Sully: Bills need OT

Scrappy

That's entire different debate. If we do somehow get good enough to make the playoffs, is RW willing to make the commitments to bring in some touch-up talent to deepen the team?

Why wouldn't he be?

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's entire different debate. If we do somehow get good enough to make the playoffs, is RW willing to make the commitments to bring in some touch-up talent to deepen the team?

You mean like he's consistently done in the past when we've actually had teams good enough for the playoffs?

What if the teams overspend their caps? What teams get forced to cut players?

PTR

Here's how it worked under the recently expired 2006 CBA - - don't know if it will be any different under the 2011 CBA but have no reason to think it has changed:

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

Question 1.13

So...what happens if a team goes over the Salary Cap?

Answer: The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

If a team releases or trades a player and the signing bonus acceleration puts a team over the Salary Cap, the team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap. However, they may not sign any players until there is room to do so under the Salary Cap.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.

So it is more improtant to get a big name than let young players play? Because if the Bills let Fred Jackson play instead of Anthony Thomas, perhaps we use a 1st rounder on another player besides Lynch. I'm convinced Sully is a poster here.

I agree CB and another excellent post.

At this point in the rebuild, I think it's more important to let the young players play for two reasons. First, to evaluate them. Second, to develop them.

I am totally against bringing in marginally better "known quantities" for the sake of placating fan sentiment.

The Bills have to be (and I think they have been) very disciplined and true to their blueprint.

I liked the idea of a few of the free agents (the tight ends in particular) because they were young and could grow with the team.

But I think the argument for bringing in "proven veterans" is often times not a true benefit… I'm happy for Nick Barnett solely because we're a bit thin and unproven at that position but I don't buy that his experience is gonna make us better… look at last year's Super Bowl and the amount of playoff experience between the two teams… based on playoff experience, the Packers stood NO CHANCE.

The most compelling situation in which to bring in big name free agents is when your team is one step away from a championship, IMO.

I'm very excited to watch this draft class (which I think is exceptional) along with last year's rookies.

Mike Florio blasted him (Sullivan) today if you read between the lines on PFT today. The guy is a Jacka--. Sadly even out of towners are beginning to see it also. I have never said anything bad about the man until now. Let me get this straight he's not from Buffalo which is obvious by the way he whines. Came on board in 1989 from under some rock looking for a job. The guy is a joke and has embarrassed himself on numerous occasions! The Buffalo News has to be embarrassed or should be by his antics. Will be glad when Tim Graham replaces him. Oh I let that slip out! A total embarrassment for WNY to say he's a Buffalonian. Believe me guys I'm not looking for a homer! But the guy will never be a Larry Felser who is highly respected when he reports on the Bills whether in a positive or negative review. Is there a way real Buffalo Bills fans can rid the area of this knuckle head? I have a few ideas stay tuned! Been a Bills fan since there inception born and raised there, his columns of negative journalism have played out. Time to move on Jerry to where ever you came from and I think we the Buffalo fans can help you. Your reporting act has played out Jerry on the national media level! Face it fans the guys a bigger loser than the Sabres or Bills will ever be or ever have been........Nuff said!

I know some people real close to Jerry and have met him a few times and we talked football. I think it was at the Wellington Pub if I'm not mistaken, but I could be wrong I've been out of the Buffalo area for 16 years. Anyway, the crazy thing is he believes these crazy articles himself. He's not just writing this stuff trying to get a reaction not caring if it's negative or positive.

His conspiracy theory is getting harder and harder to believe. He actually wants me to believe that a 92 year old man is worried about 10 million dollars or so? Or that while he's clearly struggling to even get around these days, he musters up enough energy to tell Russ Brandon on a daily basis "don't you dare spend to that cap"? He actually wants me to believe that Nix and Gailey are doing their jobs to no avail and in vain because the owner will never let the team win?

It's simple folks, the teams that spend the most money on FA's don't translate into championships. That is a fact. The Bills went after the top two RT's in Colon and Clabo, they decided to re-sign with their division winning super bowl contending teams. Thats a fact. The Bills have been confirmed to have made an offer to Poz and some of the other top LB's in this years FA class. That is also a fact. Stop believing these crazy articles. Even if we gave Clabo 10% more and offered him 5 years 27.5 million he probably would have stayed. Well how much more over value do you want to pay conspiracy guys, 20% - 30% - more?

Nix has stood by his words plural. He is not going to overspend for FA's just to get them to come to Buffalo. Whether you agree with him or not he believes that leads to an eventual demise. He's going to build through the draft and sign free agents that don't mortgage the future or our ability to sign our own guys ie Stevie Johnson. He's in his second year at the helm and I for one believe he's doing all the right things. For those of you who still don't get it, we have to start over with him. Give this football man and the outstanding staff he's put together some time to build this team.

"Outstanding" staff of college coaches Gailey got from his stint as HC at GT?

From what I read the Bills offered Clabo what they offered Derrick Dockery back in 07 ! geez the difference is that Claybo is a pro bowler and young enough to lock down the RT position for years....doesn't look like a worthwhile offer to me.

Clearly the O line and LB's are the weakest area of this team and still need to be addressed, especially if they plan on utilizing a 3-4.

Some more time to build this team into a contender in the AFC East..... looking now like around 3 more years.

Edited by Harvey lives

"Outstanding" staff of college coaches Gailey got from his stint as HC at GT?

From what I read the Bills offered Clabo what they offered Derrick Dockery back in 07 ! geez the difference is that Claybo is a pro bowler and young enough to lock down the RT position for years....doesn't look like a worthwhile offer to me.

Clearly the O line and LB's are the weakest area of this team and still need to be addressed, especially if they plan on utilizing a 3-4.

Some more time to build this team into a contender in the AFC East..... looking now like around 3 more years.

I read Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley are still alive!. Read it in the Star!

Lacking in context again, Harvey. If you tried being accurate with this stuff, I wouldn't accuse you of being negative.

The Bills signed Dockery for 7 years and $49 million with $18 million guaranteed.

Clabo re-signed with Atlanta for 5 years and $25 million with $11 million guaranteed.

So even 4 years after the Dockery signing, the deal the Bills offered Clabo dwarfs what he decided to re-sign with Atlanta for.

Here's another thing. Derrick Dockery was a 3rd rounder, finalist for the Outland Trophy (college football's best offensive lineman), and First Team All-American as a senior. Yes, he bombed with the Bills but at the time, he was seen as an up and coming young player (26 years old at the time).

Clabo on the other hand was undrafted and has played for four teams (five if you count Denver twice) and is 29 years old.

And everyone is saying Clabo is a Pro Bowl tackle. Well yes… he WAS NAMED AS AN ALTERNATE after Jason Peters could not play.

In other words, at the age of 29, Clabo made his first Pro Bowl… as an alternate.

The difference between Clabo and Dockery is not as great as some people might think. In spite of that, the Bills made a much larger offer to Clabo than the one he accepted from Atlanta.

The Bills offered him a contract above market value and his re-signing with Atlanta only confirms that he never wanted to leave and that he used the Bills to get a bit more money from Atlanta.

In other words, the Bills offer to Clabo was an excellent offer. The fact that he had no desire to leave the Falcons shouldn't obscure this… but there are those who will not be concerned with what actually happened. They'd rather spin it to further their own arguments… the truth be damned.

... The Bills signed Dockery for 7 years and $49 million with $18 million guaranteed.

Clabo re-signed with Atlanta for 5 years and $25 million with $11 million guaranteed. ...

And yet our offer to Clabo was somehow not "worthwhile." Laughable.

GO BILLS!!!

I guess you don't understand that the bills are not a very attractive team to alot of players

Oh, I understand that just fine. And they won't be attractive until they start stringing together some winning seasons.

That's not what we're talking about here though.

GO BILLS!!!

So it is more improtant to get a big name than let young players play? Because if the Bills let Fred Jackson play instead of Anthony Thomas, perhaps we use a 1st rounder on another player besides Lynch. I'm convinced Sully is a poster here.

Who are these "young" players you are referring to? Pears is 29 and is on his 4th team. He couldn't beat out Cornell Green in Oakland, and couldn't beat out Jordan Black for a back up role in Jacksonville.

The Bills should hold off improving the position for that? This is a guy to say, "we need to see what he's got?"

Many of his suggestions weren't too bright, especially a washed out Flozell Adams....but to say Urbik or Pears have somehow earned their shot...why?

The sooner people understand that the Oline is far, far down on their list of priorities, the better off they'll be.

The sooner people understand that the Oline is far, far down on their list of priorities, the better off they'll be.

With all the veteran OL cuts coming out of other teams, it's a bit premature to say that. My guess is Buddy plans to fill the RT position with a cap casualty by openning day.

At this point, I don't see a better FA- RT out there. In fact Clabo was the only clear upgrade I saw. Others had something that spoke to a stop gap answer only. Still, the RT's in camp now are just not up to the task. I'm hoping that either a team will cut or trade someone to make the cap. That seems our last solution. Trouble is we'd like to have the person in camp now. Patience is a B word.

Edited by Green Lightning

With all the veteran OL cuts coming out of other teams, it's a bit premature to say that. My guess is Buddy plans to fill the RT position with a cap casualty by openning day.

I don't know... he's gone through 2 drafts and 2 FA periods and hasn't improved the position. That's 4 separate opportunities to do so.

I might hold out a slight glimmer of hope, say if a Vernon Carey is waived, but they aren't particularly high, based on his past conducts.

I have little doubt he's going to bring in someone off the waiver wire, but I suspect it is going to be a Wrotto type rather than a starter.