Per Chris Brown - Bills won't target top 60 FAs

akm0404

IMHO I don't think so . Buddy is doing exactly what he said he was going to do build the team through the draft .

The problem with that is with other teams that build mainly through the draft like the Patriots, when their picks that turn out to be really good picks reach the end of their rookie contracts, those teams are able to keep them and resign them. In Buffalo, anyone that turns out to be a really good pick leaves for greener pastures, so it is a never ending cycle just building by the draft. As soon as you start filling empty positions one year, the ones you filled 3 or 4 years ago are leaving so all you have is more holes. Good teams use all means to build their roster-draft, free agency, etc.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with that is with other teams that build mainly through the draft like the Patriots, when their picks that turn out to be really good picks reach the end of their rookie contracts, those teams are able to keep them and resign them. In Buffalo, anyone that turns out to be a really good pick leaves for greener pastures, so it is a never ending cycle just building by the draft. As soon as you start filling empty positions one year, the ones you filled 3 or 4 years ago are leaving so all you have is more holes. Good teams use all means to build their roster-draft, free agency, etc.

I agree with this. Building through the draft is so 1980s. Saying you're not going to sign good FAs and build through the draft is like only using half your toolbox. Plus as billfreak says, even if you draft lights out, every year your going to lose some of your picks from 4 or 5 years ago, whatever it is. Good vets go out (Pat Williams, Nate Clements, Antione Winfield) and rookies come in (Aaron Maybin, Mike Williams). I have high hopes for the Bills this year, but if this statement from Chris Brown is true, it's troubling to me.

Its worked out well so far judging by the 2010 class :wallbash:

After a decade plus of mis-management and treating the fans like crap, the fans deserve to be a little cynical.

If I were Ralph AND I was going to sell the team to the highest bidder (or not even) and I had all of his million.

I'd lose $20-30 million a year for 2 years or so and try to win it all. I mean what else does he have, a slightly bigger pile of money? Why not try to enjoy it while you can. I am sure he can use it as a tax advantage somehow.

I hope the Bills can target a couple of solid free agent targets.

Cullen Jenkins and Kevin Boss make a lot of sense for this team. Both fill needs and won't break the bank (Both will likely have deals in the 4-5 million dollar range). However its not likely they won't just try to sign their own free agents Poz and Florence and then try to extend the current contracts of Stevie, Kyle, and Levitre.

First of all, the team needs to be able to properly evaluate talent in the draft, free agency, undrafted free agents ECT. The Bills FO have proven that since Bill Polian that they haven't been able to properly evaluate anyone, at any position... including coaches.

Everyone seems to be anointing Buddy Nix as the next Bill Polian, and yet can't explain why not one of his draft picks started for any length of time or made an impact their first year. Nix Boldly stated he was going to get some sleep when free agency opened last season, the result of that FA was RT Cornell Green. He stated last season he doesn't like to build thru free agency, so Chris Brown might just be letting fans know ahead of time what will happen.

Judging by his first draft and FA signings from last season i don't have very high expectations for this years FA period.

Edited by Harvey lives

Sorry Poz/Florence/Miller/Clabo folks. Poz is gone and we won't go after any of the top players. Might not like him, but Brown is plugged in.

Wish we were lucky enough to like a team that gets their fans enthused by some exciting top notch player signings. Oh well, soon enough we will get to break down our new players recycled from benches around the league.