Bicyclists, Do you ride properly in the bike lane?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great video!

However, bikers in NYC are going to have to endure a little more harassment before getting any of my sympathy. They are notoriously aggressive and unconcerned with pedestrian safety. And they rarely follow the rules of the road.

Great video!

However, bikers in NYC are going to have to endure a little more harassment before getting any of my sympathy. They are notoriously aggressive and unconcerned with pedestrian safety. And they rarely follow the rules of the road.

I've almost killed two this week alone who ran red lights.

Great video!

Oh sure, by no means am I implying all bikers are right or anything like that. I live in a neighborhood in Metro Atlanta and almost hit about 1 biker a day as they blow through stop signs.

Am I the lone representative of the biking community here in this pile on?

I am very respectful of cars, and here in Chicago, it's generally a mutual understanding that bikes will blow through stop signs, and cars are happy to comply. It's really the most efficient thing for everyone on the road, really. Trust me when I say that.

What I cannot tolerate, though, is car-on-bike hostility, of any kind. Yes, you could get a dent in the side of your car if one of us were to zig when the other zags. Turns out I could get a dent in my lungs/heart/brain in the same collision. The cyclist has so much more to lose. I implore you motorists to empathize with this notion.

Now, spindly hipster messengers, they're a whole different story. They're at the extreme, they ride like maniacs, they are, in fact, a menace to the roads. But to lop your feelings about all cyclists based on run-ins with those a-holes is potentially dangerous.

Temper that anger, before you hurt someone undeserving of your ire.

I am very respectful of cars, and here in Chicago, it's generally a mutual understanding that bikes will blow through stop signs, and cars are happy to comply. It's really the most efficient thing for everyone on the road, really. Trust me when I say that.

What I cannot tolerate, though, is car-on-bike hostility, of any kind. Yes, you could get a dent in the side of your car if one of us were to zig when the other zags. Turns out I could get a dent in my lungs/heart/brain in the same collision. The cyclist has so much more to lose. I implore you motorists to empathize with this notion.

Now, spindly hipster messengers, they're a whole different story. They're at the extreme, they ride like maniacs, they are, in fact, a menace to the roads. But to lop your feelings about all cyclists based on run-ins with those a-holes is potentially dangerous.

"I am respectful of cars but blow through stop signs at will." :huh:

Sorry, that may be most efficient for YOU, but it isn't terribly efficient for the motorist who now has to wonder whether the jackass on the bike realizes he DOESN'T have the right-of-way.

Edited by Taro T

For a small car, that Prius is pretty heavy. If you don't kill them w/it, you'll definitely !@#$ them up.

Actually, for a variety of reasons this week, I'm driving the pickup truck. :devil:

BY LAW, bicyclists are required to follow the same rules of the road as cars. So if you wilfully want to run a stop sign and challenge my right-of-way on nothing more than "I'm more fragile" or "it's inconvenient," I'm more than happy to disabuse you of that notion.

If, on the other hand, you want to act like a responsible adult, we'll get along fine. Your choice...since I'm not the one breaking any traffic laws.

"I am respectful of cars but blow through stop signs at will." :huh:

Sorry, that may be most efficient for YOU, but it isn't terribly efficient for the motorist who now has to wonder whether the jackass on the bike realizes he DOESN'T have the right-of-way.

If you put something in quotes, you damn well better get the words right, homey.

Actually, for a variety of reasons this week, I'm driving the pickup truck. :devil:

BY LAW, bicyclists are required to follow the same rules of the road as cars. So if you wilfully want to run a stop sign and challenge my right-of-way on nothing more than "I'm more fragile" or "it's inconvenient," I'm more than happy to disabuse you of that notion.

If, on the other hand, you want to act like a responsible adult, we'll get along fine. Your choice...since I'm not the one breaking any traffic laws.

I'm well aware of the law, as is every motorist who locks eyes with you and waves you through.

If the motorist doesn't make eye contact with me, I stop.

9/10 times it doesn't work that way, and the motorists who sees you prefers you just go. This prevents the: you go, no you go, no YOU go, NO YOU GO exchange which ends up costing EVERYONE at the intersection more time, especially if the cyclist has to now go from a complete stop. So yes, I stand by my choice of words: EFFICIENT.

Also, I'm not talking about these types of intersection exchanges when I refer to my precious fragility.

I mean more like the ones where cars swerve into or close to bikers, then have the nerve to yell at the biker for being in their "god damned way!" FAR too often motorists yell at bikers they almost hit simply because the motorist didn't see them (motorists fault, not the bikers' fault). And in these instances, rather than give a simple, courteous "my bad," motorists will then spend the next half block chewing a new one through their window, from the safety of their cars.

Where does THAT ire come from, run ins with the aforementioned messengers, no doubt.

Edited by The Big Cat

I'm well aware of the law, as is every motorist who locks eyes with you and waves you through.

9/10 times it doesn't work that way, and the motorists who sees you prefers you just go. This prevents the: you go, no you go, no YOU go, NO YOU GO exchange which ends up costing EVERYONE at the intersection more time, especially if the cyclist has to now go from a complete stop.

That's the motorists' fault for being an idiot (much like the incredibly stupid drivers who hold up a major six-lane artery to let someone exit a parking lot, and end up gridlocking traffic, which is why no one can get out of a parking lot in the first place). Right-of-way exists for a goddamned reason. No need to feed the stupidity of others by being just as stupid.

Which is why, if you blow a stop sign in front of me, I will run you down. I don't want to kill a bicyclist...but if they actively indulge a death wish, it ceases to be my responsibility...

That's the motorists' fault for being an idiot (much like the incredibly stupid drivers who hold up a major six-lane artery to let someone exit a parking lot, and end up gridlocking traffic, which is why no one can get out of a parking lot in the first place). Right-of-way exists for a goddamned reason. No need to feed the stupidity of others by being just as stupid.

Which is why, if you blow a stop sign in front of me, I will run you down. I don't want to kill a bicyclist...but if they actively indulge a death wish, it ceases to be my responsibility...

No, you won't run me down. Because I'll see that you have no intention of letting me go, and I'll wait till you're through the intersection.

I'm in no position to challenge a car. So why is it you have to be a hard ass about it?

It should be the other way around. You are traveling the same arteries that were designed for 2 ton vehicles traveling at 30 MPH. It's up to you to be mindful & respectful of laws of physics.

It should be the other way around. You are traveling the same arteries that were designed for 2 ton vehicles traveling at 30 MPH. It's up to you to be mindful & respectful of laws of physics.

I could have sworn this was a thread about bike lanes, and roads that have them, like the two I take to get to work every day. Seems to me that those roads were designed in the bikers' interest just as much as the cars'.

I could have sworn this was a thread about bike lanes, and roads that have them, like the two I take to get to work every day. Seems to me that those roads were designed in the bikers' interest just as much as the cars'.

I could have sworn those bike lanes intersect real traffic lanes at some point.

I could have sworn those bike lanes intersect real traffic lanes at some point.

Your implication that bike traffic is somehow "fake" traffic goes hand in hand with the same lack of respect that could potentially harm somebody I mentioned earlier.

No, you won't run me down. Because I'll see that you have no intention of letting me go, and I'll wait till you're through the intersection.

I'm in no position to challenge a car. So why is it you have to be a hard ass about it?

Because you're being such an elitist prick about it. "Share the road" works both ways. And because, while many bicyclists I interact with on the road know the rules, so many don't, and they royally piss me off.

Not that most drivers are any better, honestly...while I've seen plenty of cyclists blow red lights (through heavy traffic, without looking. Death wish, like I said), I can honestly say I've never seen a cyclist blow a red light while texting.

Basically, people are idiots, and I'm comfortable with the whole concept of "they died because they were stupid".

If you put something in quotes, you damn well better get the words right, homey.

9/10 times it doesn't work that way, and the motorists who sees you prefers you just go. This prevents the: you go, no you go, no YOU go, NO YOU GO exchange which ends up costing EVERYONE at the intersection more time, especially if the cyclist has to now go from a complete stop. So yes, I stand by my choice of words: EFFICIENT.

Also, I'm not talking about these types of intersection exchanges when I refer to my precious fragility.

I mean more like the ones where cars swerve into or close to bikers, then have the nerve to yell at the biker for being in their "god damned way!" FAR too often motorists yell at bikers they almost hit simply because the motorist didn't see them (motorists fault, not the bikers' fault). And in these instances, rather than give a simple, courteous "my bad," motorists will then spend the next half block chewing a new one through their window, from the safety of their cars.

Where does THAT ire come from, run ins with the aforementioned messengers, no doubt.

Homey, really. Wow, what a dink you are.

And I stand by my contention that it may work for YOU but it does nothing to make the motorist's trip (or the trips of those behind / around him) any more efficient.

Lots of bikers where I live and they are a pain in the ass. They seem to like the long and windy roads that I find a re good cut threw roads, but often these roads have no shoulder, and there one lane in each direction, and the bikers hog the lane and force the cars to go 10 miles and hour. Bikers are pretty douche to me.

Your implication that bike traffic is somehow "fake" traffic goes hand in hand with the same lack of respect that could potentially harm somebody I mentioned earlier.

Bike traffic is fake traffic, specifically due to the laws of physics.