Sarah Palin writes at an eight grade reading level

are you proposing the existence of a direct correlation between intellectual achievement and conservatism?

I would tend to say that there is more of a direct correlation between common sense and conservatism. There are plenty of liberals who obtain "intellectual achievement" but that is granted them by their peers, who we know are inbred to the point idiocy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a talking head last week comment that at the end of this "scour the Palin emails" episode, the only ones who will come out looking stupid will be the media.

And I'm happy to advance the rigth-wing partisan hack notion that the media can not hire enough people to investigate these emails, and yet had no interest in hiring all these "investigators" to review the health care bill. Or the stimulus bill. Or anything else that advances their moronic agenda.

But Sarah Palin. Now THAT needs some digging, boys! Get to work!

You must have confused our leftwing main stream media that pretends to be journalists with actual journalism.

I'll take 8th writing level Palin over the "wisdom" of ivy league community organizing Obama any day. Why is the media so obsessed with trying to rip this woman apart? what about her makes them so scared they have to devote so much to discredit her?

You must have confused our leftwing main stream media that pretends to be journalists with actual journalism.

I'll take 8th writing level Palin over the "wisdom" of ivy league community organizing Obama any day. Why is the media so obsessed with trying to rip this woman apart? what about her makes them so scared they have to devote so much to discredit her?

They are afraid that her common sense approach and folksy ways will actually appeal to the unworthy and unwashed masses that need to be told how to live their lives.

They are afraid that her common sense approach and folksy ways will actually appeal to the unworthy and unwashed masses that need to be told how to live their lives.

Let me add that it's not just the democrats who are afraid of her, it's the republicans as well. She represents a wholesale change of the way Washington works. The establishment in general is scared (blank)less of her.

i really think there needs to be an intellect level requirement to hold that office...

All current evidence is masterfully to the contrary. The only thing that makes Barack Obama even remotely seem intelligent is standing next to Joe Biden while shaking Anthony Weiner's hand.

But you keep moving along that "Sarah Palin is stupid" meme because someone has to make DailyKos their first source for political news, and you seem like just the guy to do it.

I'm proposing that conservatism is about empowering the (intelligent) individual, while liberalism is about controlling the (dumb) masses.

The evidence of is indisputable.

Unless you are a dumbass with an Obama bumper sticker!!!! :thumbsup:

i think on an intellectual level she's the near equivalent of baby bush. she just doesn't have the old money, preppy. ivy league, always land on your feet legacy he did. and that's likely why so many seem to find her appealing. i really think there needs to be an intellect level requirement to hold that office but many people obviously disagree. "idiocracy" is life imitating art.

Unfortunately, the history of intellectuals in leadership isn't very good - they have a nasty tendency to overthink problems, and fail to understand why reality refuses to conform to their elegant theoretical notions of "what ought to be".

Which is not to say that leadership varies inversely with IQ either. I suspect that the best leaders, though, tend to be "above average but not MENSA" smart. Obama, I think, is too smart for his own good.

This notion that Obama is "smart"...what has he done to prove that?

Write a book? Snooki wrote a book.

Go to an Ivy League school? So did that "idiot" W.

Spend lots of time in gubmit and write and pass lots of legislation? Yeah, right.

Spend time in the private sector and run a business or act as a political pundit of some sort and do lots of writing? Nope.

So?

Edited by RkFast

I'm with you. I thought the height of her idiocy came through that day she commented on how she was out visting all 57 states.

Dumb as rocks, man. Dumb as rocks.

It was even worse when she said FDR went on TV in 1929 after the market crash and told everyone what happened. What a retard.

i think on an intellectual level she's the near equivalent of baby bush. she just doesn't have the old money, preppy. ivy league, always land on your feet legacy he did. and that's likely why so many seem to find her appealing. i really think there needs to be an intellect level requirement to hold that office but many people obviously disagree. "idiocracy" is life imitating art.

You're right about Idiocracy coming to fruition. The next thing you know we'll elect a smooth talking celbrity pop-culture icon whose resume highlights consist of being a community organizer and beating out Alan Keyes for a Senate seat.

She writes at an eight grade reading level? Sounds like she's got you beat Booster! :D

I assume it is something similar to the Flesch–Kincaid readability score. So in other words, what she writes grades out at an 8.5 on a scale of how easy it is to read. At least that was the way that stuff was explained to me, could be wrong. :nana:

Nothing like a bit of good old-fashioned anti-intellectualism to show support for your favorite fundamentalist idiot...

Let's burn some books...Go Team!

Most intellectuals are little more than a waste of skin.

Speaking as an intellectual, myself...

I'm proposing that conservatism is about empowering the (intelligent) individual, while liberalism is about controlling the (dumb) masses.

The evidence of is indisputable.

i'll admit that liberals court impoverished (and therefore frequently undereducated voters) but not through deliberate educational repression. clinton was the last president that seriously tackled medicaid reform. it's generally cheaper to give hand outs than to actually change cultures and educational levels and i believe that's why more hasn't been done in this regard by both dems and repubs. it's the least expensive route to a reasonable level of civil obedience.

conservatives court other less educated groups but by different means- social issues like abortion, gun rights and immigration. there's no monopoly on seeking dumb (m)asses votes.

Most intellectuals are little more than a waste of skin.

Speaking as an intellectual, myself...

Hard to argue with straight-up facts. :lol:

Your point about intellectuals over-thinking things and therefore not making good leaders is interesting though. Perhaps thinking with one's "gut" or asking "god" for advice or even flipping a coin is better than over-thinking in a leadership role. It's an interesting idea at least, even if it is disappointingly counter-intuitive.

i'll admit that liberals court impoverished (and therefore frequently undereducated voters) but not through deliberate educational repression.

Assuming you don't count "your credit card debt/home foreclosure/inability to get a college education or a job is the fault of those evil rich people!!!" as deliberate educational repression.

i'll admit that liberals court impoverished (and therefore frequently undereducated voters) but not through deliberate educational repression. clinton was the last president that seriously tackled medicaid reform. it's generally cheaper to give hand outs than to actually change cultures and educational levels and i believe that's why more hasn't been done in this regard by both dems and repubs. it's the least expensive route to a reasonable level of civil obedience.

conservatives court other less educated groups but by different means- social issues like abortion, gun rights and immigration. there's no monopoly on seeking dumb (m)asses votes.

There's always a pool of uneducated (unwashed) voters that every party will try to sway one way or another. One person, one vote.

But don't distract from the topic at hand. Sarah Palin is barely smarter than a 5th grader!

Your point about intellectuals over-thinking things and therefore not making good leaders is interesting though. Perhaps thinking with one's "gut" or asking "god" for advice or even flipping a coin is better than over-thinking in a leadership role. It's an interesting idea at least, even if it is disappointingly counter-intuitive.

Similar to what Tom said, I heard a story recently about an invesment broker who brought on understudies and gave them a trial run. He found that the smartest people often did very poorly because they were so used to being right that when their investments didn't perform to expectation they stuck with them, whereas the non-genius types would reevaluate and change accordingly.

The moral is that you want to be careful following the smartest guy in the room because his hubris might blind him to his mistakes, while others tend to be more self-aware. Not that I think Obama is the smartest guy in too many rooms, mind you.

You know what's worse than intellectuals?

Pseudo-intellectuals

Good thing we don't have any of those around here...