O Line Confidence

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many others, I'm disappointed that the Bills haven't yet signed any help for the Offensive Line.

How confident are you guys in a line that probably looks something like this (see below) right now?

Bell - Levitre - Wood - Urbick - Pears

Honestly that line is not bad at all with an upgrade at RT...that's why Clabo would have been huge.

Like many others, I'm disappointed that the Bills haven't yet signed any help for the Offensive Line.

How confident are you guys in a line that probably looks something like this (see below) right now?

The right side looks solid! So Buffalo will wait for other teams to sign players then re-lease their garbage so we can make them instant starters!

Bell Played well towards the end of the season, he missed a lot of strength, conditioning and practice time in the offseason, should be solid from the get go this year. Hopefully stays healthy- dont want to see Ed Wang starting

Levitre is pretty damn good

Wood should start making the probowl at center and be considered one of the best in the league

Urbik played well last year specifically against Pittsburgh

Hartgarner- Provides real good depth at the interior being he can play center and guard

Pears- a journeymen that hopefully steps up atleast plugs the revolving door at RT. Im thinking we atleast add another veteran to compete for this job, Maybe Hairston will be a surprise

Not at all.

Seems to me that great OLs have one or two Pro Bowl caliber starters and the rest are solid.

We have maybe 4 solid starters and not a ton of depth.

Wondering if Wood will emerge as a Pro Bowl type player at center???

I'd be feeling a lot better if we had bagged Clabo.

Here's what the OL has going for it -- youth. Pears is a 7th year guy; otherwise there's not a player in the current starting rotation with more than 3 years experience. There's also some "decent" depth with Hangman, Wrotto, and the rookie Hairston. We still don't know what we have in Wang. I'm intrigued by Bell. He performed adequately last year without the benefit of having been able to truly rehab his leg. The fact he's been able to spend this entire offseason getting stronger, instead of simply rehabbing, leads me to believe his performance will improve by leaps and bounds. Same goes for Wood.

Clabo would have been huge -- the line would suddenly have looked "deep." But that doesn't matter now.

Interesting side note -- prior to the 2009 draft Buddy Nix had Wood, Levitre, and Urbik rated as the three top interior linemen in the class.

Bell avg LT with upside

Levitre good LG

Wood good C

Urbick avg/below avg. RG with upside

Pears below avg. RT

Would have been nice to get some help on the right side of the line in FA but looks like we don't care if Fitz gets killed or not.

Edited by bills_red

Well, the right side consists of 2 starters that are questionable as NFL reserves;

The LT needs regular help;

There isn't a true blocking tight end.

2.5 out of 5 is one way to look at it in a positive spin.

Having your right flank caved in on a regular basis in another way to look at it.

A matter of perspective, I guess.

Well, the right side consists of 2 starters that are questionable as NFL reserves;

The LT needs regular help;

There isn't a true blocking tight end.

2.5 out of 5 is one way to look at it in a positive spin.

Having your right flank caved in on a regular basis in another way to look at it.

A matter of perspective, I guess.

Chandler is 6'8" 272lbs. Almost left tackle size. I'd say that's a pretty big blocker.

Frankly ... I like the line with my only doubt being at RT but Pears didn't look bad in his brief time here, is definitely an improvement over last year's starting RT.

Those middle three can be really good if they stay healthy and Bell continues to improve plus he has body of a protype LT, which leaves us wondering about RT. Of course, most teams in the league have a question mark at at least one of their OL positions so the Bills aren't that different.

Actually, just about all stats from last season indicate that our o-line is about as average and middle-of-the-pack-ish as it gets. That, of course, means that an upgrade at the weakest position on the line, RT, in addition to the same personnel with one more year of experience, could potentially mean that the Bills have something like a top-third-ish o-line. Not to shabby, is it?

As long as Demetrius Bell is the starting left tackle, I'm not confident.

Time to change the avatar, mate.

And have you considered something I've posted numerous times; namely that Bell was playing last season on essentially one leg because he had not had the chance to strengthen after rehabbing? This season is a whole new ballgame.

I know it's not en vogue to be optimistic about anything Bills-related, but I don't think Bell is being fairly evaluated at this point.

As long as Demetrius Bell is the starting left tackle, I'm not confident.

Year Team G GS Pen Yds False Start Holding Sacks Allwd Yds

2010 Buf 16 16 5 30 4 1 5.25 33.25

That was bells last season stats playing hurt and with out a full season to strength train so you may want to find a new whipping boy Bell is pretty good