Plans for new Peace Bridge dropped

Progress! What a boom to the economy of western NY State this will be.

Looking forward to the thousands of permanent jobs this will create and sustain.

Revitalization at its finest. Superb effort by all of the politicos involved to take bold moves to ensure the prosperity of our citizens and their posterity.

Oh. :unsure: They're NOT going to build it.

Oh,

Why does the area need a new super-expensive bridge?

Buffalo is shrinking as is traffic over the bridge. The plaza expansion will solve the largest part of the bottleneck.

Edited by Peace

Buffalo is shrinking as is traffic over the bridge. The plaza expansion will solve the largest part of the bottleneck.

I worked at the Peace Bridge for 2 summers. while going to college. It was 1967 & 1968, the toll was .25 for cars. Crystal Beach was still there and the Ft Erie Race Track generated a lot of business during the Racing Seasons.

40+ years ago the Bridge had weight restrictions! Any Commercial Trucker who needed to haul a "heavy" load across the Bridge had to get a special permit from the Bridge Authority AND had to do it at a specified time, always in the middle of the night. It was planned during the night because the Bridge had to be closed to all traffic while the truck crossed. Sorry, I can't remember what that limit was.

I don't think the only problem is the "bottleneck," which is there, but the fact that the Bridge is now 84 years old, and can't last forever. For all you sports fans, it was there Before the AUD and the Rockpile!

I would expect the "leisure trips" have slowed down due to the Passport requirements but the Commercial Traffic will continue and the current Bridge is not up to future traffic projections. In order to keep Buffalo from "shrinking" even more, it needs to be replaced, and we can't blow another 10 years talking about it!

Progress! What a boom to the economy of western NY State this will be.

Looking forward to the thousands of permanent jobs this will create and sustain.

Revitalization at its finest. Superb effort by all of the politicos involved to take bold moves to ensure the prosperity of our citizens and their posterity.

Oh. :unsure: They're NOT going to build it.

Oh, Never mind.

of course they are not going to build it-

it would interfere with the birds flying along the River.I guess they think the birds are as dumb as the politicians

"While the authority had to abandon plans for Menn's dramatic cable-stayed bridge, for fear it would threaten the common tern as well as migratory birds flying along the Niagara River corridor . . ."

Now is obviously not a good time to finance any bridges. Why build a new bridge? Ninety miles away stands Toronto with a population of roughly four million people. Optimizing commerce between Buffalo and TO could be smart for Buffalo. My last returning trips from Canada were rather long. And the lines for the trucks were worse. The line wasn't even moving. As for the design, the Menn design is a winner and seems to be a popular choice. I thought birds liked wires and cables - at least they do outside my home at 6:00 am. Seriously, back up, rethink things and get it right. I realize it is a simple way of looking at things but with Buffalo being in the same state as the largest city in the U.S., NYC and Toronto just ninety miles to the north there has to be some way to take advantage of the unique middle ground.

Now is obviously not a good time to finance any bridges. Why build a new bridge? Ninety miles away stands Toronto with a population of roughly four million people. Optimizing commerce between Buffalo and TO could be smart for Buffalo. My last returning trips from Canada were rather long. And the lines for the trucks were worse. The line wasn't even moving. As for the design, the Menn design is a winner and seems to be a popular choice. I thought birds liked wires and cables - at least they do outside my home at 6:00 am. Seriously, back up, rethink things and get it right. I realize it is a simple way of looking at things but with Buffalo being in the same state as the largest city in the U.S., NYC and Toronto just ninety miles to the north there has to be some way to take advantage of the unique middle ground.

Exactly!

Let the Politicians step aside and let a "private" organization build it, and profit from it!

I know, PROFIT is a bad word. The big bad Oil Companies Profit because they sell a product that is in demand, while GM does not, because it's builds too many vehicles that people don't want.

I have not lived in BUF since '70 so I don't know the current status of The Peace Bridge Authority. By that I mean, are they policically appointed/connected, or are they a for-profit, or even a non-profit Commission or Enterprise? That could determine what is done, or not, going forward.

As for the Birds, the only wildlife I ever observed around the bridge were those Freakin Sand Flies. Maybe the "endangered" birds eat them? :sick:

Buffalo may be shrinking but traffic on that bridge has been increasing steadily. Think about it, how else is a truck supposed to get into the USA? There is only one other major truck bridge (Lewiston/Queenston bridge) and two light duty bridges (Rainbow & Whirlpool) all in Niagara Falls.

This big problem in building the new Peace Bridge isn't so much protecting birds (though that has been raised) but Homeland Security insisting that a big chunk of historic Buffalo by the bridge be torn down to make room for a giant inspection plaza. We've lost too much of our history already. Besides there is plenty of room for such a plaza if they built the bridge to the north along the International railway bridge.

One way or another a new bridge has to be built.

PTR

Buffalo may be shrinking but traffic on that bridge has been increasing steadily. Think about it, how else is a truck supposed to get into the USA? There is only one other major truck bridge (Lewiston/Queenston bridge) and two light duty bridges (Rainbow & Whirlpool) all in Niagara Falls.

This big problem in building the new Peace Bridge isn't so much protecting birds (though that has been raised) but Homeland Security insisting that a big chunk of historic Buffalo by the bridge be torn down to make room for a giant inspection plaza. We've lost too much of our history already. Besides there is plenty of room for such a plaza if they built the bridge to the north along the International railway bridge.

One way or another a new bridge has to be built.

PTR

Head to Windsor? :wallbash: ('Cause that's what they do now.)

Back ~'88 they had the funds and approval at the federal level from both Canada and the U.S. to build a twin span. The :censored: idiots that wanted a 'signature bridge' that blocked that project sure were forward thinking. :doh:

Maybe 20 years from now they'll actually approve putting another bridge / expanded bridge in. I wouldn't want to have any money on it.

• 6 months later...

A tunnel goes under the bedrock. The river wouldn't be affected.

But what if a tanker truck crashes and causes an explosion which creates fissures in the bedrock and harmful chemicals seep into the Niagara river? Then what?