Gailey makes ESPN list of Best Coaches

I'm not so sure Wannstache is the answer at DC, otherwise he would have been more in demand as a DC for some pro team. He certainly will help this defense, and be an improvement over anyone on the current staff, but that's not saying much.

The Stash is a good 4-3 DC.

He understands you need size upfront and speed at LB

Unfortunately, he has never coached or implemented a 3-4 defense which requires a lot of experience to maximize teh zone blitzes to make it effective.

If you run it straight up like Edwards did, you have 5 OL dominating your 3 DL - no matter how good they are.

In any event, the totally inept Edwards is still the DC which is a true indicator of how dysfunctional the coaching staff is.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gailey seems like a better game day coach to me than Jauron. He has a better feeling of when to challenge calls, when to go for it, etc. He's a better OC than anyone Jauron hired. He has better offensive game plans and he seems to get more out of the offensive personnel, at least for now.

I don't think that he is as popular with the players as Jauron was, which won't be a problem if they start winning soon. However, if they have double digit losses again next season he may have some trouble and I could see him losing the team. Also, he obviously hasn't gotten anywhere near the production from his defense as Jauron did and that is his doing (he picked the DC, he agreed to switch schemes)

To me the jury is out. Next season is critical as I really to feel he will lose the confidence of the team if the Bills don't go at least 8-8. A lot of it is in Buddy Nix's hands too since his draft picks last season are probably going to decide things one way or another.

Gailey seems like a better game day coach to me than Jauron. He has a better feeling of when to challenge calls, when to go for it, etc. He's a better OC than anyone Jauron hired. He has better offensive game plans and he seems to get more out of the offensive personnel, at least for now.

I don't think that he is as popular with the players as Jauron was, which won't be a problem if they start winning soon. However, if they have double digit losses again next season he may have some trouble and I could see him losing the team. Also, he obviously hasn't gotten anywhere near the production from his defense as Jauron did and that is his doing (he picked the DC, he agreed to switch schemes)

To me the jury is out. Next season is critical as I really to feel he will lose the confidence of the team if the Bills don't go at least 8-8. A lot of it is in Buddy Nix's hands too since his draft picks last season are probably going to decide things one way or another.

To me the jury is in....0-8 to start the season....so many fans is disbelief that this guy could be so much worse then Jauron.... but he was.

So many fans are still defending him and his multiple boneheaded moves he made in several areas of the team, both he and Nix made critical mistakes that smart football people would never do.

Last season the Bills managed to beat Cincy-Cleveland-Miami-Detroit....all bottom of the division teams like the Bills

Ya know what, when I see him call a passing play on 3rd and short it makes me think of Turk Schonert and his stupidity. I expected so much more from offensive minded Gailey over defensive minded Jauron, especially when he and Nix both stated that drafting for the O line would be a priority in their first draft, then he drafted a RB with the first pick and proclaims that this RB will make the O line block better. I would have never thought the team could possibly get worse against the run then Jauron's Tampon 2, but it did.

I was thinking that he would be fired after this next season, but now he will have the lockout as an excuse, so pencil him in for at least 2 more PP years. Another 3 years wasted because this owner hires bad to mediocre coaches.

To me the jury is in....0-8 to start the season....so many fans is disbelief that this guy could be so much worse then Jauron.... but he was.

So many fans are still defending him and his multiple boneheaded moves he made in several areas of the team, both he and Nix made critical mistakes that smart football people would never do.

Last season the Bills managed to beat Cincy-Cleveland-Miami-Detroit....all bottom of the division teams like the Bills

Ya know what, when I see him call a passing play on 3rd and short it makes me think of Turk Schonert and his stupidity. I expected so much more from offensive minded Gailey over defensive minded Jauron, especially when he and Nix both stated that drafting for the O line would be a priority in their first draft, then he drafted a RB with the first pick and proclaims that this RB will make the O line block better. I would have never thought the team could possibly get worse against the run then Jauron's Tampon 2, but it did.

I was thinking that he would be fired after this next season, but now he will have the lockout as an excuse, so pencil him in for at least 2 more PP years. Another 3 years wasted because this owner hires bad to mediocre coaches.

Ya know what, calling a passing play on 3rd and short is how you fool the defense and being predictable is stupidity.

Chan Gailey is one of the best play callers in the League in my opinion,

Nobody sets up plays better...

when they said they were switching schemes, they essentially agreed to pencil in an extra 4-5 losses last year for the longterm good. every team making the switch struggles, and they had to go from the tampa 2 which is even harder with undersized players in the front 7. what we saw on defense last year was frustrating but meant little to nothing about where it will be in say year 3 when they have the initial overhaul finished.

when they said they were switching schemes, they essentially agreed to pencil in an extra 4-5 losses last year for the longterm good. every team making the switch struggles, and they had to go from the tampa 2 which is even harder with undersized players in the front 7. what we saw on defense last year was frustrating but meant little to nothing about where it will be in say year 3 when they have the initial overhaul finished.

if the Bills were so serious about switching to a 3-4,

why did they not bring a defensive coach with some clue how to install and implement the 3-4?

after proving conclusively that Edwards was inept and had no clue,

they kept him as the DC and brought in the Stash with an exclusive 4-3 background

if the Bills were so serious about switching to a 3-4,

why did they not bring a defensive coach with some clue how to install and implement the 3-4?

after proving conclusively that Edwards was inept and had no clue,

they kept him as the DC and brought in the Stash with an exclusive 4-3 background

im not holding my breath but perhaps with some talent added to the front 7, our coaching might look a little better, and we will be able to get a little more innovative. if you dont trust your guys to be able to make the easy play, its hard to implement a complex scheme. sometimes its hard to judge coaching ability when its obvious the talent needs to be improved. should dareus play well, and merriman is near his former self - imagine how much more we will be able to do off the edge.

Ya know what, calling a passing play on 3rd and short is how you fool the defense and being predictable is stupidity.

Calling a pass play on 3rd and short is a common complaint around here. I make it some myself. But if you watch other NFL games you'll notice pretty quick that it happens a lot in the NFL. Not just the Bills. I've even seen the coach genius, Billy Bellyache, do this himself. If it works, you're a coaching genius, if not, you're an idiot who should not be coaching in the NFL.

Don't make me laugh, if this guy were worth a crap he wouldn't have been demoted from OC, and then stripped of play calling, and then ultimately fired 3 weeks before the start of the 08 season while at KC. Then he was out of football for the 09 NFL & college season, if he were actually a decent play caller he would have been employed as such by an NFL team over the last 10 years. He tried to run the pistol offense during his one year at KC, and all it got him was 2 wins and out the door.

Ya know what, when the team goes 0-8 to start the season and then only wins 4 games all season, and those 4 games they won were against cellar dwellers just like the Bills....that doesn't give anyone the right to gloat about how good the HC is at calling plays

Gailey is no better the Turk Schonert as he had his QB's in shotgun most of the entire game, and then he calls a shotgun passing play again on 3rd and short and throws the ball, being unpredictable goes right out the window.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was the only reason last years Buffalo Bills team won 4 games, and he is the only reason the team might win a few games this up coming season. Gailey failed with Trent Edwards after wasting the off season preparing him to start, he also failed with Brian Brohm. So should the Bills pick up a FA QB that can't get the ball out to the open receiver in under 3 seconds like Fitz can....then he will fail with that QB also.

Edited by Harvey lives

He makes this list & how many people were all bent out of shape by Buddy hiring him ?? With just what he has done in his short time here & where the team is headed i'd say it was a great pick up all the way around !!

It sure beats the Mularkey or Jauron hire , but you will always have those that like when Chan was hired will disagree until his end result is seen & makes the Bills a contender once again .

And even then it won't be enough for those Bills fans that didn't like the hire --- Hell a super bowl wouldn't even make them like him .

As i've learned from reading things on this site there are some Bills fans that just like to B word no matter how good things are or will be & as long as the Bills are in Buffalo it will never change !!!

SAME AS IT EVER WAS :doh: ----------- GO BILLS !!!!!

He makes this list & how many people were all bent out of shape by Buddy hiring him ?? With just what he has done in his short time here & where the team is headed i'd say it was a great pick up all the way around !!

It sure beats the Mularkey or Jauron hire , but you will always have those that like when Chan was hired will disagree until his end result is seen & makes the Bills a contender once again .

And even then it won't be enough for those Bills fans that didn't like the hire --- Hell a super bowl wouldn't even make them like him .

As i've learned from reading things on this site there are some Bills fans that just like to B word no matter how good things are or will be & as long as the Bills are in Buffalo it will never change !!!

SAME AS IT EVER WAS :doh: ----------- GO BILLS !!!!!

Really? better then Mularkey or Jauron, in what way? Both those coaches never went 4-12. what season of what team did you watch last year? The team I watched went 0-8 to start the season and the owner came out and stated PP ....remember?

Then this same team ended the season playing very poorly against two division rivals, and went 4-12 overall.

People like me complain because people like you can't even remember what actually happened last season :wallbash:

Mularkey went 9-7 in 05 and 5-11 in 06, that 9-7 record was the only team with more wins then losses the entire decade of 2000's! Jauron went 7-9 in 06-07-08 and then 6-10 under Fewell and Jauron. BTW that -5-11 under Mularkey was because the team dumped Drew Bledsoe and started JP Losman at QB.

That praise only speaks to his offensive coaching ability, which is excellent. As a head coach he has not been very impressive and he doesn't do himself any favors when he hires coaches like George Edwards.

My concern is that he is not a motivator and has never won anything, yet he has a tendency to blame others before himself and has a tendency to try to prod players thru the media. That might fly for Parcells, but not for a guy who hasn't proven he can win big. He expects results but he hasn't been successful enough in the past to get players to buy in unconditionally to the idea that he is doing everything possible to put them in position to succeed. I just have a suspicion that even if Nix puts the talent on the field for him he is not going to win, either because of bad assistants or a team that is tired of his approach. He will be up in front of the media, exasperated and throwing players under the bus until the team has to replace him and we are left wondering how this seemingly very talented coach just doesn't make a good head coach.

And then he will go someplace else as an OC and be very successful like so many other former Bills head coaches who were really not cut out to be head coaches in the NFL. Hope I am wrong, but that's the feeling I get from observing him last year and knowing his track record at Dallas and GA Tech.

who has he prodded besides Maybin?

People like me complain because people like you can't even remember what actually happened last season :wallbash:

BTW that -5-11 under Mularkey was because the team dumped Drew Bledsoe and started JP Losman at QB.

So Mularkey going 5-11 was only because of a single player's performance, but Gailey had an all-star cast to work with?

"People like you" cant seem to understand the lack of talent we had on this team last year. "People like you" dont understand that the play calling improved exponentially over what we have seen on Offense for the past decade. "People like you" dont realize that it's not the coaches that have to execute on the field, it's the players.

Calling a pass play on 3rd and short is a common complaint around here. I make it some myself. But if you watch other NFL games you'll notice pretty quick that it happens a lot in the NFL. Not just the Bills. I've even seen the coach genius, Billy Bellyache, do this himself. If it works, you're a coaching genius, if not, you're an idiot who should not be coaching in the NFL.

Don't they typically call more than one play, a pass and a run option? Therefore it is actually Fitz making the call based on the defensive front given.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Don't they typically call more than one play, a pass and a run option? Therefore it is actually Fitz making the call based on the defensive front given.

Dont you know that Gailey calls the play, then Gailey snaps the ball to Gailey, and it's up to him to hand off to Gailey or throw to Gailey. As long as Gailey can block for Gailey.

DUH!

You are joking right? If that is a fact then why did nobody want him in the NFL for the past decade, and even he was surprised when the Bills came calling-when they ran out of all other options. Now, I hope he turns this thing around as much as anyone, but you are sounding ridiculous with that statement.

I like Gailey. I wasnt thrilled at all when he got hired. I was like are you kidding me? However, he won me over. We were a four win team last year. We couldve easily been a 7 win team had we beaten Baltimore Pittsburgh and KC. It remains to be seen however, I think these young guys will have learned from that experience last year. The last two games not withstanding these guys fought and never gave up.

Gailey is an old school guy. He's not Greggy coming in thinking he's hot **** and he's not meek and clueless like Juaron. I dont think he blames others before himself as was stated in an earlier post. I think he holds himself accountable. I dont have a problem calling out a player who isnt living up to potential or expectations such as Maybin. Unlike the previous regime he/they arent afraid of admitting mistakes. Cornell Green was a disasterous signing but they didnt keep him around trying to save face. They got rid of him. Albeit quietly but nonetheless got rid of him. Trent? Mistake and he was sent packing. While admitting mistakes doesnt win games its refreshing to see after the previous regime sticking w failed picks and signings. I also like the fact that Chan looks and acts visibly pissed after losses unlike Juaron.

I dont know about the choice of George as our DC and many thought it was a bad idea to go to a 3-4. They way I look at it, if you're gonna make the switch you gotta do it sometime better sooner than later. If we spend a year or two collecting 3-4 players while continuing to play a 4-3 I doubt the result would be much better. Again they brought in Wanstedt and I think we all know why he's here. They arent going to stand pat (no pun intended).

I dont know what the future holds and we may never get over the hump w Chan. But I know that I look forward to watching games more than I have in the last 5 years. Our defense got an infusion of talent through the draft and who knows we may sign some FAs (whenever the agreement is reached). Fitz is the guy from day one in year two of this system. We have some very promising WRs now in their second years plus the emergence of Stevie, Roscoe and now bring in Easley. I'm unsure about RT but the rest of the line comes back healthy (Bell and Wood)..... I'm pretty optomistic. I dont think we're playoff bound just yet but I think we'll hang with and beat a few more teams this year and .500 is a possibility......

Now that's a good, level-headed summation of the situation.

Mularkey too got all kinds of hype for Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox prior to coaching the Bills but was utterly clueless as a head coach. For me, I like a coach who actually wins games. Billichek is a complete tool. But if he's coaching your team, who cares.

Mularkey was the biggest turd we have ever hired. What the hell were they thinking?

The guy was such a turd he actually quit as head coach-Yes Levy and Wilson were totally clueless at that point, and it may have been rock bottom at One Bills Drive, but who quits a head coaching NFL Gig, and then tells the world he was quitting because his kids were being bullied about the team's performance at school. What a pus-say! Him and his kids.

Edited by BuffaloWest

So Mularkey going 5-11 was only because of a single player's performance, but Gailey had an all-star cast to work with?

"People like you" cant seem to understand the lack of talent we had on this team last year. "People like you" dont understand that the play calling improved exponentially over what we have seen on Offense for the past decade. "People like you" dont realize that it's not the coaches that have to execute on the field, it's the players.

You really don't understand the difference between starting a veteran QB in Bledsoe vs an almost rookie 2nd year QB in Losman?

What are you smoking, or drinking....the "play calling" didn't improve exponentially...:lol: another Bills fans that missed the part about 4-12 season. Did you happen to actually watch the last two games of the season against the Jets 38-7 and Patriots 34-3, both those teams were preparing for a playoff run. While the Pats played their starters against Fitz, the Jets played their backups against Brohm. Where was this exponentially improved play calling in those two games?

Understand, it wasn't the play calling that won those 4 games last year. It was because the Bills had a QB that could escape the pass rush to the tune of 6.7 yards per rush, about the same YPR as Michael Vick. Because of that es-capability, Fitz made the O line look better then it actually was.That same QB was able to get rid of the ball to the open receiver in 3 seconds or under on almost every pass play.

People like you will always cry about the lack of talent on the field, just like Ralph Wilson has done for the last 10 years. But its not the lack of talent on the field ...its the lack of talent on the sidelines. It has been the lack of talent on the sidelines since the 90's, with Levy- Phillips. It still is the lack of talent on the sidelines! Chalk up another fan in the long list of fans who seem to think that it was all Chan Gailey and his play calling. Apparently you missed the first two games with Edwards at QB, and that game against the Jets with Brohm at QB.

BTW, to use the term exponentially while referring to the Bills play calling is more then lame. "characterized by an extremely rapid increase (in size or extent)" Meaning you think it drastically improved in some fashion? Exactly how did this happen when the team only won 4 games all year?

From my view the play calling was about the same as when Turk Schonert was calling plays, always a pass play, always in shotgun.

Again, if the play calling rapidly improved during the coarse of the season, what happened in those last two games against the Patriots and Jets?

Don't make me laugh, if this guy were worth a crap he wouldn't have been demoted from OC, and then stripped of play calling, and then ultimately fired 3 weeks before the start of the 08 season while at KC. Then he was out of football for the 09 NFL & college season, if he were actually a decent play caller he would have been employed as such by an NFL team over the last 10 years. He tried to run the pistol offense during his one year at KC, and all it got him was 2 wins and out the door.

Ya know what, when the team goes 0-8 to start the season and then only wins 4 games all season, and those 4 games they won were against cellar dwellers just like the Bills....that doesn't give anyone the right to gloat about how good the HC is at calling plays

Gailey is no better the Turk Schonert as he had his QB's in shotgun most of the entire game, and then he calls a shotgun passing play again on 3rd and short and throws the ball, being unpredictable goes right out the window.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was the only reason last years Buffalo Bills team won 4 games, and he is the only reason the team might win a few games this up coming season. Gailey failed with Trent Edwards after wasting the off season preparing him to start, he also failed with Brian Brohm. So should the Bills pick up a FA QB that can't get the ball out to the open receiver in under 3 seconds like Fitz can....then he will fail with that QB also.

You are joking right? If that is a fact then why did nobody want him in the NFL for the past decade, and even he was surprised when the Bills came calling-when they ran out of all other options. Now, I hope he turns this thing around as much as anyone, but you are sounding ridiculous with that statement.

:w00t: You guys are hilarious