Thank you for all your well wishes and prayers...

SDS

After a long, rough week - I'm finally back home. I returned on Friday night to blistering heat and no phone/TV/internet (FIOS). I just got the service fixed this morning.

My mother passed peacefully Sunday morning with me and my sister by her side. She let go a few minutes after her husband left. She claimed he was the "perfect man" for her, but I know a lot of that had to do with his loss of hearing. ;)

She battled AML (Leukemia) since September. The cancer was gone, but it was likely to return (80%) and perhaps even quickly (3 months? 1 year?... who knows). Her only potential cure was a bone marrow transplant. We found a match in Feb., but it ultimately wasn't good enough. She needed to be symptom free after the BMT for 100 days to have statistics on her side. She made it to day 90. What was supposed to be a couple days in the hospital turned into 9-10 weeks.

She never left.

Her mind was strong and she fought to the end, but her body could no longer cooperate. The GVHD she was fighting (body rejecting the bone marrow) took too much out of her. The steroids were devastating and the recovery never materialized.

Bucky Gleason wrote a wonderful piece in the Buffalo News on her life. I am forever grateful to him. His last line will stay with me forever as will his words stay with my mother (we printed them and laid them by her side).

Her arrangements were a celebration of her life in harness racing. I highly recommend Michael Tomaslewski's Funeral Home in Batavia. He did an amazing job and his facility is top notch.

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. It means a great deal to me. There was even one member over at SabreSpace who came to the wake. That was was truly very special to me... I hope I can return the kindness you all have shown me someday.

Here is the top of my mother's vault. My best friend from high school's company does these special applique's. They did an amazing job:

SaramaProof3.jpg

Condolences to you and your family. No less than 6 of my friends or acquaintances have loss their mothers in the past year, not including my own, who suffered and battled just as your mom did, finally succumbing last fall.

The hours of joy and communion we all share at TBD would not have been possible if she hadn't given life to you. Her imprint carries on through her children and all the lives they touch. God bless you.

Haven't been on the forum for a good long while. I was especially saddended to see this thread first. So sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is a very hard thing, and losing one to cancer can be downright grueling. I know. My deepest condoloences.

I sat with my father during his last several hours battling cancer.

That was over a decade ago. I know he found some peace knowing he was not alone when he "left".

As others have expressed so well, my sincere wish for peace now for you and your family.

Be well,

Tom