Direct TV Question

Gordio

I was thinking to myself while I was cutting the lawn this weekend, for football season is there anyway I could run a line off my direct tv to bring the TV outside onto my outdoor patio to watch college football saturdays/nfl sundays on one of the nice fall days we have in WNY. I have a system setup in my grate room along with a sustem in my bedroom upstairs & 3 tvs down in my basement. I was thinking the tv setup that is closest to the Patio outside is the one in the 1st floor(grate room). Can I just go to radio shack or something & get extensions to run the lines outside & bring the box & the TV outside?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking to myself while I was cutting the lawn this weekend, for football season is there anyway I could run a line off my direct tv to bring the TV outside onto my outdoor patio to watch college football saturdays/nfl sundays on one of the nice fall days we have in WNY. I have a system setup in my grate room along with a sustem in my bedroom upstairs & 3 tvs down in my basement. I was thinking the tv setup that is closest to the Patio outside is the one in the 1st floor(grate room). Can I just go to radio shack or something & get extensions to run the lines outside & bring the box & the TV outside?

More than likely you'll just need some signal splitters and the cable. Be aware that if your run the line too far you can get signal loss. Radio Shack use to sell (when I use to work there a gazillion years ago) a distribution amp for TV's you want to check that out.

You split the signal after the DTV box. If you want to watch different channels on those TVs you'll need more DTV boxes. They make remove control extenders so you can control the boxes from far away.

Edited by MikeSpeed

I dont see why it would be a problem. My dad something similar (albeit it was about 10 years ago when he did it).

More than likely you'll just need some signal splitters and the cable. Be aware that if your run the line too far you can get signal loss. Radio Shack use to sell (when I use to work there a gazillion years ago) a distribution amp for TV's you want to check that out.

You split the signal after the DTV box. If you want to watch different channels on those TVs you'll need more DTV boxes. They make remove control extenders so you can control the boxes from far away.

What he said. As long as you don't end up with too much of a run and you take your box you would be good to go. You don't even need a splitter just a coax cable extender, and the extra cable to make up the distance.

What he said. As long as you don't end up with too much of a run and you take your box you would be good to go. You don't even need a splitter just a coax cable extender, and the extra cable to make up the distance.

Okay, thanks guys for the insight. Much appreciated. I did not think it was going to be a problem but wanted to make sure. I have pretty big college opener party & I have been thinking about bringing it outside for awhile. I am going to bring the 3 tvs up from the basement & set them up around the patio(I have 3 different boxes for them). We get a keg & I just bought a nice deep fryer from Sears that I am going to fry up some wings & potato skins for that day. We get a keg that I could put right on my deck & we should be good to go weather permitting. Man I am getting excited just thinking about it. It is kind of sad but my 10 year wedding anniversary is next week & I have not put one ounce of thought into that but I can not stop thinking about the possibilities labor day weekend & the opening of college football.

What these guys said but just a heads up. Normal attenuation(signal loss) for standard RG59(typical coax/RF) cable is usually good up to 100ft before there is minimal signal loss. If you got with quad shield RG6 (a little pricier but worth it), you shouldn't have any problems.

What these guys said but just a heads up. Normal attenuation(signal loss) for standard RG59(typical coax/RF) cable is usually good up to 100ft before there is minimal signal loss. If you got with quad shield RG6 (a little pricier but worth it), you shouldn't have any problems.

Okay thanks. It is probably 30-40 feet at the most I would need the extension so we should be good to go.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but here's my suggestion. Go to amazon and order a very long HDMI wire. You can get one real cheap and they run about 50 meters, that should be long enough. The next thing you need to do is convert your remote to a RF setting, real easy to do just go to remote settings and follow the instructions. The RF setting will allow you to control your receiver even though you're in a different room.

All this is for naught if you don't have HD.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but here's my suggestion. Go to amazon and order a very long HDMI wire. You can get one real cheap and they run about 50 meters, that should be long enough. The next thing you need to do is convert your remote to a RF setting, real easy to do just go to remote settings and follow the instructions. The RF setting will allow you to control your receiver even though you're in a different room.

All this is for naught if you don't have HD.

I disagree. Nothing beats the days of sitting in the garage in the middle of winter with the rabbit ears on the 10" tv with a deep fryer in the corner and a keg in the other.

Good call on the RF remote setting though. Complete forgot about that.

Edited by The Wiz

I disagree. Nothing beats the days of sitting in the garage in the middle of winter with the rabbit ears on the 10" tv with a deep fryer in the corner and a keg in the other.

That's not what I meant. The set up I suggested will be all for nothing if he doesn't have HD. And then again, he can always order a long component wire and do the same thing.

That's not what I meant. The set up I suggested will be all for nothing if he doesn't have HD. And then again, he can always order a long component wire and do the same thing.

I gotcha.

Only problem I could see is if he was going HDMI or component, with a three-way split, he would likely need a distribution amplifier which is why I just suggested going coax. Simple and gets the job done easily. That is even assuming his box has an RF out. I don't know how high tech directv is making people be.

I split the HDMI cable for the outdoor tv on my backyard man cave. I ran 25 ft of flat HDMI under the carpet and thru the wall to the outdoor TV. It was dirt cheap at monoprice.com. If you go the coax route I ran a buried line of RG6 well over 100 ft from my house and the signal is fine. My friends joke that I should have just built a wall with a TV on it in my backyard since I never really watch anything inside the man cave anymore since I put up the outdoor TV.

Nah, I have HD so I will get what you suggested. Can not wait to try it out. Maybe even try it out for a baseball game on one of the upcoming Saturdays in July. Thanks.

No matter where you run a DTV line, you are going to need a reciever/box for the TV or it won't work.

I split the HDMI cable for the outdoor tv on my backyard man cave. I ran 25 ft of flat HDMI under the carpet and thru the wall to the outdoor TV. It was dirt cheap at monoprice.com. If you go the coax route I ran a buried line of RG6 well over 100 ft from my house and the signal is fine. My friends joke that I should have just built a wall with a TV on it in my backyard since I never really watch anything inside the man cave anymore since I put up the outdoor TV.

I was visiting my friend down in Greensboro last year & he kind of gave me the idea. He built a beautifull deck with a bar in the middle & had 3 tvs mounted with a canopy covering the bar area.. He dropped a hot tub into the lower lever of the deck. It was awesome. I am not looking to do something that extravagant. You could do that in NC where the weather is nicer/more predictable. I am just looking to enjoy a few nice fall days outside in WNY come football season.

No matter where you run a DTV line, you are going to need a reciever/box for the TV or it won't work.

Yeah I know. I was going to bring the receivers & tvs from my bar in the basement(I have 3) outside on the patio.

I was visiting my friend down in Greensboro last year & he kind of gave me the idea. He built a beautifull deck with a bar in the middle & had 3 tvs mounted with a canopy covering the bar area.. He dropped a hot tub into the lower lever of the deck. It was awesome. I am not looking to do something that extravagant. You could do that in NC where the weather is nicer/more predictable. I am just looking to enjoy a few nice fall days outside in WNY come football season.

The TV is underneath a lean to porch so even if it's raining I usually still watch outside. I have a fire pit out there too so I even watched the BCS champoinship out there in the snow. That set up your friend has sounds awesome. My next upgrade that I'm thinking about is getting a projector and outdoor screen so I can watch night games and movies on a 12 ft screen. It depends on what I'll have to concede to my wife to get the go ahead for that! To be honest, I was considering doing away with the ticket a few years ago before I put up the outdoor TV, but it has made an otherwise miserable Bills game viewing experience a blast.

The TV is underneath a lean to porch so even if it's raining I usually still watch outside. I have a fire pit out there too so I even watched the BCS champoinship out there in the snow. That set up your friend has sounds awesome. My next upgrade that I'm thinking about is getting a projector and outdoor screen so I can watch night games and movies on a 12 ft screen. It depends on what I'll have to concede to my wife to get the go ahead for that! To be honest, I was considering doing away with the ticket a few years ago before I put up the outdoor TV, but it has made an otherwise miserable Bills game viewing experience a blast.

Yeah that sounds sweet what you have. I would love to do something like that up here but the weather is just not nice enough. It is not even the cold that would bother me but it is the fuggin wind that we usually get with the cold weather. If it was just cold like you said I could bring the fire pit over & make it a day. My friend says he watches stuff out there pretty much all year round. He says he has a couple portable heat lamps he will bring out when the weather starts turning. He was telling me his favorite time of year to go out there is for the bowl games/bcs games. He loves it.

Nah, I have HD so I will get what you suggested. Can not wait to try it out. Maybe even try it out for a baseball game on one of the upcoming Saturdays in July. Thanks.

Cool! This is the best way, IMO, you don't have to move your receiver, you don't have to re-boot your receiver, either. All you have to do is move the TV and remote outdoors. That's it. Your only problem will be how to get your HDMI outside without leaving any windows/doors open. You might have to drill a hole through your wall.

One of the other posters, I forget whom, said you may need other things to make this setup work, but that's just not true.