Chiefs Player Saves Kid

http://www.kmbc.com/r/28223586/detail.html Nice to see something positive during this bad offseason. What really weirded me out was that the anniversary of when Chiefs RB Joe Delaney drowned trying to save those boys just passed. Real sad story anybody who never heard about it.

The Joe Delaney was in sports illustrated back when it was worth subscribing to read...

Really? Jumped into a pool to save a kid who was "struggling" to swim? I guess that's heroic or something...in the sense that he's an athlete that didn't do something to land himself behind bars.

Hmmm… you weren't there so you really have no idea what happened and how major a role Leonard Pope may or may not have played in saving a life.

That being the case, why the negativity?

Why comment at all really?

Sounds like Pope acted quickly to assist in what he thought was a critical situation for the youngster -- which is commendable in itself, even if not rising to the level of "heroic."

Edit: just found another article on the incident. This is interesting -- "Apparently, Pope was the only adult at the scene who knew how to swim, which — let's go ahead and say it — speaks to some less-than-stellar planning when it comes to a pool party."

Again, it's hard to say if the kid was really going to drown -- it appears his mother kind of freaked out, which prompted Pope's action -- but it makes for some good, positive press regarding a pro athlete for once.

Nice job, Leonard. :thumbsup:

Edited by eball

Hmmm… you weren't there so you really have no idea what happened and how major a role Leonard Pope may or may not have played in saving a life.

I've jumped in to swimming pools twice for kids who couldn't swim (once for my niece, once for a friend's daughter). Does that make me twice the hero?

No. Because it's not heroic. It's a common-sense action that any remotely decent and sane human being would take. I simply object to the ridiculous American tendency to exaggerate any decent act to the point of heroism and deification.

I've jumped in to swimming pools twice for kids who couldn't swim (once for my niece, once for a friend's daughter). Does that make me twice the hero?

No. Because it's not heroic. It's a common-sense action that any remotely decent and sane human being would take. I simply object to the ridiculous American tendency to exaggerate any decent act to the point of heroism and deification.

Then why did you do it?

Then why did you do it?

I like kids. They're unspoiled...they're genuinely curious, don't have brains poisoned by a life full of spoon-fed bull ****, and generally are too young to have a misplaced sense of self-importance, so don't feel the crying need to justify it. Were it adults in the pool, I'd probably have thrown cinder blocks.

(Plus...celieve it or not, in real life I'm not the same !@#$ I am on the board.)

As our man Chris Rock says...

"I take care of my kids." You're supposed to, you dumb motherf**ker! What kind of ignorant s**t is that?! "I ain't never been to jail!" What do you want, a cookie?! You're not supposed to go to jail, you low-expectation-having motherf**ker!

(I wish I could quote more of that bit, but it's too filled with language that I won't even copy+paste)

I like kids. They're unspoiled...they're genuinely curious, don't have brains poisoned by a life full of spoon-fed bull ****, and generally are too young to have a misplaced sense of self-importance, so don't feel the crying need to justify it. Were it adults in the pool, I'd probably have thrown cinder blocks.

(Plus...celieve it or not, in real life I'm not the same !@#$ I am on the board.)

It was a joke. :P

Really? Jumped into a pool to save a kid who was "struggling" to swim? I guess that's heroic or something...in the sense that he's an athlete that didn't do something to land himself behind bars.

Well that WAS heroic on your part. You shouldn't shortchange yourself and you shouldn't shortchange others.

Many people have performed acts that reveal certain virtues of character… whether or not they've disclosed such acts. These are actions which we should laud. I don't understand the negativity… we're supposed to be happy and good with these sorts of actions. There's not enough of it in this world.

Pope did not seek any media coverage regarding this from what I've read. In fact he hasn't commented on it at all. So I guess you're annoyed at the media but it didn't seem that way when you were commenting about an athlete not landing himself behind bars.

Ok I have to say this.

Never, Never, NEVER jump into a pool or any body of water to save a struggling swimmer. Talk the swimmer towards shallow water or throw something to extend your reach. Jump into the water when the swimmer stops struggling - and revive them on shore. Drastically lowers the odds of a double drowning.

Throw - Row - Go

Basic water rescue.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/28223586/detail.html Nice to see something positive during this bad offseason. What really weirded me out was that the anniversary of when Chiefs RB Joe Delaney drowned trying to save those boys just passed. Real sad story anybody who never heard about it.

Great story ... yes, a simple act but heroic because all too many people wouldn't do it.

To lessen what he did is again a sorry commentary on people who live on this board. If you stepped out to rescue a swimmer then kudo's to you too.

Let's all take a deep breath when good stories get posted and refrain from having to be critical.

Ok I have to say this.

Never, Never, NEVER jump into a pool or any body of water to save a struggling swimmer. Talk the swimmer towards shallow water or throw something to extend your reach. Jump into the water when the swimmer stops struggling - and revive them on shore. Drastically lowers the odds of a double drowning.

Throw - Row - Go

Basic water rescue.

Never knew this. Hopefully ill never need it but it makes good sense. I actually learned something educational on TBD today... and my gf thinks i waste too much time on this site <_< shows what she knows :nana:

Never knew this. Hopefully ill never need it but it makes good sense. I actually learned something educational on TBD today... and my gf thinks i waste too much time on this site <_< shows what she knows :nana:

Nick is correct. However, if you are 6'8" 264lbs and a small child is drowning in a shallow pool, by all means immediately jump in and save them. Dont go to the store to buy a boat to row over to them, it'll be too late. Use some discretion. ;)