No Splashes? Why not?

MClem06

Note to the thinking Bills fan:

The interesting thing about the Bills spending philosophy is that while there may be no splash "now", they can (and almost have to, with the new cap floor) use the cap $ to build a solid foundation of young vets that (wait for it...) will be around a long time as the core of the team. Meaning, theoretically, they can lock up players like Kyle Williams, Wood, Levitre, Stevie Johnson, Poz, Byrd, Fitz, Spiller/Moats/Bell (maybe, if they develop as hoped) as their core group who can grow together over the next 5-7 years. This also means that potential young stars like Dareus and Aaron Williams will actually STAY ON THE ROSTER after they've played out their rookie contract. Wouldn't this be a refreshing change to the perpetual roster turnover that so many of us have lamented over the years? And deep down don't we all realize that this is how you build a winner?

It's not the glittery instant gratification we all like, but there is some logic to Buddy's philosophy if you're into that boring "solid foundation" stuff. I think to see some evidence of this, we'll need to be hearing about some contract extensions being put in place relatively soon.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with you. This statement is the epitome of a LOSER mentality. The ole.. "we're going to do the best with what we have". How can you expect the results to change when you keep doing the same things that got us into this mess in the first place.

Doesn't this sound some like the Jauron "We like the guys we have at the position." ?

If they don't bring some people in, I am done with this team. I have stuck to my guns and not purchased anything from the Bills (memoriblia or tickets) for the last 4 years. I will keep doing that until they show they are serious about winning. You can't just build in the draft. New England is proably the most successfull team of the last 10 years and they get big name free agents. The draft only gives 3 or 4 potential starters each year(not by Bills standards of course) and if they are good we lose them after 4 years. So the draft only is never going to cut it. If the Bills don't address the major holes like RT and TE, I won't even go out of my way to watch the games. It will save me a few hundreds I would have spent on NFL package. People defending the build through the draft only are drinking the coolaid and supporting this team's cheap ways.

New England gets big name free agents?? Here's the Yahoo starters for a team coming off a 14-2 season:

Offense

QB- Tom Brady- 6th round pick by NE

RB- Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis- undrafted

WR- Welker- undrafted- acquired from Miami for 2nd & 7th rnd picks

Deion Branch- an original 2nd round pick of NE, reacquired from Sea for 4th rnd pick

TE- Gronkowski/Hernandez- draft picks

OT- Solder- 1st rnd pick; Vollmer- 2nd rnd pick

OG- Mankins- 1st rnd pick; Conolly- undrafted

C- Koppen- 5th rnd pick

Defense

DE- Ty Warren- 1st rnd pick; Mike Wright- undrafted

NT- Wilfork- 1st rnd pick

Nikovich- street free agent (cut by NO) Spikes- 2nd rnd pk; Mayo- 1st rnd pk; Cunningham- 2nd rnd pk

McCourty- 1st rnd pk; Bodden- undrafted (released by Det)

S- Chung- 2nd rnd pk Merriweather- 1st rnd pk

If there ever was a perfect example of building thru the draft, it is this team. 7 1st rnd picks & 5 2nd rnd picks of 22 starters

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

Remember, this team went 4-12 last year with all those "core" guys you suggest Buddy should lock up.

Since you apparently misread my post as a "suggestion" that we sign the exact list of players I mentioned, let me rephrase: there is some sense in the "building through the draft" philosophy, in the context of the new CBA that contains a cap floor. You pick a SELECT group of players who "produce" (to use the term Buddy used today), and pay them accordingly so they stay for a long time. Do you not see how (over a period of time and 2-3 drafts) that can build a solid roster and avoid key free agent losses that we have suffered in the past? To me that strategy works much better for Buffalo than trying (usually unsuccessfully) to lure a few high profile free agents away from the Washingtons, Miami's and New York's of the NFL.

I know it's hard to think long term, but try.

It's not the glittery instant gratification we all like, but there is some logic to Buddy's philosophy if you're into that boring "solid foundation" stuff. I think to see some evidence of this, we'll need to be hearing about some contract extensions being put in place relatively soon.

Instant gratification? The team hasn't had a winning season in 6 years, a playoff appearance in 11, or a playoff win in 15. I think it's about time they try to win AND keep their young guys.

If ST sales are any indication, most fans aren't buying into the Nix plan. I can't help but say it'll be deflating to the fan base if (and it's only an if at this point) Buffalo leaves the UFA period without adding proven NFL talent to a team coming off 6th straight losing season.

The interesting thing about the Bills spending philosophy is that while there may be no splash "now", they can (and almost have to, with the new cap floor) use the cap $ to build a solid foundation of young vets that (wait for it...) will be around a long time as the core of the team. Meaning, theoretically, they can lock up players like Kyle Williams, Wood, Levitre, Stevie Johnson, Poz, Byrd, Fitz, Spiller/Moats/Bell (maybe, if they develop as hoped) as their core group who can grow together over the next 5-7 years. This also means that potential young stars like Dareus and Aaron Williams will actually STAY ON THE ROSTER after they've played out their rookie contract. Wouldn't this be a refreshing change to the perpetual roster turnover that so many of us have lamented over the years? And deep down don't we all realize that this is how you build a winner?

I've been trying to find a way to say the same thing. Good post. There seems to be a growing trend around here of what many consider to be "New Age" thinking. A lot of people like to toss around terms like "today's NFL" and use that to justify trying to put together a short-term winning team at all costs. Sad really. Is this what Bills fans have been reduced to? There is pretty clear evidence that the organization is trying to put together a long-term winning team, but there are a lot of dissenters. I don't want to be another Washington Redskin. I always laugh at the huge FA money that organization dumps every year only to be mediocre. We are moving in the right direction, I think.

Kid's today just don't know how to be patient, I guess.

Great post!

Which is to say. I agree.:thumbsup:

Instant gratification? The team hasn't had a winning season in 6 years, a playoff appearance in 11, or a playoff win in 15. I think it's about time they try to win AND keep their young guys.

If ST sales are any indication, most fans aren't buying into the Nix plan. I can't help but say it'll be deflating to the fan base if (and it's only an if at this point) Buffalo leaves the UFA period without adding proven NFL talent to a team coming off 6th straight losing season.

Just curious. Out of the top 100 free agents, how many would you consider to be starting caliber?

The team hasn't had a winning season in 6 years, a playoff appearance in 11, or a playoff win in 15.

If I'm Buddy I'm thinking "I wasn't responsible for that, sorry." Would you respect a GM who altered his core philosophy because the natives are restless?

I agree that many fans haven't accepted the Nix plan, but that doesn't make it wrong. It only means we see things with the baggage of having suffered through many losing seasons.

This feels like an organization that does not care about building a winner. I think there are some players that could help improve the historically weak areas of this team (O-line & front7). Do they really think we can keep plugging our tackle positions with late round picks and win the division. for the first time in my life i'm starting not to care about the Bills.

If I'm Buddy I'm thinking "I wasn't responsible for that, sorry." Would you respect a GM who altered his core philosophy because the natives are restless?

I agree that many fans haven't accepted the Nix plan, but that doesn't make it wrong. It only means we see things with the baggage of having suffered through many losing seasons.

What is Nix' core philosophy? RW talked last year that it would take 3-4 years, undoubtedly what his GM told him. There are teams completing rebuilds in 2 seasons, but in Buffalo they take longer because BN says so?

NIx and his HC made a lot of bad decisions last season: switching to a defense they weren't staffed for, naming a starting QB who was yanked 2 games in, not being able to play their top pick RB, and ultimately taking a virtual 5 win team in 2009 to 4 wins the following year.

Nix hasn't earned any trust because he hasn't done anything yet and frankly, I don't care what he did from Tennessee when he was Pro Personnel Director for San Diego.

Sabres first month of offseason: Regher, Erhoff, Leino.

Bills first day of offseason: let a starter walk, open another hole in our defense. Don't worry though, we'll sign the 15th best ILB available because he has a "high motor". There's no difference between the Nix regime and the all the failures post Polian. Won't mean anything till Ralph is out of the picture.

Many Bills fans have simply run out of patience and I get that. I cannot blame those in that boat.

We've sucked for a long time.

As the new regime enters its 2nd year (and yes, while Ralph still owns the team, there's been major restructuring of the football department in the last two years), you either have the patience and fairness to watch them work their plan or you don't.

No one has to give them the benefit of the doubt… but you either withhold judgement until a fair amount of time passes or you don't.

It's simply too early to judge the new regime one way or the other (in other words, the defenders of the Bills, of whom I am one, have nothing to stake our arguments on either). Whether you are complimentary of the team's recent decision making or critical of it, it's simply too early to say which way this thing is going.

But you either have some patience/hope left or you don't.

It's that simple, really.

How does this make sense when there's a cap floor?

Oh because now that there's a cap floor all of a sudden he's going to care about winning? Yes, there may be a minimum number you can spend on players but that has nothing to do with coaching and front office talent. It starts from the top, going cheap off the field translates to on the field. Not to mention the fact we haven't signed a big named, successful free agent since Takeo Spikes.

Well said sir! Let's lock up a future.

Oh because now that there's a cap floor all of a sudden he's going to care about winning? Yes, there may be a minimum number you can spend on players but that has nothing to do with coaching and front office talent. It starts from the top, going cheap off the field translates to on the field. Not to mention the fact we haven't signed a big named, successful free agent since Takeo Spikes.

Amen,I don't know what the goal of this organization really is but winning does not seem like the top priority and has not for a while.

I hear what you are saying and agree with the mentality but which of these guys is a pro bowl caliber player that you have to lock up for the future? KW Love him not sure the 3-4 is a great fit for his skillset.

New England gets big name free agents?? Here's the Yahoo starters for a tema coming off a 14-2 season:

Offense

QB- Tom Brady- 6th round pick by NE

RB- Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis- undrafted

WR- Welker- undrafted- acquired from Miami for 2nd & 7th rnd picks

Deion Branch- an original 2nd round pick of NE, reacquired from Sea for 4th rnd pick

TE- Gronkowski/Hernandez- draft picks

OT- Solder- 1st rnd pick; Vollmer- 2nd rnd pick

OG- Mankins- 1st rnd pick; Conolly- undrafted

C- Koppen- 5th rnd pick

Defense

DE- Ty Warren- 1st rnd pick; Mike Wright- undrafted

NT- Wilfork- 1st rnd pick

Nikovich- street free agent (cut by NO) Spikes- 2nd rnd pk; Mayo- 1st rnd pk; Cunningham- 2nd rnd pk

McCourty- 1st rnd pk; Bodden- undrafted (released by Det)

S- Chung- 2nd rnd pk Merriweather- 1st rnd pk

If there ever was a perfect exampl of building thru the draft, it is this team. 7 1st rnd picks & 5 2nd rnd picks of 22 starters

yeqa but they manage to RE SIGN THEM!!!!!!

Since you apparently misread my post as a "suggestion" that we sign the exact list of players I mentioned, let me rephrase: there is some sense in the "building through the draft" philosophy, in the context of the new CBA that contains a cap floor. You pick a SELECT group of players who "produce" (to use the term Buddy used today), and pay them accordingly so they stay for a long time. Do you not see how (over a period of time and 2-3 drafts) that can build a solid roster and avoid key free agent losses that we have suffered in the past? To me that strategy works much better for Buffalo than trying (usually unsuccessfully) to lure a few high profile free agents away from the Washingtons, Miami's and New York's of the NFL.

I know it's hard to think long term, but try.

I agree that draft is critical to long term but a lot of the guys you listed were FA that they re-signed. The Bills don't do that when they draft players that end up successful

Here's one of my biggest questions regarding the Bills. Most people on these boards say the Bills aren't at the point in their rebuild yet to merit spending much on high caliber F.A.'s, when they should be just extending their own quality players and keeping their own F.A.'s. Now, I agree they should keep their good players. But, when exactly do we expect the Bills to be "ready", or to be on the verge of a playoff year? This is Buddy's and Chan's year 2. Usually a complete turn around can be had in 3 years, or 4 years, I'd say, maximum. I mean, if we're not sniffing the playoffs next year, people everywhere are going to be saying, it's the same old garbage out of 1BillsDrive.

So, my question is, if our roster isn't ready yet, we would point to our Offensive Tackle positions, the RT spot being questionable, and the LT spot being an injury away from total disaster. We'd point to QB play - whether or not we need a Franchise guy, and if we do, it'll be next year's draft, I'm pretty sure. We need a good TE. We need a proven OLB, and this year we'll see if we have good ones or not, but that is not yet proven. We just lost a starter at ILB. And, we might need a corner.

So, we have unresolved spots at QB, LT, RT, TE, OLB, ILB, and CB. Even if we do draft a Franchise QB with our 1st pick next year, if we don't go out and secure F.A. linemen this year, will he be ready to really make an impact for a few years? That would put us in year 4, I'd say, earliest.

I know, it could all change and you never know the future. I just don't see how this Front Office can justify not going out and getting starters for at least three or four of those spots - like RT, TE, and maybe now ILB. They've got the money, and obviously if they can't keep the drafted guys they publicly say they want to keep, what's stopping them from never being able to build a good team just through the draft? Who is to say every good young guy won't leave after his first stint here? Again, I know it is hyperbole, but the point is, you've got to have flexible plans, and the Bills have enough money to at least get some young guys in their prime to be here for years 4 and 5.

Patience. I know. But sometimes saying that and seeming like the wiser person also kind of feels like we're just making excuses for a franchise that has lost it's ability to compete - and maybe by it's own design. I hope Nix proves me wrong about this... there might be some good cuts later in the week after teams have already spent a lot...