MIchael Jasper

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen 2 practice reports so far, and both mentioned that Jasper was consistently driving guys back in drills. So that's a nice sign. Of course, there's a lot more to NFL success than just winning the point of attack, but it's always better to win it than lose it. Also, keep in mind that our O-line isn't exactly renowned for stopping NTs, especially once you get down to the 3rd string or so.

My guess/prediction: Jasper makes the team outright as the #3 NT, but doesn't play much barring injury.

If Micheal "Man Mountian" Jasper is capable of throwing guys around and driving the line of scrimmage back I would much rather see him listed on the team 3rd string anywhere than go to the practice squad. Given his ridiculous athleticism for a man of his ridiculous size he could be one of those specialty players. Short yardage on defense or even offense for the matter. Could you see this guy on field goal attempts basically falling over and taking out the center of the opposing line allowing all manner of Bills to get a hand up to block a kick?

I'm not saying this guy is going to know it all or be a complete technician and student of the game yet but sometimes in some situations you basically just have to kill the guy in front of you and drive him back to his home stadium.

Edited by PDaDdy

If Micheal "Man Mountian" Jasper is capable of throwing guys around and driving the line of scrimmage back I would much rather see him listed on the team 3rd string anywhere than go to the practice squad. Given his ridiculous athleticism for a man of his ridiculous size he could be one of those specialty players. Short yardage on defense or even offense for the matter. Could you see this guy on field goal attempts basically falling over and taking out the center of the opposing line allowing all manner of Bills to get a hand up to block a kick?

I'm not saying this guy is going to know it all or be a complete technician and student of the game yet but sometimes in some situations you basically just have to kill the guy in front of you and drive him back to his home stadium.

You can't expose this guy to the waiver wire. While he may have gone unnoticed (or more precisely ignored after scouts saw his weight) at tiny Bethel college, they know who he is now.

The hype surrounding this kid is reminiscent of a guy we had at training camp back in 2009, Joel Bell. People kept talking this guy up so much, he almost became larger than life. Then I believe he was cut even before training camp started.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/88606-joel-bell/

Well, I guess we can all hope. Best of luck to Jasper.

The hype surrounding this kid is reminiscent of a guy we had at training camp back in 2009, Joel Bell. People kept talking this guy up so much, he almost became larger than life. Then I believe he was cut even before training camp started.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/88606-joel-bell/

Well, I guess we can all hope. Best of luck to Jasper.

Not trying to get the hype machine rolling on this guy but it's the "planet theory" as I believe it is called? 6'4" 390lbs, 32" vertical..etc...etc??? There are literally only a handful of guys on the entire planet that can do those things.

I have no idea who this Joel Bell is but 6'7" 315 is not really that out of the ordinary for an NFL football player. Not sure the comparison is even remotely valid.

I was very encouraged by the reports on Jasper's camp performance so far. I was reasonably sure the kid was coachable given he played several line positions in college on both sides of the ball, and his coach loved him, but I was really curious about how that size and weight room strength would translate to the field. The guy is so much bigger than the opponents he faced in college, yet nothing indicated he was really dominant at that level. Makes you wonder what the problem was? Was it really just the extra 5 or 10 or 100lbs, or is there more to it?

I think with the preliminary reports we can add 1 point to the "it was just too much weight holding him back" argument. So he was able to knock an UDFA off the line per the Training Camp thread, can't wait to see how he matches up against a starter or 2nd stringer.

I would not have been surprised had he been knocked on his A matching up against NFL caliber players, so like I said can't help but be encouraged.

You can't expose this guy to the waiver wire. While he may have gone unnoticed (or more precisely ignored after scouts saw his weight) at tiny Bethel college, they know who he is now.

I agree we can't expose him to the waiver wire. We drafted him for a reason. I would rather have this guy on the opening day roster over a lot of names I could mention like Maybin. This guy is the definition of physical freak. I mean 390lbs?!?!?!? Might not translate to the football field right away or at all but keep a hold of this kid. Sorry to open old wounds but if we gave Trent 4+ years on the active roster this kid is worth a year or 2.

I was very encouraged by the reports on Jasper's camp performance so far. I was reasonably sure the kid was coachable given he played several line positions in college on both sides of the ball, and his coach loved him, but I was really curious about how that size and weight room strength would translate to the field. The guy is so much bigger than the opponents he faced in college, yet nothing indicated he was really dominant at that level. Makes you wonder what the problem was? Was it really just the extra 5 or 10 or 100lbs, or is there more to it?

I think with the preliminary reports we can add 1 point to the "it was just too much weight holding him back" argument. So he was able to knock an UDFA off the line per the Training Camp thread, can't wait to see how he matches up against a starter or 2nd stringer.

I would not have been surprised had he been knocked on his A matching up against NFL caliber players, so like I said can't help but be encouraged.

Great points. He was WAY over 400lbs I believe. At that weight, which by all accounts was mostly fat, he was not as an incredibly dominant beast. Shaving down to a much more svelte 390, lol, he should be mobile enough and have improved his strength. I wish the kid all the luck in the world.

His success will be our success.....that is until he makes the probowl and then Ralph refuses to pay him fair market value and he gets traded to another team :(

Edited by PDaDdy

In the drill last night where the DT rotated with one holding the pad and the other practicing coming off the ball and hitting said pad, Jasper was consistently driving people backwards. One hit on Heard, he pushed him back a good ten yards on the initial hit. I heard he pancaked someone else but I did not see that one myself. He also held up on the "blocking" portion better than any of the other DT. He is a powerful, huge man. He was also on the return team blocking quite a bit. He looks like he belongs but probably has a long ways to go to contribute.

I dont see anyway he doesnt make the final roster. He was specifically drafted for one reason and one reason only and that was to play nose tackle for us. Whether it is full time, or just to play a few plays a game when Troup is gassed. This guy would not have been drafted in 10 rounds by any team so the fact that the Bills made it a point that no one else had a chance to get him means that they have plans for him. They wanted no chance for anyone else to get him as an UDFA and also it was said that Kyle was teaching him the position verbally after the draft. On the 4-3 sets that we run the days of Sam/Pat/Ted could be coming back soon if this pans out.

Never heard of Joel Bell.

If we try and ps Jasper, he's gonna be wearing a different uniform. Sure hope we keep him on our roster.

How about Aaron Gibson. Big as a house, athletic, successful in college but couldn't play a lick of football in the NFL.

Yes the funny thing is though at 440 pounds the guy still didnt look too too fat. He is just one of those giant athletic freaks that there are very few of. I have full confidence they will make this kid into a football player. He is high character, and has the work ethic to put his physical size and ability to good use. Buddy likes to only build through the draft, so he certainly wouldnt have wasted the pick if he didnt have a plan.

Great points. He was WAY over 400lbs I believe. At that weight, which by all accounts was mostly fat, he was not as an incredibly dominant beast. Shaving down to a much more svelte 390, lol, he should be mobile enough and have improved his strength. I wish the kid all the luck in the world.

Gibson did have a long NFL career so obviously he could play a little bit of football. He was a first rounder and never even came close to living up to expectations, but a long career is a tough thing to have for a man that size. Not to mention that he was an offensive lineman which requires far more mobility, endurance, and foot work than a nose tackle

How about Aaron Gibson. Big as a house, athletic, successful in college but couldn't play a lick of football in the NFL.