVITRE: Solid+ WOOD: PRO-Bowl bound RG Hangartner? Solid. RT? Uncertain. Doesn't look like our biggest problem to me. <br /><br />Our problem last year was defense. If we had a middle of the road D, we'd have won 9 games despite being in the first year of new schemes on both sides of the ball AND with personnel still largely suited to the previous schemes. Chan impressed me a lot last year. He has improved an offense every time he has had the chance in the NFL. He knows what to look for in OLinemen, as does Nix. They made changes from the old regime, many changes. NOW GIVE THEM A FREAKING CHANCE and maybe quit boring everyone with the same old commentary which might have met with approval two or three years ago and beyond but recently? Please...

This post is ridicules.

Bell =always injured and allows way to many pressures. The biggest problem I have with Bell is when its the 4th QTR and the game in on the line ...he plays his worst

Levite = gets pushed around to much

Hangartner=back bad, would make a decent backup

Wood = stud and only good solid player on that line

RT= they all stink

The O line will be the reason this team fails to win again this year. They might be able to compete against other bad teams, but the good teams will dominate them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologists need to stop. The line need to be fixed there is not doubt about that. The only question is do we find or trade for some free agents this year or do we wait and fix it next year in free agency and of the draft.

Offensive line?....BOOOOOO!

Edited by PDaDdy

Makes no sense to worry about the line, clearly Nix & Gailey both think they can win.... as is!

If the line can stay solid until week 3, that week is going to be very telling if both Wilfolk and Haynesworth are healthy

I don't think it is accurate to say that Nix and Gailey think they can win... as is. I think it is

more accurate to say that they chose to use their limited draft choices to improve the woeful

defense. You can't have everything in 1 or even 2 offseasons.

Beyond Clabo, who they went after hard, WHO is/was available at OT that would have helped much? Now,

I would agree to some extent that they maybe could have gone after an OG since this Kraig Urbick

experiment is going very poorly.

If they dont go out and sign 2+ OL free agents before teh season starts, it proves one of two things to me:

1) They truely do not care about winning at all and are just going through the motions

or

2) They are so terrible at evauluating talent they actually truely believe the guys currently have are more talaented FAs out there.

*I think it may be 2 actaully, bc while Levitre isnt the greatest, he is better than Urbik, but Rinehart doesnt get snaps over Urbik.

I don't think it is accurate to say that Nix and Gailey think they can win... as is. I think it is

more accurate to say that they chose to use their limited draft choices to improve the woeful

defense. You can't have everything in 1 or even 2 offseasons.

Beyond Clabo, who they went after hard, WHO is/was available at OT that would have helped much? Now,

I would agree to some extent that they maybe could have gone after an OG since this Kraig Urbick

experiment is going very poorly.

At OT, Jamal Brown was available - as were Willie Colon, Doug Free, Matt Light, and others. Bryant McKinnie, Nick Kaczur, Mario Henderson, Max Starks, Flozell Adams, Mark Tauscher and Langston Walker are all still available.

Still available at guard are Brian Waters (5X Pro Bowl), Shawn Andrews (3X Pro Bowl), Leonard Davis (3X Pro Bowl), Vince Manuwai, et al.

Not saying that all of these guys would be an upgrade but, after last nite, it's hard to think that at least one or two would not be.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Edited by The Senator

- A full year of offseason strengthening and conditioning for D. Bell

- A full year of offseason strenthening and conditioning for E. Wood

- Andy Levitre looking stronger and better

The question markes are Craig Urbik and Eric Pears....which will continue to be question marks for a while.....but lets face it....from LG to C we ARE better.....so overall the line will be better this year

Folks.....I think people need to accept the fact that we did in fact address our front 7 in a big way.....we have monsters up front and guys we drafted last year that are looking to improve in their second years.......Antonio Colemen the BACKUP OLB is a whopping 270 pounds

John, I repsect your opinion and I enjoy your posts. I do want to mention a few things about the OL that go against some of your points here.

Bell - true a full year of conditioning should help. Let's hope that yesterday was an aberation because he looked very bad. Overall, I see Bell as a good backup LT and not suitable as a LT on a playoff caliber OL. LT is a postion that the Bills have neglected for years. Will Woolford was the last first round LT that we drafted and that was in the late 80's. Hard to believe.

Levitre - You say looking stronger and better? Not according to the coaches who are platooning him with Chad Rinehart.

Middle of the line - something is wrong here and I do not have enough insight or video to tell what it is. Levitre is getting the heat but I am wondering about Wood at center and Urbik at RG. Yesterday was not a good day for the middle of the line either. Hargartner is a TSW whipping boy but last year we started with Levitre-Hangartner-Wood and we looked better than Levitre-Wood-Urbik do right now... that is my opinion.

Pears - who nows? He may be better than Green/Howard/Wrotto but he looks as bad as Bell. There is constant pressure pouring in from the edges, Fitz has lttle choice but to throw short most of the time.

Preseason is half over and I do not see any substantial improvement at any position on the OL.

Edited by Bob in STL

I think having the O line practice against a hopefully improved front 7 every week will help them as well. And by improved front 7 I mean,

A (hopefully) healthy merriman

The same old Kyle Williams

A Stronger and more experienced Troup, and carrington.

A hungry Jasper and Dareus

The worst part about last night's game - Denver defense was beaten up already, and nowhere near as good as quite a few defenses we'll be playing this year. A real problem, I think, with this team, is they base so much of their offseason/preseason optimism on playing against each other in practice. I mean, the defense goes into last night thinking they were so much better because they'd been whipping the offense pretty steadily in practices, but then they encounter an opposing offense that is actually legitimate - and, they aren't thought of as an especially great offense!.

Too often these last years it's been a rude awakening playing against other teams. Too often approaching the season, in a bubble the Bills think they're improving, or good enough, and then another team comes to play and they're left embarrassed and scratching their heads. What the hell is the matter with this team?