Props To Russ Brandon

I know there are still some Bills fans who think the team stinks, that Nix is an idiot, that Ralph is a senile miser, and so on. Even a casual visitor to TSW would pick up enough of those sentiments going around. Fortunately, there are far more fans who I believe "get it," the "it" being the underlying philosophy and plan behind building this latest version of the Buffalo Bills. This is the first time since almost back in Bill Polian's day that the Bills seem to have a coherent plan that is being followed throughout the organization, from scouts to coaches to fitness staff and marketing. I mean, just having a plan and sticking to it is heartening to this longtime fan. That's what NE and Pittsburgh do, for example, and what the current Cowboys or Bengals don't seem to be doing.

Among the things that distinguish the "new Bills" is a certain quality of character among their signings. I can't help but be struck by how bright so many of these kids are, how thoughtful their comments often are, how much they want to play, how much they think "team," how optimistic and, well, just plain pleasant they are. And that includes several who have come from difficult life situations. This stands out even more by contrasting it with the type of guy they don't seem to have: the "Me first" sort of player, the negative prima donna, the locker room cancer, the party hearty crew, the "angry young man," the "chip on his shoulder" sort. If they're there, they do a darned good job of pretending to be good guys

Now this might be a little controversial, but I believe this change actually began the season before Nixley took over. Yep, back under Brandon. Other than the huge error of picking Maybin over Clay Matthews (it still rankles me), they picked Levitre and Wood -- those two alone would have made that a good draft. But they also added Jairus Byrd, Shawn Nelson and Demetrius Bell. I know Nelson hasn't worked out quite like they hoped, but he was a great choice at the time, and still might blossom into a great TE if his health permits. And Bell has been getting better and better and will, I think, have a very good season this year. Not the greatest draft in Bills history, but a good one, especially coming after years of Donohue and Levy, and their incomprehensible "strategy."

I don't believe that 2009 draft was "just by accident." I think it was well-thought out and done with a long-term plan in place. My guess is that sometime in the Levy GM administration, someone or a group of "someones" noted with alarm that things were going to hell in a handbasket with no relief in sight and began a "palace revolt" that led to Marv leaving and the beginnings of a new approach to the team. I also suspect that the Maybin pick was probably insisted upon by Jauron and when that turned out so poorly, his doom was sealed.

Other pieces of "evidence" that the changes we are now seeing were stirring at least by 2008 and were done intentionally was having that new approach ready for the scouts and for draft day early in 2009; the hiring of Buddy Nix in '09; the quick, no regrets firing of Jauron in midseason; the quick elevation of Buddy Nix to the GM position, and the hiring of Chan Gailey because he fit the style of coaching the front office envisioned.

This is all pretty much deductive reasoning -- aka, "guess work" -- on my part and might not be at all what's been going on at One Bills Drive. But it sure seems like it's correct.

When were the Bills loaded with me-first types? I don't see the change you're talking about.

And I may be blind but I don't see the 'plan' some others see. I'm not trying to be negative...Buddy seems to be doing a decent job adding talent despite the frugality. Adding talent isn't exactly a plan, its his job description. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

Now this might be a little controversial, but I believe this change actually began the season before Nixley took over. Yep, back under Brandon. Other than the huge error of picking Maybin over Clay Matthews (it still rankles me), they picked Levitre and Wood -- those two alone would have made that a good draft. But they also added Jairus Byrd, Shawn Nelson and Demetrius Bell. I know Nelson hasn't worked out quite like they hoped, but he was a great choice at the time, and still might blossom into a great TE if his health permits. And Bell has been getting better and better and will, I think, have a very good season this year. Not the greatest draft in Bills history, but a good one, especially coming after years of Donohue and Levy, and their incomprehensible "strategy."

basically it's similar to what i just posted. It should be noted, though, Nix was in the war-room in 2009 and his fingerprints are all over the Wood/Levitre/Byrd picks. Maybin doesn't smell like this, but them other guys, oh definitely... plus, why would I ever give Modrak or Jauron credit for those?? :-D

When were the Bills loaded with me-first types? I don't see the change you're talking about.

And I may be blind but I don't see the 'plan' some others see. I'm not trying to be negative...Buddy seems to be doing a decent job adding talent despite the frugality. Adding talent isn't exactly a plan, its his job description. Maybe I'm missing something.

the plan is draft high character players who produced consistently in college and develop them. Add veterans who can help and, if possible, come from winning teams. Increase the emphasis on scouting and develop a hierarchy within the FO (Done EXTREMELY well by him, not just re-naming guys' titles as was the norm the past few years), and finally, utilize coaches who have been in the league awhile and have won. DJ/Mulark/G-Will all had fairly young staff, minus Lebeau and April. I'd argue we have the most NFL experienced staff in Buffalo in quite awhile. This is quite different, but you have to be over 21 to understand the changes from 2001 until now....

This view seems to ignore the issue that the Marv problem you observe did not simply stem from an incompetent guy being given the job, but that Marv was hired because the team so badly managed its operating relationship with the GM position.

The Bills GM mismanagement issues clearly far beyond the Brandon reign of error to Mr. Ralph having fatal working relationships with Polian, then with with Butler, then with TD and then with the added problems of simply goshawful relationships and hiring of Wade, Williams, Mularkey, and Jauron.

How you can seemingly ignore the baseline repeated bad job done by Mr. Ralph of these situations and instead focus on Marv as being the problems makes little sense to me.

The hiring of Marv when it seemed pretty clear that no one could operate in a minimally acceptable manner with the owner strikes me as proof positive that the rate limiting problem here is the owner. The fact that when Marv was replaced as GM that no one could be found to even take the job speaks volumes to me as what was the problem here.

How on earth can you identify Marv as the problem here and ignore finding fault with the guy who hired Marv, Is there someone else that you feel woulda/coulda/shoulda been hired instead of Marv or that there is little reason to conclude that the miscue you focus on is still ruling the day at OBD,

I know there are still some Bills fans who think the team stinks, that Nix is an idiot, that Ralph is a senile miser, and so on. Even a casual visitor to TSW would pick up enough of those sentiments going around. Fortunately, there are far more fans who I believe "get it," the "it" being the underlying philosophy and plan behind building this latest version of the Buffalo Bills. This is the first time since almost back in Bill Polian's day that the Bills seem to have a coherent plan that is being followed throughout the organization, from scouts to coaches to fitness staff and marketing. I mean, just having a plan and sticking to it is heartening to this longtime fan. That's what NE and Pittsburgh do, for example, and what the current Cowboys or Bengals don't seem to be doing.

Among the things that distinguish the "new Bills" is a certain quality of character among their signings. I can't help but be struck by how bright so many of these kids are, how thoughtful their comments often are, how much they want to play, how much they think "team," how optimistic and, well, just plain pleasant they are. And that includes several who have come from difficult life situations. This stands out even more by contrasting it with the type of guy they don't seem to have: the "Me first" sort of player, the negative prima donna, the locker room cancer, the party hearty crew, the "angry young man," the "chip on his shoulder" sort. If they're there, they do a darned good job of pretending to be good guys

I don't believe that 2009 draft was "just by accident." I think it was well-thought out and done with a long-term plan in place. My guess is that sometime in the Levy GM administration, someone or a group of "someones" noted with alarm that things were going to hell in a handbasket with no relief in sight and began a "palace revolt" that led to Marv leaving and the beginnings of a new approach to the team. I also suspect that the Maybin pick was probably insisted upon by Jauron and when that turned out so poorly, his doom was sealed.

Other pieces of "evidence" that the changes we are now seeing were stirring at least by 2008 and were done intentionally was having that new approach ready for the scouts and for draft day early in 2009; the hiring of Buddy Nix in '09; the quick, no regrets firing of Jauron in midseason; the quick elevation of Buddy Nix to the GM position, and the hiring of Chan Gailey because he fit the style of coaching the front office envisioned.

This is all pretty much deductive reasoning -- aka, "guess work" -- on my part and might not be at all what's been going on at One Bills Drive. But it sure seems like it's correct.

Truthfully, I think the "change" in philosophy in the organization came at about the time Ralph's health deteriorated to the extent he realized he no longer has the energy to meddle in football decisions. He was embarrassed by the Jauron fiasco and decided to "loosen the reins" by bringing in some good old fashioned "football people" (i.e., Nix, followed by Gailey) to run things. I honestly don't believe Ralph plays much of a role in the football operations any longer -- I've seen no evidence to the contrary. He may set a cap for spending, but that's about it.

The "plan" begun by Nix is to evaluate the roster (last year), and then build/develop through the draft with certain key additions through free agency if the player matches the need and desired makeup of the team -- this being high character, productive players. It's not a particularly complicated plan, but it's being followed consistently with what we've seen to date. I believe we've seen the end of an era during which the Bills would draft a good player but then let that player leave after his first contract was up. One could argue they just let Poz leave, but the money paid was ridiculous and far exceeds the actual production. In the meantime, there have been no "flashy" draft picks (the only possible exception being Spiller, but we need to let that one play out and he was not regarded as a "risky" pick by most experts) and for the most part, free agents signed have a solid history of production or provide a "bridge" to the development of younger players.

The only things Brandon is responsible for, in my opinion, are continued marketing efforts to regionalize the franchise and issues such as the new uniforms. He probably fetches Ralph's bedroom slippers as well.

What happens to the Bills as a football team from this point falls squarely on the shoulders of Nix and his staff.

Levy also tried to draft high football character players in 2006 and 2007. Besides Kyle Williams, all of those players are now on other teams or out of the NFL.

The 2009 draft's first 4 picks produced 2 starting interior OL and a FS. That's fine, but those are hardly the positions that are force-multipliers on the field and remember, Buffalo had a distinct need for 2 guards with Dockery being released and Butler moved to OT.

The Bills still have questions about their QB, both OT's, and their pass rush. When they acquire/have answers to those positions, they'll be a much more successful team.

This view is not unreasonable from my perspective. Mostly because its primary conclusion is that we have to wait and see.

The main unreasonable thing on this board is when posters seem to draw conclusions for how the future is going to happen based on the first year results, Just as it is not reasonable to draw conclusions on how future reality for a rookie will be based on one year of results it is unreasonable to judge the Nix plan based on 1 year of results.

Truthfully, I think the "change" in philosophy in the organization came at about the time Ralph's health deteriorated to the extent he realized he no longer has the energy to meddle in football decisions. He was embarrassed by the Jauron fiasco and decided to "loosen the reins" by bringing in some good old fashioned "football people" (i.e., Nix, followed by Gailey) to run things. I honestly don't believe Ralph plays much of a role in the football operations any longer -- I've seen no evidence to the contrary. He may set a cap for spending, but that's about it.

The "plan" begun by Nix is to evaluate the roster (last year), and then build/develop through the draft with certain key additions through free agency if the player matches the need and desired makeup of the team -- this being high character, productive players. It's not a particularly complicated plan, but it's being followed consistently with what we've seen to date. I believe we've seen the end of an era during which the Bills would draft a good player but then let that player leave after his first contract was up. One could argue they just let Poz leave, but the money paid was ridiculous and far exceeds the actual production. In the meantime, there have been no "flashy" draft picks (the only possible exception being Spiller, but we need to let that one play out and he was not regarded as a "risky" pick by most experts) and for the most part, free agents signed have a solid history of production or provide a "bridge" to the development of younger players.

The only things Brandon is responsible for, in my opinion, are continued marketing efforts to regionalize the franchise and issues such as the new uniforms. He probably fetches Ralph's bedroom slippers as well.

What happens to the Bills as a football team from this point falls squarely on the shoulders of Nix and his staff.

You need to take a look at the early 90's teams that went to the Super Bowl. They were a HUGE collection of ego's and "me-first" types. They didn't earn the nickname "bickering bills" for nothing. To me, the brilliance of Marv Levy was not in his ability to coach but rather in getting a collection of monstrous ego's to work together as a team on Sunday.

This view seems to ignore the issue that the Marv problem you observe did not simply stem from an incompetent guy being given the job, but that Marv was hired because the team so badly managed its operating relationship with the GM position.

The Bills GM mismanagement issues clearly far beyond the Brandon reign of error to Mr. Ralph having fatal working relationships with Polian, then with with Butler, then with TD and then with the added problems of simply goshawful relationships and hiring of Wade, Williams, Mularkey, and Jauron.

How you can seemingly ignore the baseline repeated bad job done by Mr. Ralph of these situations and instead focus on Marv as being the problems makes little sense to me.

The hiring of Marv when it seemed pretty clear that no one could operate in a minimally acceptable manner with the owner strikes me as proof positive that the rate limiting problem here is the owner. The fact that when Marv was replaced as GM that no one could be found to even take the job speaks volumes to me as what was the problem here.

How on earth can you identify Marv as the problem here and ignore finding fault with the guy who hired Marv, Is there someone else that you feel woulda/coulda/shoulda been hired instead of Marv or that there is little reason to conclude that the miscue you focus on is still ruling the day at OBD,

Of course the owner is the person most responsible for this ramshackle operation. Who is going to dispute what is so obvious? The owner hired Levy to assume the reigns of the football operation after Donahoe. Levy was blatantly unsuited for the pseudo GM job. No matter how you dissect that situation it was a weird hiring by a very peculiar owner.

Levy was an abject failure in his job. Marv had the opportunity to decline the gruffy owner's job offer. He didn't. The bottom line is that during his tenure he set this franchise back by years. Nix is now undoing most everything that was associated with this putrid Jauron/Levy stint.

There were plenty of qualified football people available to replace Donahoe. However, the clueless owner was not going to bring in anyone outside of his very limited circle. So he brought in someone he was comfortable with and could be manipulated without much resistance to how he wanted his backwater business to be run. Levy was an agreeable foil. That is on him. There is nothing wrong or unfair about making people be accountable for their inadequacies. In the job he agreed to Marv Levy was not only very inadequate---he was embarrassingly befuddled.

The Nix hiring process was another example of Ralph Wilson's insane approach to ownership of a NFL franchise. The truth of the matter is that there was no meaningful hiring process. Brandon would bring in a list of names of reasonable candidates to be interviewed. The sleepy owner would tell Brandon that he never heard of them. Nix was hired because he was known to Ralph from a prior stint with the organization.

As moronic as the process was for hiring Nix I do believe that he knows what he is doing. He took over a franchise that was the equivalent to an expansion caliber franchise. He is not going to take a short term approach of an infusion of middling free agent players who will lift this moribound team to a mediocre level at best.

A lot of people have mocked him for his country bumbkin style. But from a substance standpoint he is doing the right things. He brought in Whaley from the Steelers, he got rid of Modrak and he has steadily bulked up the scouting department. What he is doing is rebuilding the infrastructure of the football operation. Something that is so fundamental in every normal franchise but didn't exist with this stuck in the mud franchise.

This may become as a shock to the haters but Brandon has never had much to do with drafting. He's mainly a marketing guy, and yes he's good at that. Hate him all you want but he's trying to make the team profitable in WNY, which means keeping the team here.

PTR

You need to take a look at the early 90's teams that went to the Super Bowl. They were a HUGE collection of ego's and "me-first" types. They didn't earn the nickname "bickering bills" for nothing. To me, the brilliance of Marv Levy was not in his ability to coach but rather in getting a collection of monstrous ego's to work together as a team on Sunday.

That's the brilliance you saw in Marv? Really? Marv was a grown man babysitter for that team. And a BAD one at that. He was great if you were the one being watched, but to the parents, he would have been considered aweful if they knew all the things he let the kids get away with.

We should have and would have won at least one of those Super Bowls if he was even a decent babysitter. I stead he allowed the kids to stay out until 6am the night before thier games, showing up hung over or possibly still drunk and coked out of thier minds.

You praise Marv.... I hated him and I'll continue to blame him for ruining our chances at getting a championship in this town. Those teams were all Polian, much like the Colts of today. And Marv ruined it.

FK MARV!!!

And look how long ago that was! The Bills have emphasized character for years now, ever since Donahoe left.