Bills interested in OT Tyson Clabo

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JW,

Any word if the Bills have a plan B for their OT woes?

no word. this free agency is a bit of a free-for-all, very different in how it's gone in past years for obvious reasons. i would anticipate the Bills might still sign an OL at some point this weekend, given that they did take a run at Clabo. trouble is, it's uncertain who.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

it was hardly a secret the Bills were interested in Clabo. however, i take true issue in how this blog (the person who runs the site claims it's not a blog, but i beg to differ) presented its version of the story today.

first it reported that the deal was done, and its source was very trustworthy and they wouldn't be reporting this if it wasn't. and then they reported that the news would come down later tonight.

well, it did, and not the way it this blog reported it would.

and then we get a convenient explanation on how things apparently went down, and how this blog correctly reported the wrong story.

sorry, this is more than a pet peeve of mine when it comes to some (and i stress some) bloggers. in this business, being first is always the goal, but being accurate is more important. an apology is in order, otherwise, this site is essentially what it claims it isn't: a blog.

jw

There's a moral to be learned from all this. The site/blog looked incredibly cheesy, and had a .BIZ domain. We all know agents love to salt the media with misinformation advantageous to their client. One fishy story and the entire message board community was married to Clabo, and tweeting all the ESPN talking heads for info on the deal. Next thing the ESPN braintrust is tweeting back that the source appears to be "murky" but the Bills are the leading contender for Clabo. All nonsense with no clear source.

If you were a Pro-Bowl caliber player and had your pick of where you wanted to go. Would you:

a. Take the money, and go to a place that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in a decade?

b. Take a little less money, and go to a place that you played for last season and had a legitimate chance of being a Super Bowl contender not only last year, but this year?

To me the choice is simple. I would pick "a". But only because I am a Bills fan.

For me the tackles available:

1- RYAN HARRIS RT, BRONCOS.... 26 YEARS....... INJURY CONCERNS..... BUT TO ME IS THE SAFEST PICK

2- JARED GAITHER RT OR LT, RAVENS...... 25 YEARS...... HE HAS INJURY CONCERNS TOO.......

3- JAMAL BROWN T, REDSKINS..... 30 YEARS...... THE ONLY THING WITH THIS GUY IS AGE, HE HAS SURGERY IN THE PAST TOO.......

4- LANGSTON WALKER RT, RAIDERS, 31 YEARS...... HE IS GOOD VS. THE RUN, AND AVERAGE AT BEST VS THE PASS.......

THE GUARDS AVAILABLE:

1- JUSTIN BLALOCK, FALCONS.... 27 YEARS...... WE NEED SOMETHING FROM THE FALCONS, THEY STOLE CLABO......

2- DAVIN JOSEPH, TAMPA.....27 YEARS....... HES GOOD....... AND HE IS YOUNG......

THE TIGHT ENDS:

1- ZACK MILLER, RAIDERS....... 25 YEARS...... PLEASE...... WE´LL NOT GOING TO MISSED PETE METZELAARS IN THIS YEAR WITH THIS GUY.....

2- KEVIN BOSS, GIANTS........ 27 YEARS...... A GOOD CONSOLATION PRIZE

3- TODD HEAP, RAVENS....... 31 YEARS....... HE´S OLD, BUT CAN BE PRODUCTIVE FOR 2 YEARS......

THE ILB´S

1- STEPHEN TULLOK, TITANS....... 26 YEARS, PLEASE.... I NEED THIS GUY, GIVE ME THIS GUY AND I WILL BE SALIVATING FOR THIS DEFENSE, DAREUS, K. WILLIAMS, FLORENCE, BYRD......

2- KEVIN BURNET, CHARGERS....... 28 YEARS, THIS GUY IS GOOD.........

3- STEWART BRADLEY, EAGLES...... 27 YEARS, I NEED ONE OF THOSE GUYS.........

All it took was 5 mil a year?!?!?!!? We should have offered 8 or so. We gave Florence 5 mil a year. We are a joke....

For all we know, we did offer $7(+)mil, and he decided to keep his family home, and play for a serious Super Bowl contender.

I agree we should have come in with a number around $7-8mil/year, if not then Id be pissed. Not sure that we can find out?

Edited by DrDareustein

For all we know, we did offer $7(+)mil, and he decided to keep his family home, and play for a serious Super Bowl contender.

I agree we should have come in with a number around $7-8mil/year, if not then Id be pissed. Not sure that we can find out?

we NEED to overpay being a team from Buffalo. 10 mil should have been offered. They operate as if we are a large market team. We are going to hve to overpay for FA's. We don't.

Jared Gaither is the guy to get he has top 10 OT upside. injuries is the only thing with him.

Injuries are far from the only thing wrong with him. Attitude, work ethic and motivation are legit concerns with him as well.

I love the fact that we tried to get Clabo but I honestly believe Nix and company believe Pears is a serviceable RT and if we can't get a beast tackle like Clabo we won't reach for an old vet ie green/walker or someone with the same value as Pears...If anything we'll just grab a couple low cost FA (either undrafted or waiver) and let everything work out in our short camp. I hope we make a play for a valuable vet ILB (i'm sure we will with DW running the ILBs) and if the FO doesn't really feel confident in Shawn Nelson, I'd like them to make an effort to get Zach Miller(that is if Gailey even wants to incorporate a TE in his offense)...

That being said I'm happy with our offseason so far...We got Florence back!, We have our 3rd QB (3rd qb is active on game day) Brad Smith who Gailey will use in so many ways, and our #2 QB Thigpen who will be serviceable if Fitz gets hurt

GO BILLS!!!

we NEED to overpay being a team from Buffalo. 10 mil should have been offered. They operate as if we are a large market team. We are going to hve to overpay for FA's. We don't.

You could have offered 10 million, and he would have still said no. You guys apparently don't get it. THEY DON'T WANT TO PLAY FOR BUFFALO!!! It's not all about money...

I believe it was Vince Lombardi that said "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"...

Edited by Kevin

You could have offered 10 million, and he would have still said no. You guys apparently don't get it. THEY DON'T WANT TO PLAY FOR BUFFALO!!! It's not all about money...

I believe it was Vince Lombardi that said "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"...

false, we never offer enough to make then think otherwise. matching doesnt count

Jammal Brown finally got his sports hernia, scar tissue out of the way in the second half of last year.

He was a two time pro bowler at LT before his injuries. He's certainly worth looking into.

Surprisingly, Sean Locklear led all RT's in Pass Blocking efficiency, per Pro Football Focus.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/13/2010-pass-blocking-efficiency-tackles/

Either is going to be a two year stop gap Of course, we'd have to draft someone in the meantime, and drafting OT's isn't something the Bills like to do.

false, we never offer enough to make then think otherwise. matching doesnt count

You're right. The Bills don't offer enough, ever. They haven't ever overpaid an offensive lineman, ever. They are cheap. Ralph is cheap. So, hopefully in a few years I can finally buy season tickets to see the Fresno Bills of the UFL. :wallbash:

You're right. The Bills don't offer enough, ever. They haven't ever overpaid an offensive lineman, ever. They are cheap. Ralph is cheap. So, hopefully in a few years I can finally buy season tickets to see the Fresno Bills of the UFL. :wallbash:

No, they overpay Walker and Dockery. But Clabo takes 5 mil a year? Offer 10 mil. Double it. It still wouldnt have hampered us in FA. If we don't get an ILB I might murder someone

THE ILB´S

1- STEPHEN TULLOK, TITANS....... 26 YEARS, PLEASE.... I NEED THIS GUY, GIVE ME THIS GUY AND I WILL BE SALIVATING FOR THIS DEFENSE, DAREUS, K. WILLIAMS, FLORENCE, BYRD......

2- KEVIN BURNET, CHARGERS....... 28 YEARS, THIS GUY IS GOOD.........

3- STEWART BRADLEY, EAGLES...... 27 YEARS, I NEED ONE OF THOSE GUYS.........

No, they overpay Walker and Dockery. But Clabo takes 5 mil a year? Offer 10 mil. Double it. It still wouldnt have hampered us in FA. If we don't get an ILB I might murder someone

My point is this, how do you know they didn't? How do you know he would have said yes if they offered him 20 million, 30 million? The NFL is about WINNING. Plain and simple, the Bills haven't had a winning season since 2002. The Bills have been a poorly run franchise. Players of Clabo's caliber don't want to play for organizations like that. They want to win, they want that shiny ring, that beautiful platinum trophy.

Do this, weigh out the pro's and con's of playing for both Atlanta, and Buffalo, and be honest.

Clabo's gonna get his money either way. He had his choice of where he wanted to play, and it wasn't Buffalo, and it wasn't because of the money.

Let me put it another way. In the next 5 years, who has the better shot at going to a Super Bowl ?

Please, don't get me wrong. I love the Bills, and am very frustrated about how things have gone recently. I wish they could land a guy like Clabo, or Asomugha. I just think that posters on this board are missing the reality of the situation. What I do know, is that I am going to cheer for the Bills and hope that they get to the Super Bowl with the roster that "no one else wanted". I hope they beat the Pats in the AFC Championship game, and hope they beat Atlanta in the Super Bowl. I can personally guarantee that if that happened I would be spending a very drunken night in my local county jail! I would also miss work for a week or two haha.

Edited by Kevin